Google Search Settings

srwpchelp

• Moderators

I'm not experiencing that with any of my browsers although I'm using XP. (Probably not significant.)

You could possibly have a corrupt cookie, which can happen, so maybe clear out the google cookies, except for the "mail.google.com" if you have GMail, and then reset your search settings and re-keep the new cookies.

Are there any google cookies listed which you don't keep?

I removed all cookies using CCleaner and then added the Google ones back to the "keep" list. Made no difference.

I uninstalled & re-installed CCleaner. Made no difference.

I unticked the "cookies" box in the main menu. It should have kept the cookies. It didn't. Something somewhere else in CCleaner must be deleting the cookies.

I've got IE9 not IE8. Typo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

This is happening to me as well now since updating the winapp file this orning. Except i don't use Google. I use Ixquick. Same problem with the search settings being wiped out.

Updating the winapp file I take to mean winapp2,ini?

So is CCleaner not doing this with the winapp2.ini file disabled?

@ srwpchelp

Do you perchance also have the winapp2.ini file installed?

Updating the winapp file I take to mean winapp2,ini?

So is CCleaner not doing this with the winapp2.ini file disabled?

@ srwpchelp

Do you perchance also have the winapp2.ini file installed?

Yes, the winapp2.ini file is installed. As I had mentioned, the winapp2.ini was the file that I had updated. Updated meaning right click/save as and the usual overwrite.

It was after I removed the winapp2.ini file that the problem went away. Of course, now I don't have all of those extras but I'll not reinstall it until I know that the issue has been fixed. I didn't tick anything that wasn't already ticked prior to updating it, just to add.

This is a Windows 7 64 bit machine, btw.

• Moderators

The problem here is that winapp2.ini is not endorsed or supported by Piriform (it's a user generated and produced add on), and as such any problem it causes with CCleaner is not looked upon as a CCleaner issue.

Removing it, or finding out which is the troublesome entry from the update is your only course of action.

You may get some help towards that if you post your issue in the "winapp2.ini" thread, but not anywhere else on the forum I'm afraid.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32310

Hope that helps.

:)

The problem here is that winapp2.ini is not endorsed or supported by Piriform (it's a user generated and produced add on), and as such any problem it causes with CCleaner is not looked upon as a CCleaner issue.

Removing it, or finding out which is the troublesome entry from the update is your only course of action.

You may get some help towards that if you post your issue in the "winapp2.ini" thread, but not anywhere else on the forum I'm afraid.

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=32310

Hope that helps.

:)

Yep. I know. It definitely is the winapp2.ini file causing the issue though. I removed it ( the newest release - the one that was causing the issue) and put the previous release of the winapp2.ini file that I copied from my sons computer on this one that had the issue with the updated one and it didn't have the problem.

I'm just going to stay away from any newer updates to this thing, I think. Or at least until I take the time to go through the updated one myself to find what the problem is with it.

Thanks though. I can't really complain about it. I've been using this program for years along with winapp2.ini and I think maybe I've only had two instances where things got fudged up that concerned me.

I don't plan on installing Windows 8/IE 10 so I imagine any newer releases of winapp2.ini will most likely be in a manner conforming to that OS. Which may be the problem here, I think with this most recent release of winapp2.ini. Will see....

Seems like some of these winapp2.ini entries are starting to get a little too far ahead of the game and forgetting about Windows 7 compatibility in scope.

• Moderators

The way to use the winapp2.ini file, I believe, is to check through it manually and remove all the entries referring to software you don't actually have on your machine.

Used like that, it would probably work as it should for your computer. To install the file in it's entirety doesn't seem to be the way to go.

I actually use it, but with only about 20 items.

All others have been deleted, and I never update it unless I install new software, and then if necessary, I look for an entry for that new software and copy it to my version.

Edited by DennisD

• Moderators

The way to use the winapp2.ini file, I believe, is to check through it manually and remove all the entries referring to software you don't actually have on your machine.

Used like that, it would probably work as it should for your computer. To install the file in it's entirety doesn't seem to be the way to go.

I actually use it, but with only about 20 items.

All others have been deleted, and I never update it unless I install new software, and then if necessary, I look for an entry for that new software and copy it to my version.

there is actually a @Alan_B bat file for that

EDIT: latest version as of this post http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=34642&st=140#entry211682

also all entries in winapp2 start as false, also I believe user is receiving help in winap2 thread per request http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32310&st=2660#entry228204

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I have found the Location of search engines (in IE10 Win8 which I assume is the same location as win7 ie9 and most likely all other search engine embedded IE)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes

There are known know entries in Winapp2.ini (or CCleaner's built in cleaning rules) which touch this key, are you sure you are not removing it using the registry integrity section or your Includes?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com