defrag result higher and higher

Hi,

I have Window Seven (integraled.) 32bit (clean install) on a pc AMD Athklon dual core 2,60Ghz, 2,00 gb ram, 320 hard drive, (half free)

And by the way, the PC goes weel and smootly.

Window defrag analysing tool was showing ? 16 % defragmentation. I never had something so high.

So I installed Pirifom Defraggler (so good reviews and i am a "ccleaner" fan)

After the deep defrag, I get to a amazing rate of 46 % fragmentation.

So frankly I was better before.

I redid a quick defrag, then checked disck, then a free space defrag, and again a deep defrag... but the rate positively remain high, now at 49%. (I will be in Guiness book or record soon! ;) )

I know (from Vedan thread) that it is a problem with Window restore files, BUT I would like to keep these restore files, so be able to exclude them from the defrag analysis.

And hopefully get a positive defragmentation rate.

I would really like to know how to manage with that...

And maybe suggest that you give a correspondance table with window defrag rate and yours.

Thank you in advance for your time and help

Marie-Helene

Results scan on the attachement.

welcome.gifMarie-Helene

You can exclude SVI from your analysis, as I have, but it may not alter your frag reading.

2133f65a.jpg

You see, Defraggler counts all fragged files, including SVI, which is why Defraggler shows a higher frag count than Windows Defragger.

Why not delete some of your older Restore Points to lower the reading?

welcome.gifMarie-Helene

You can exclude SVI from your analysis, as I have, but it may not alter your frag reading.

2133f65a.jpg

You see, Defraggler counts all fragged files, including SVI, which is why Defraggler shows a higher frag count than Windows Defragger.

Why not delete some of your older Restore Points to lower the reading?

Hi Koozer,

Thank you for the info. I have just try that.

I like to be able to turn back my pc when something go wrong. And often i choose a far away point rather than the last. So it is why I'd like to keep the Restore files.

I did as suggested, (excluded SVI) and now, after analyse, I am at 51 % - This is unbelievable.

Hope my pc won'w explode...

Are you positive that with such a rate, I am better than this morning ???

I understand defraggler calculates system files and so, but I would really like to have a chart to understant how two defraggers can get so far away results... Even on an "average basis". This is quite intriguing.

What is the use of "measuring" if evey one have a different way of doing so ? No comparison possible.

Or maybe hope that someday it give both it's own mesaure and window's own.

So, another question is it possible that a PC is doing well with a rate of 49 or 51% defrag ?

So, another question is it possible that a PC is doing well with a rate of 49 or 51% defrag ?

Yes. My pc runs fast at 5% fragged or 50% fragged. I see no difference.

And in the future try using file-only defrag. It is rapid!

qfrnL.jpg

Yes. My pc runs fast at 5% fragged or 50% fragged. I see no difference.

And in the future try using file-only defrag. It is rapid!

qfrnL.jpg

Hi again Kroozer

After doing so, and doing another deep defrag this night, my PC is now at 1 %, and empty space have increase significantly.

The software seems to perform very well.

Should I expect, frome now on, to keep such low rate ?

I would just like to understand how come the deffrag rate is so "weird" and everchanging. I am sure that many newbies as I may be deceived at firt attempts, or even uninstall the program (I nearly did) because of that (apparent) discrepancy.

Also, If I may suggest, - I like thing to be easy and clear, - it would be nice if someone (or defraggler help) suggest an order to defrag all... Or automatize the whole thing.

(let say deep scan first, empty space second, then fragmented files and so on)

One asked for a "receipy" in another thread, and I quite agree.

At this point, one can just guess...

And having such a lovely piece of software, it a shame not to use it at maximum

Thank you again for your time and quick answer.

You sure are great!

Marie-Helene

After doing so, and doing another deep defrag this night, my PC is now at 1 %, and empty space have increase significantly.

Many members have reported recently that defragging three times will lower the frag count to or near 0.

Why? It is a mystery.

Should I expect, frome now on, to keep such low rate ?

No, your frag count will begin to rise simply by using your computer.

Actually due to the SVI rising during a defrag, the reported fragmentation can indeed rise on a defrag, it lowers significantly later when the restore points are removed (happens automatically as new ones are regularly made).

The OP (marie-helene) probably (IMO) need not worry about this fragmentation %, it's generally high due to very large files in relatively small number of big pieces, which are not even used heavily, rather than small heavily used files fragmented in very many small pieces which reduces disk read peformance. If you examine the fragmented filelist after an analyse, you can check.

Running the Quick Defrag, to tidy up new files should maintain good performance, with occasionally running an Advanced->Defrag Freespace to consoidate that and improve (hopefully) future block allocation. The Win 7 defragger is scheduled to run regular enough by default, for files that aren't dealt with by Quick Defrag.

The thread Less Strict Fragment Defintion, Display & Reporting - End users are confused by high fragmentation % and many red blocks discusses the issue you've observed, and tries to explain why the high % reported is unimportant.