NTFS mounted partition

Mirgolth

Hi,

On my main disk I have 2 NTFS partitions. The first is mounted ? C: ant the second is mounted as the NTFS folder C:\Data. It doesn't have any own drive letter. The partitiion don't show in Defraggler until I add it's own drive letter.

My suggestion is to detect partition mounted as NTFS folder.

As far as I'm aware your cannot have multiple partitions assigned to 1 drive letter you can have NTFS junction points but then that would mean you have more than 1 drive letter anyway.

Richard S.

It looks like you have an NTFS junction point for your driveless partition to appear in C:\data.

Since C:\data doesn't actually exist on C drive Defraggler will not be able to access your folder.

The only way to defrag this partition would be to assign it a drive letter and then run Defraggler.

Richard S.

• 3 months later...

I'm also wondering why Defraggler can't do this. Windows can work with mounted volumes for more than ten years. And I won't insult the developers by thinking that they don't know how to get list of all volumes in system. ;) So what are they waiting for? Defraggler is perfect, except for this only one missing feature. Please add it. :)

I can't imagine where could be the problem. Deframentation API, if I found it correctly, works with volume paths. So instead of starting with GetLogicalDrives() API function (I did a little spying on Defraggler), all what's needed is to start directly with FindFirstVolume() and voila... :)

• 4 months later...

So new Defraggler got support for displaying S.M.A.R.T. info which has nothing to do directly with defragmenting. But at least it's related somehow, you know, defragmenting, files, disk drives, S.M.A.R.T., it's kind of there. Still it feels a little strange to add such features before the main functionality is complete. Because lets face it, Defraggler still can't defragment (defragment everything that is ;).

Is it maybe because of some religious reasons? Perhaps authors have firm belief that every partition should have its own letter and letter-less partitions are heresy? Will we get ... I don't know ... maybe file backup functionality, which would also be remotely related to defragmenting, before support for letter-less partitions? ;)