IMDb video playback

DennisD

• Moderators

Do any of you guys know which entry/entries in the MVPS Hosts File are blocking videos from playing on the IMDb site.

Previously it was ad.doubleclick.net, but one of the Hosts File updates has added something else.

I've tried watching the status bar in both Opera and Firefox with the Hosts File disabled, but the names whiz past too fast to catch.

Is there any way to isolate the culprit?

Thanks.

Does the video flash app load but fail to start, or doesn't load at all??

Is there any way to isolate the culprit?

Run a web server locally (i.e. 24Link) and check the logs for sites that are blocked when you visit imbd.

Richard S.

• Moderators

Sadly it's either ad.doubleclick.com (3 hits per video page) or (more likley)b.scorecardresearch.com (1 hit per video page)

blocked.jpg

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

@ Dennis

For what its worth...

IE8 here, no outside hosts files. Powershadow running.

I couldn't get it to play either. Opens to a blank frame.

Tried to install the latest flash player, didn't work.

DID succeed in installing the google toolbar. Tons of files into the sandbox. :-(

I did get the trailers to play by starting Opera portable sandboxed and installing the latest flash player.

Hat tip to Hazel...4.gif

Had to restart Opera. No windows restart required.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Does the video flash app load but fail to start, or doesn't load at all??

Richard S.

The video window just remains completely dead Richard. Nothing.

As soon a as I disable the hosts file, it works as it should.

• Moderators

@ Dennis

For what its worth...

IE8 here, no outside hosts files. Powershadow running.

I couldn't get it to play either. Opens to a blank frame.

Tried to install the latest flash player, didn't work.

DID succeed in installing the google toolbar. Tons of files into the sandbox. :-(

I did get the trailers to play by starting Opera portable sandboxed and installing the latest flash player.

Hat tip to Hazel...4.gif

Had to restart Opera. No windows restart required.

I'm agog and aghast, and never thought I'd see the day. :lol:

Besides that, your input is interesting. Thanks.

• Moderators

I'll give that a try on Saturday big man. Thanks.

You may have to temporarily disable the HOSTS file to try it my way, I forgot that bit. Just remember when disabling HOSTS you either have to restart, or Log Off and Log back on.

Here are a list of blocked and unblocked hosts:

Blocked:

ad.doublelick.net

b.scorecardresearch.com

ia.media-imdb.com/images/M (but not the entire host)

s0.2mdn.net

www.google-analytics.com

Not Blocked:

aan.amazon.com

i.imdb.com

i.media-imdb.com

ia.media-imdb.com (except /images/M)

s.media-imdb.com

static.ak.fbcdn.net

www.imdb.com

Just compare your host file with what I don't have blocked and see if one of them is stopping the videos from playing.

Also if you change your host file manually you must restart the web browser for changes to take effect.

Richard S.

Just logged on here using Puppy Linux 520. Thats right, Dennis, there is a NEW puppy linux out. Fast as greased lightning. Used Opera browser, the trailers played. Gotta go, sorry to post & run.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

He's dangling a tempting download under a downloadaholic's nose methinks. :)

Thanks for those entries Richard, I recognize a couple I've already tried, but a couple I haven't. I'll try them on Saturday and let you know.

Since you're not blocking any hosts why wouldn't videos play in Puppy Linux?? :blink:

Richard S.

Have no idea...not blocking any hosts for windows either but they won't play on windows. Part of that post was to pester Dennis a bit. Part was to suggest that maybe the issue is not with the hosts file...I don't have'em blocked, still won't play. ?? :unsure:

• Moderators

I wonder if it has anything to do with blocking pop-ups? Could be something else to try and disable because I know some sites have to be whitelisted for pop-ups in order for some of their features to even function properly.

I wonder if it has anything to do with blocking pop-ups? Could be something else to try and disable because I know some sites have to be whitelisted for pop-ups in order for some of their features to even function properly.

Thats the answer for me.

With pop up blocker on - video will not play with it off videos play fine

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

Just logged on here using Puppy Linux 520. Thats right, Dennis, there is a NEW puppy linux out. Fast as greased lightning. Used Opera browser, the trailers played. Gotta go, sorry to post & run.

You had to mention a new Puppy build didn't you? Knowing that I would go and look :) It is fast and the vids do play (although I took this at a jumpy moment)

post-1555-0-42324600-1297950444_thumb.png

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You had to mention a new Puppy build didn't you? Knowing that I would go and look :) It is fast and the vids do play (although I took this at a jumpy moment)

:P Yep, thought you might, glad you did. Puppy is too cool, I am forever in your debt for putting me onto it. Was going to post a new thread, make sure you saw it, but had to sign off for a while.

@ Dennis:

I disabled the popup blocker, still no playback.

Changed a bunch of the settings in "Internet Options, Security", and in "Advanced", will not tire everyone with the details, but eventually had ie8 set to allow just about anything. Might as well have hung out a sign: "Install virus here". Stll no playback.

edit: Also installed the latest flash player. (10.2.152.26) Now some of them will play, most won't.

I sure would like to know what that problem is.

edit: And again, using Puppy / Opera, everything played except those needing a log in. No mischief intended this time, just offering a clue.

• Moderators

The problem is now fixed, and I'm happy and slightly embarrassed to say it was "ad.doubleclick.net" again causing the problem with IMDb videos.

I'll suffer the blushes as the reason I missed it may be useful to others.

Firstly, that hosts file entry has been unblocked for a long time, and why it was blocked again I have no idea. Maybe an update.

I did initially do a search for that entry with the "Hostsman Editor" just to check that it was still unblocked, and this was the result of entering "ad.doubleclick.net" into the search box:

Instead of immediately highlighting the exact text I entered in the box, it listed every variation of "**.doubleclick.net" except the little bugger itself, and there are a lot.

To be honest I gave up scrolling after a while and assumed the entry was no longer in the Hosts File. When it seemed that nothing else could possibly be causing the glitch I went back and eventually found and unblocked it again.

I also called it a few names.