smallest bug in the world

thegump

Hi guys,

I've noticed that bug for awhile and it never gets fixed!

It is a screen artifact that appears after you press the "Analyse" button.

The left bracket is wonky. Perhaps it is a Unicode thing or even an unknown form of a bracket or parentheses or chevron or ?

Please see the attached jpeg picture.

Once the analyse is done, the bracket naturally is gone ...

This is on a standard 14" LCD screen, 1440 x 900 pixels, 32-bit colour depth.

Obviously a bug of the smallish kind, P3.

Please release a emergency bug fix :)

post-57285-0-48356900-1316094217_thumb.jpg

The problem seems to be related to XP since users of Vista or Windows 7 are unaffected (tested with Windows7 PE CD).

From my personal point of view it looks like the bracket is curved as it should but there's an additional character overlaying this (obvious someone slipped on the keyboard).

As to why XP and not Vista / Windows 7 it's possible Defraggler contains platform optimised code i.e. XP code to run on XP and Vista code to run on Vista etc.

Unless Defraggler is tried and tested on a genuine XP machine or via Hiren's Mini XP then I really don't see this bug ever getting fixed.

As for service packs they address performance issues, security issues, back doors and exploits to the operating system this does not alter the way applications look or function.

Just out of curiosity what happens when Defraggler.exe runs with XP compatibility mode??

Richard S.

Unless Defraggler is tried and tested on a genuine XP machine or via Hiren's Mini XP then I really don't see this bug ever getting fixed.

Just out of curiosity what happens when Defraggler.exe runs with XP compatibility mode??

Richard S.

Are you really suggesting that we are not running genuine XP? Last time I checked, mine was very genuine!

Also, that would be critical to simply ignore XP users. I have XP + 7, as there are things I can do in XP that I never can in 7, & vice versa.

Half the users are XP users in the business area right now. To ignore 1/2 the people would be insane.

It did not used to exist in much older versions, so I know it is possible to fix.

As to what happens when run in compatibility mode?

Here is what I have to say about compatibility mode:

*** Compatibility mode is supposed to emulate an older OS settings in order for you to be able to run software that you may not have been able to run on your current OS.

That said, when you use XP compatibility mode, it cannot truly emulate Windows 98/98/ME since those used true DOS, & XP doesn't allow direct hardware access to the audio hardware. Some programs work, others don't fare so well.

Under Windows 7, the situation is similar, but Windows 7 seems to have a lot more programs that fail under XP Compatibility mode than XP did with it's compatibility mode setting. In other words, compatibility mode does NOT provide a perfect emulation, and was never intended to. True emulation would emulate direct hardware access, etc, etc...

XP Compatibility mode seems to work some better than the one included in 7, & Windows 7 will, from time to time, have a program that works perfectly fine, but after you exit the program, it will claim "This program did not install correctly... What would you like to do? Reinstall it, or..." etc.

XP Virtual machine may be different on 7, than the compatibility mode, but that being said, it is always better to run a program directly in the OS itself, if you are having problems. Some things may not be solved by virtual machining, and virtual machines do have a problem with handling the way certain programs work.

To clarify what I meant by "genuine XP" I mean not running software in XP compatible mode / emulated because there would be a possibility the issue won't arise.

I don't know much about Windows 7 however under Vista if you right click properties over an executable or shortcut there is a compatibility tab to make the application appear it's running from a different version of Windows from XP all the way to NT4 / 98SE.

Richard S.

• Moderators

I wonder if Defraggler uses anything from XP's gdiplus.dll file. I don't know if it does however that file was a part of a past Microsoft Update that got patched for security reasons, and I know some applications use it to "look better" like some old ancient version of Foxit Reader which had gdiplus.dll as a separate download but in my case it made it look worse.