So many Firefox versions...

Super Fast

With the introduction of so many versions of Firefox, I am beginning to wonder which version is the best.

Some say the 3 series is much better on managing memory, & for low mem systems.

And version 7 installs to default location.

8 & 9 are beta, but 9 is claimed to have up to 30% faster javascript performance in some cases.

Which version do you use?

I am thinking of trying the 9, but I am not sure yet...

* I have not tried all the versions yet with PeaceKeeper browser checker, but so far, I tested the following browsers, so here are their scores:

- IE8 -> 523

- FF7b5 -> 3681

- FF9.0a1 -> 2595

I did note that FF9 has a new dial page like Opera, & it seems fairly quick at loading webpages.

Great to know about the mem use, Tr3. I will have to use it a while & see what happens.

*** Firefox 9 has a dial page like opera. Me no likey! How to disable? I went back to 7 beta for now... Hope they at least give you the option to disable it in future versions!

Just make a portable of the version and try it. I don't use anything but the released version and the problems I had with v3 & v4 have disappeared with v5 & 6. Later versions are also faster IMHO.....but they take up more resources so on older systems, you may have to use a v2 or 3. I put a PIII laptop together for my sister-in-law and could only use v3 since newer versions really sucked up memory.

If you want to make a portable, I can post instructions I have that I found somewhere...can't remember where.

25qd6wl.jpg

I"m currently using FF 6.0.2 with a few essential add-ons like NoScript & Adblock plus.

Been using FF for years:)

• Moderators

I have never really been able to 'take' to Firefox and believe me, I have tried. As you know I do tend to try other browsers and will usually use the one I try out for a few weeks none stop.

I notice SuperFast mentioned that the latest version has an Opera type dial page. I never use that (default Opera here) preferring to just have a favourites bar, I don't use Opera Unite either.

It must be difficult deciding which version to use of FF with so many versions of it.

Is it the appeal of so many extensions that FF users find so attractive?

(NOT going into the my browser is fast then yours thing here, I'm asking about the FF features that make users want to use it as their default).

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hazel - -

The massive library of addons, the interface (at least during the Fx2/3 years, now most browsers look the same), the speed (often augmented by addons, but not getting into the wonderful world of browser benchmarks)

I've been using Fx since I was 10, and I've been using the same profile the entire time. So it's hard for me to give up something like that and jump ship to another browser, though I do have many others installed.

(NOT going into the my browser is fast then yours thing here, I'm asking about the FF features that make users want to use it as their default).

Unless add-ons start to work across platforms or they make the FF Add-on I use for "THAT" Browser, I am stuck on Firefox. I don't use anything but the released version and if there is a jump in revisions, I make sure my add-ons work 1st before I switch to that new version.

25qd6wl.jpg

I have never really been able to 'take' to Firefox and believe me, I have tried. As you know I do tend to try other browsers and will usually use the one I try out for a few weeks none stop.

I notice SuperFast mentioned that the latest version has an Opera type dial page. I never use that (default Opera here) preferring to just have a favourites bar, I don't use Opera Unite either.

It must be difficult deciding which version to use of FF with so many versions of it.

Hmmmm.... You have a lot of questions, don't you? I will try to answer them.

Yes, there are a lot of Firefox versions. There are also a lot of Opera versions, as there are with all major browsers. Opera 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5, etc.

Now, Firefox has delved into many things, such as hardware accelerated browsing (for 3d/flash rich content) in order to speed things up tremendously.

I am uncertain how Opera fares in 3d accelerated browsing, as it has been a while since I tested it.

I just know that, you were asking why a user would choose Opera over Firefox, & here are my reasons.

- While Opera does have one of the fastest startup times, it is close followed by Google Chrome. I'm talking, like thousandths or even millionths of a second close. However, the current versions of Firefox are fast enough, that you won't really notice one over the other, as all the major browsers load in fractions of a second, anyway.

- Opera, last time I checked, has a bug wherein the browser tabs get needle thin as you open a lot of tabs. Eventually, they get so tiny, they only reliable way to click to close the current tab you are on without hoping you don't accidentally close the WRONG tab, is something like a keyboard shortcut in Firefox (CTRL + W closes a tab). Because the mouse will definitely not be reliable when the tabs are needle thin & the X to close it is bigger than the tab, & the tabs are all jumbled on top of each other. Of course, Opera is not the only browser to suffer from this bug, because Google Chrome also had it when I tested, & so I believe it is probably the same on the later versions as well.

- Opera could not open some web pages I tried it on last time, whereas the other major browsers (Google/Firefox/IE) had no trouble at all with it. This was a downer to me, as I cannot use a browser that cannot open a diversified range of pages.

- Internet Explorer 8 crashed on anywhere from 4 to 20 tabs open. Firefox has had up to 1,611 tabs open with no crash (although it did slow down as I started to run out of memory). I do not guess that Opera nor Chrome would be capable of this, nor even wish to try it with a browser who shrinks tabs into smaller & smaller bits until they are unclickable. Firefox solves this by implementing tab scroll & being sure tabs never shrink below a certain size.

- Firefox includes many goodies such as Tab recovery (if you accidentally close out a tab & wish to recover it), as well as crash recovery, & many other smaller things such as the ability to right click + T on a link to open it in a new tab. Newer firefox versions even include time savers such as highlighting a text link with your mouse & being able to right click/open in a new tab to open the link in a new tab instead of having to copy & paste it into a new tab that you created.

- Firefox has Ad Block plugins, which save a ton of time on bandwidth and surfing.

*** There are many more things that Firefox has. Overall, Firefox is very customizable, & i love how you can take items off the toolbar if you don't need them, and how you can rearrange or add items if you need them. Firefox bookmarks are very useful, & the layout is much more intuitive than other browsers. Firefox is one of the major browsers besides Internet Explorer, so most sites work with it, with the exception of a website such as one of my friends who has a work place that only allows Internet Explorer to be able to check his personal page. When he surfs from the house & logs into his account, it will NOT allow him to access certain areas of their website without Internet Explorer. This is easily solved via IE Tab plugin. Which, I doubt works with Opera or Chrome. There is at least, and ad blocker for Chrome, but not for IE or Opera last time I checked.

The situation may improve as Opera gets bigger, but the main reason there are so many versions of Firefox, are that 3 series is for older computers. Stable, fast, less mem use. Newer 4 series was bug fixes/speed improvements.

5/6/7 etc are bug improvements/features added/speed improvements/mem use improved.

Any browser will welcome faster loading + less memory use, especially if you do a lot of surfing.

To my knowledge, the situation with Opera still has not changed. It has a few features that are cool, but it just is not applicable for general use with what I do. I rather stick with the browser that best suits my purpose. That is to say, Firefox does not have Active X exploits like Internet Explorer does & is a lot safer for web surfing with it's built in anti-phishing/anti cross scripting/pop up blocking/etc than Internet Explorer. It is also far more stable than IE, & doesn't suffer from needle thin tabs like Chrome or Opera.

While Chrome and Opera can be stable with smaller tab sets, it is doubtful they will live up to the heavy surfing I tend to do in Firefox.

I have used Firefox for years with no problems.

I believe that Firefox provides the best tradeoff of speed/customizability/security/features/familiarity/ease of use of any browser out there, which is why I used firefox back then, & still do.

Edit: Although a latecomer to the hardware acceleration party, I do believe Opera eventually added hardware acceleration to their mix, but some people report problems with it. Guess they will fix it, eventually. For now, I use Firefox, since it already works.

• Moderators

I didn't have many questions, just wanted to know which FF features made people want to use it as their default.

I did not intend for it to be a how does Opera or IE compare with FF question. That can never be answered as everyone has their own idea on what makes a browser special enough for them.

'Which is best' posts/threads never work as folk always stick up for the one they like best.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I didn't have many questions, just wanted to know which FF features made people want to use it as their default.

If I had stated Firefox is more stable, you would have stated that Opera seems stable enough to you.

If I had stated that Firefox is better with tabs, you would have stated that Opera has no problems with tabs.

The point of the things I mentioned, is not merely a how does this differ, but an in depth explanation of which firefox features I find best (and therefore the reason(s) I use it). The other information is listed so that you can fully understand what sets Firefox apart, and so that you don't have niggling questions as to why Firefox is more stable, etc, etc...

Firefox features I love:

- Hardware acceleration - (Opera added this late in the game, but there are a few problems)

- Tabs - (Opera shrinks to needle thin tabs when you have a lot open, Firefox does not)

- Compatibility - Firefox is compatible with most websites (Opera has a few it will not open, or not render properly)

- Right-click + T for new tabs - Makes new tabs faster & easier to open.

- Stability - I have had 1,611 tabs open in Firefox before. Cannot say the same of the other browsers. Nor would I want to try in Opera with razor thin tabs.

- Right click a tab to undo closed tabs - Opera has a recycle bin (or did), which I find clunky & unintuitive

- Firefox has a great layout that is very customizable. Opera seems to lack in this area somewhat.

- Firefox has popup blocking, which I believe Opera has, but Firefox also has Ad Block plugins.

- Firefox has a feature where you can highlight a text link, & right click/open in a new tab, instead of copy/paste to a new blank tab.

- Firefox is easy to use. While Opera isn't bad, it suffers in certain areas when you want to do something & cannot. Firefox just seems easier.

- Firefox is open sourced, while I believe, Opera is still closed source. Bugs seem to get fixed faster.

There are many reasons, but these are just a few I listed.

I have used Firefox since I was 12 - 13 myself (that's 6 years.) I found it extremely difficult to move on to Chrome a few weeks back. Firefox had become extremely glitchy and when I compared it with Chrome, it just wouldn't perform as well. Ever since Chrome's Extensions started doing well, it was easier to move on. Using Adblock and Bit.ly url extensions only and I love the fact that you don't have to restart your browser after installing an add-on.

If Firefox gets its s**t back together, I probably will go back but Chrome's integration with the Google Account and syncing bookmarks to your Gmail, etc. really is attractive.

Simplicity is hard.

I have used Firefox since I was 12 - 13 myself (that's 6 years.) I found it extremely difficult to move on to Chrome a few weeks back. Firefox had become extremely glitchy and when I compared it with Chrome, it just wouldn't perform as well. Ever since Chrome's Extensions started doing well, it was easier to move on. Using Adblock and Bit.ly url extensions only and I love the fact that you don't have to restart your browser after installing an add-on.

If Firefox gets its s**t back together, I probably will go back but Chrome's integration with the Google Account and syncing bookmarks to your Gmail, etc. really is attractive.

Don't know what version your using. Older versions, say the 1 & 2 series back 6 years ago were very slow & did have glitches. Newer versions are way faster.

I always start/run & %appdata% & enter.

Then, copy & paste the entire Mozilla folder to whereever.

It contains all your bookmarks, passwords, everything.

Pie job to copy back to the same location & restore it all (being first assured the old Mozilla folder is removed to a safe location, especially if it contains other user's data, or just deleted if not needed, & replaced with the old folder)

Seems to work fine for me, but ur Windows version + amount of ram, amount used ram, harddisk fragmentation + free space etc, all play important factors.

• Moderators

For me yes, I'm just way too comfortable with Adblock Plus and it's add-on Element Hiding Helper to ever stop using Firefox and believe me I've tried getting rid of Firefox to only return to it. That and I have much less problems with websites using Firefox as opposed to other browsers.

I used to be a long time Opera user for almost 5 years starting back in the early 2000s when it was commercial software and I bought a license, but fast forward to more recent years and it too frequently would tell me "can't find website" when IE and Firefox would load said site perfectly fine. I'll never get used to Chrome/Chromium and their clones and I've tried them umpteen times and gotten rid of them in hours.

FF worked for me since v.2x onward and I only use 6 great add-ons...less than I started out with. I dabbled in Opera a few years back and they had great manipulation. But yeah, the whole "this site dinna work with Opera" thing kinda pushed me back to FF. I'm not a fanboy, I hate fanboy stuff, but FF works for me with how I surf.

• Moderators

Thanks guys for your thoughts on what FF has that makes you want it as your browser.

Very interesting. Seems as though add-ons is a big factor.

FF works for me with how I surf.

I think that about sums up Corona why different people use different browsers.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

FF worked for me since v.2x onward

The same for me, however 3.x versions was when it started working really good on my system. I could never use any of the 0.x and 1.x versions since they never worked correctly and always had severe issues on my system.

What about people who aren't different? :ph34r:

Clones?

Well hazel I don't like FF just for the "extensions" I use it and like it mainly for it's simplicity... for want of a better word:)

You can go crazy and customize FF with all sorts of Add-ons, or just keep it simple with function & security in mind:) Oh and I always launch any browser sandboxed with Sandboxie:)