Installation folder

Willy2

Defraggler behaves in one regard odd. Whereas Ccleaner, Recuva and Speccy install themselves in a "C:\Program files" subfolder, Defraggler v2.10 installs itself in a "C:\Program files(x86)" subfolder on my Win 7 laptop. Weird. I thought all 64 bits applications are supposed to install themselves in a "C:\Program files" subfolder ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Nope. The Piriform folks have determined in all their wisdom that for all 4 programs both the "normal" version and the 64 bits version are installed in the same folder.

I agree. The 64 bits versions should be installed in a "C:\Program files" subfolder and the 32 bits version in a "c:\program files" subfolder but that's NOT the case.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I never knew that Piriform defied this stupid convention on 64 bit systems of "C:\Program files (x86)\" for 32 bit code plus "C:\Program files\" for 64 bit code,

because I use the Portable versions which unzip to whatever path I designate.

It is an utterly stupid convention that Microsoft just did not think through and should be abandoned.

This would NOT be such an utterly stupid convention if Microsoft had provided corresponding folders of :-

"C:\ProgramData (x86)\" ; and

"C:\Users\Alan\AppData (x86)\" etc

in which case for the odd person that wishes to install non-portable versions of both 32 bit and 64 bit software,

he/she would have separate paths for both the code AND ALSO the corresponding application data.

As it stands my Installed 32 bit version of Palemoon has my user profiles located on paths such as

C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\

which is obviously where the 64 bit version should ALSO be if I wanted to install both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.