Index.dat latest version

fragghead

There used to be a separate entry in the results window that stated Index.dat file was deleted. Previously, when Index.dat was deleted and computer rebooted, task manager commit charge was higher indicating something was changed. I don't get this anymore with latest CCleaner version.

• Moderators

I believe that this is because the DAT files are no longer removed but, instead, vaccumed as other products do

Change log:

• Removed need to reboot for Index.dat cleaning.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
I believe that this is because the DAT files are no longer removed but, instead, vaccumed as other products do

Hmm, if so it is very subtle.

I reinstalled 3.0 and analysed Index.dat files, and it listed one, Doc and Set/Me/Local Set/Temp Int Files/Content.IE5/Index.dat. Using Recuva with show undeleted files, I found and copied this to a place of safety. I then reinstalled CC 3.1 and the Index.dat analysis returned nothing. I then 'cleaned' the Index.dat files, even though it said there was nothing to clean, and recopied the index.dat file. It was unchanged.

I know that this will be vacuumed up when I run clean temp int files, but at the moment I can not see the way to clean the index.dat files independently.

Oh yes, I analysed History and in both 3.0 and 3.1 the list of index.dat files was the same.

Does CCleaner clean the following index.dat files?

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Feeds Cache\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\Low\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\History\History.IE5\MSHist012010112920101130\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\IECompatCache\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\IETldCache\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\IETldCache\index.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\IETldCache\index.dat

After using 3.01 and rebooting this is what I get for index.dat. Cookies and Low\History.IE5 looks normal. But TIF\Content.IE5 at 1,015,808 doesn't seem right. Can someone from Piriform chime in here?

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\Cookies

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            32,768 index.dat
          	1 File(s)     	32,768 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\History.IE5

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            65,536 index.dat
          	1 File(s)     	65,536 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\History.IE5\MSHist012010112920101130

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            32,768 index.dat
          	1 File(s)     	32,768 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\Low\History.IE5

11/26/2010  09:49 PM            16,384 index.dat
          	1 File(s)     	16,384 bytes