Adding more applications to be monitored ?

KapnJackSparrow

is it possible to add more applications to be monitored ? I am running portable everything... so I guess the first question is does the monitoring support things like firefox? how does it detect them (HKLM/Software/Mozilla) ?

Ideally I would like to have ccleaner running in the background and detect when I close another program such as firefox, Iron etc.. and wipe the leftover usage tracks. is it possible to set the check computer every _ below 1 hour, and clean if it saves more than _ below 0.1 gb I normally only have 10mb or less since I try to prevent the logs from being created in the first place.

I am running portable everything... so I guess the first question is does the monitoring support things like firefox

Portable Firefox could be a terrible mistake if you are concerned about secure deleting of your activities.

I have in the past tried the Portable version from PortableApps

http://portableapps....irefox_portable

At that time, and very probably even now, it was basically a NON-portable variant which used the STANDARD FIREFOX user profile for all user data,

and the "portable trick" was to take a "INSTALLED-SNAPSHOT" of the user profile and then restore to that profile any previous LAST-USER-DATA,

and then Firefox runs and updates this "common" user profile with your current user data.

When Firefox is closed then PortableApps will copy your latest user data from your user profile into the LAST-USER-DATA ready for use then next time,

AND ADDITIONALLY will clean up all OBVIOUS traces in the STANDARD FIREFOX user profile by copying back the "INSTALLED-SNAPSHOT".

I strongly suspect that OBVIOUS traces are simply deleted and instantly recovered by RECUVA.

If you are concerned about security you should consider Portable Palemoon which does NOT create or use a standard user profile.

Palemoon is based on the same open source software as Firefox and can run the same Add-ons.

http://www.palemoon.org/

They have an active forum and most questions are answered very quickly.

N.B.

I believe that :-

Portable Palemoon is so portable that two separate instances may run simultaneously with separate profiles and no conflict;

Portable Firefox had no such capability when I tried that in the past.

Incidentally, I never feel the need to Secure wipe and remove my traces,

but I gave up Firefox (installed) and went to Palemoon (installed) because every other day the CCleaner forum was unreadable with Firefox and its rabid update cycle,

whilst Palemoon never let me down.

• Moderators

it was basically a NON-portable variant which used the STANDARD FIREFOX user profile for all user data...

It's also rather unnerving should Portable Firefox crash, because it will leave behind stuff in the AppData folder for the profile, it can also put settings into the registry.

Hahaha hmm I will look into that. I noticed it does leave some empty folders behind and registry keys around which would be indicative of its existence but nothing beyond that. Palemoon does the same with the empty folders at least. I haven't detected anything else though I will run recuva to see if it finds anything.

I was already using Palemoon portable (Love it) (I just kept Firefox portable around for compatibility since it's closer to the "official" version.)

At the moment I have Palemoon Portable, Firefox Portable, Iron portable, Opera Portable, Google chrome portable (never use it though), Maxthon Portable, SeaMonkey Portable, Thunderbird Portable, and Foxit, and others I have forgotten about. (yes except for Palemoon all from portableapps.com)

Since I have many operating systems I try to separated the applications from the Operating system as much as possible. So the majority of the time I am pointing to something that either has never been installed or was installed under a different operating system. So is there any way of adding stuff to be monitored? It would be nice to have CCleaner run after palemoon closed.

N.B I did test trying to run two different profiles of palemoon portable at the same time the second copy loads the profile of which ever was loaded first. To be fair though that is pretty good I remember way back I did have firefox portable make quite a mess if another firefox was loaded at the same time.

It’s also unlikely strictly speaking that and unwanted entity, (some jerk, angry girlfriend..etc) would be able to recover the data since the drive is encrypted however since I have had issues with programs such as vlc (when trying to play an incomplete file) picking up pieces of deleted files and playing them I like to make sure when I delete something it is really gone.

Edit : I did check the system partion with recuva and found no evidance of any deleted files created or left over by firefox portable so maybe they improved their methods ?

• Moderators

It's also rather unnerving should Portable Firefox crash, because it will leave behind stuff in the AppData folder for the profile, it can also put settings into the registry.

this has been mostly fixed in the portable apps platform, a cleanup is performed on next run, however I do have a portable leftovers winapp2 entry made just in case.

back to the original question. Because there is no environmental variable for portable drives, it is not possible for ccleaner to detect them in most cases. This is untrue for Opera and Firefox, which piriform has included the "custom locations" settings edit. For all other portable apps you use the program may already clean them with a bit of tweaking

1)Create an empty Winapp2.ini file

2) run ccleaner in Export switch.

3)open the created winapp.ini (not to be confused with the new blank winapp2.ini)

4)find you program(s) and copy the entry(ies) into the blank winapp2.ini file.

5) change the detect and filekey paths in the winapp2.ini to match your portable. Optionally add Portable (or what ever you choose) to the names (found in each entry between [ ] ). Save winapp2 and exit editor

6)for cleanliness sake delete winapp,winreg,winsys ini files.

7) run ccleaner

8)tweak as needed

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

thanks I do have some questions about the contents of those files, specifically what some of the switches do

for example what does do

0) ID=2299

1) SpecialDetect=DET_THUNDERBIRD

2) SpecialKey1=N_THUNDERBIRD_DOWNLOAD

I can't seem to find them documented anywhere. and the layout is a bit confusing. other than that I have been tweaking winapp2.ini as needed, it also seems there is no community maintained winsys2.ini ?

• Moderators

this has been mostly fixed in the portable apps platform, a cleanup is performed on next run, however I do have a portable leftovers

PortableApps platform and some applications that are wrapped into are leaky should they crash. Off topic but I think BoxedApp may gain in popularity and become more widespread for making true portability that can work identical to an installed app.

Firefox Portable leaves AppData profile stuff behind which is revealed should it crash and starting and closing it again doesn't necessarily remove those leftovers as made evident when CCleaner all of a sudden detects stuff in the AppData folder. Subsequently my batch file backup script that I use to pack Firefox Portable with my profile nukes those automagically.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

thanks I do have some questions about the contents of those files, specifically what some of the switches do

for example what does do

0) ID=2299

1) SpecialDetect=DET_THUNDERBIRD

2) SpecialKey1=N_THUNDERBIRD_DOWNLOAD

I can't seem to find them documented anywhere. and the layout is a bit confusing. other than that I have been tweaking winapp2.ini as needed, it also seems there is no community maintained winsys2.ini ?

ID can be ignored as it's just an internal system for the developers

the specials, try to use custom location for thunderbird too, it may work

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 months later...

To be honest i never been do that one and i am thinking if that is really possible.In Finland i use to handle a ~link removed or monitoring of working hours and i also use to add more employee ,but in application sometimes adding more is quite going to be difficult and surely slow cause the memory your using is getting low.