Vivaldi Browser

login123

Anybody tried the Vivaldi Browser?  New from the founder & former CEO of Opera.  

Using it right now, its already very good, just an early build.  

Visually it is reminiscent of the older Opera. 

Quite fast, still lacks a few features but those are on the way, they say.  

Doesn't work very well in Sandboxie, slows waay down, maybe later.  

If they make it for Blackberry, like the old Opera Mini which won't work on newer Blackberrys (Blackberries?) I'll do back flips.  

Or maybe just imagine back flips. 

A link:

https://vivaldi.com

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I like it and am hoping that it will be a replacement for my Opera 12.17. I've tried it on XP and Win 8.1.

They are doing weekly beta releases. The  weekly snapshot here along with the tech release one.

https://vivaldi.net/blogs/teamblog/item/15-weekly-snapshot-1-0-129-2

They are working on Mail and bookmarks bar works.

Worked okay for me using Sandboxie login, (of course I could have just been lucky :))

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Well, I'm using an old version of Sandboxie (imagine that :) ) so that may be it.  

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

Bear in mind it is work in progress but it is functional for me. (built in spell checker for 'functunal'!!) 

Inspect element (dragonfly) still available.

Image properties (where you can click on an image and it tells you which make of camera took the picture etc, not available yet)

Screenie 1 shows what you see clicking on the icon next to a loaded site in the address bar.  Screenie 2 shows how you can allow or deny the cookies. All built in by default.

Worth a run out Andavari just for a test. Just use the tech preview.

Posting this from Vivaldi.

EDIT screenies are other way around!

post-1555-0-58896500-1426922035_thumb.jpg

post-1555-0-24248300-1426922049_thumb.jpg

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

A quote from the developer gives hope that they will keep to their original vision.  

"Fast forward to 2015, the browser we once loved has changed its direction. Sadly, it is no longer serving its community of users and contributors who helped build the browser in the first place.

SO WE CAME TO A NATURAL CONCLUSION:
We must make a new browser. . . . "

Some more Screenshots:

Thanks for the screenshots.

I'll wait for them to come out with the first stable release version, and hopefully have a full add-ons/plugins base to work with it too that's also stable.

Wait. That's a good idea. 

For some reason this release installs to an unusual path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe

Had a problem here, could not get the Vivaldi.exe process to quit. 

- procexp by sysinternals won't kill it

- KillProcess.exe by orangelamp won't kill it

- killbox.exe (pocket killbox) won't kill it

- unlocker did delete it

- the uninstaller leaves lots of junk in the above path. 

• Moderators

Well they can learn to not be like Chrome putting stuff in those deeply buried paths which can cause issues like you've discovered. I stated I'll wait for a stable build, well now it will have to be a stable portable build so I can place it in a more logical path.

You can select the installation folder, I just didn't. 

. . . \Local Settings\Application Data\, who knew?  :blink:

Also something going on with the browser, when you minimize it it always pops back up once, you have to minimize it again.

That probably means something to you guys who know about such things. . .I don't. . . so will just write it off to a beta bug for now. 

But for those who know less than I (there must be someone) it is certainly a good idea to wait. 

• Moderators

login I had no problem minimizing the browser (did it to save the screenshots for posting)

There again different machines...different results :)

I do have high hopes for this browser, it is being developed at a cracking pace.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I do have high hopes for this browser, it is being developed at a cracking pace.

Me too. 

I shall stay with the new developments, install he latest versions, etc. 

I even joined their forum.  :)

Don't usually do that, but this is a good'un, as DennisD says. 

There is an interview with Jon S. von Tetzchner here.  

It sounds like Vivaldi will be a big player, like Opera was.  

Apparently von Tetzchner left Opera because investors were changing its direction.

https://medium.com/@burek/jon-s-von-tetzchner-we-will-re-create-a-browser-you-love-123f766386c4

I reinstalled it into c:\program files\ Vivaldi and it behaves much better.   :)

• Moderators

I jumped on their forum and looked around the website but couldn't find any timeframe for it go come out a tech preview.

has anyone heard any news on that front?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Tech preview 2 is at the link in post 1, it is version TP2.1.0.118.19.exe.  

They say they publish a new working version each Monday.  

Is that what you mean?  

• Moderators

Tech preview 2 is at the link in post 1, it is version TP2.1.0.118.19.exe.  

They say they publish a new working version each Monday.  

Is that what you mean?  

No, but I missed that anyway so thanks.

What I wanted to know (if any does) is have they announced a timeframe for when the first non-beta release - the first 'bug-free' feature-rich version will go live?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Have not seen a date for a final release. 

I'm running that release above, it works really well after it installed to c:\progra~1. 

Doesn't crash, works fast, looks good, lots of features similar to Opera 12.17 but some different.

There is a hiccup here and there, mostly my floundering around trying to learn how to use it, I guess. 

But no danger to the OS or my top-secret-crypto data.  :P

• 3 weeks later...

Opera 12.17

Not sure about you guys' reasons, but 4 me it was difficult (not 2 say ridiculous :)) to accept Opera's packaging of Chromium... Or, anyone else's for that matter *cough* Google Chrome. Looking forward to this!.. As my alternate browser, to MSIE.

Blah, just kidding, ofc., meh. Firefox is primary (until they completely destroy it, 2), Mozilla FTW.

mcdty0-2.png

von Tetzchner's Opera was really great but began to go downhill after version 12.17, imho. 

It was based on the Presto engine which still belongs to Opera ASA, so Vivaldi uses the Chromium engine. 

I shall follow it closely because von Tetzchner did so well with early Opera. 

He just seems to know how to build a good browser, and he does not have a group of investors to contend with now. 

In the interview it mentions that Vivaldi has only one investor. 

Oic, dang... So, it's (just) another Chromium build; argh. Can't stand it, because it follows the (modern) trend of integration... Exactly the reason why Firefox is going down the hill, fast (4 the past, many, versions).

^^ You know how back-in-the-day, for example, the only way to insure a safe database was to keep the Internet and the Intranet completely separate... The golden rule (as, in: disconnected, usually physically). These days, everything is integrated - putting faith and trust into someone else's hands, amazingly. Privacy and Terms agreements grow ever larger, because it's funny to expect such software to be (even remotely, lol) secure and, yet, it seems to be the way forward (I can't understand it, whatever :)).

In any case, shame about the engine; might give it a whirl, still - tnx!! =)

mcdty0-2.png

Well, wait a minute.  I double checked, it may NOT be based on chromium.  Am still looking now. 

Don't know enough about it say definitively, but Hazelnut would. 

Edit:  It says here that Vivaldi is based on Blink and Chromium, but i don't care, I shall stay with it. 

http://www.cnet.com/news/ex-opera-ceo-launches-new-browser-vivaldi/