Remove WFS from Cleaner

Aethec

• Moderators

+

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Perhaps the developers intended these options to remain so that users could set wfs up and run it regularly in the Cleaner Analyse/Run panel. It's just too glaring to be left as an oversight. But then what would be the point of a separate section in Tools?

My personal opinion is that it should only be an option in Tools, and there is no need for the option in either Cleaner or Options/Settings.

• Moderators

No offence taken at all chaps, I was merely trying to surmise what some users would do, and I'm sure do do. I have never run WFS on my hd, and probably never will.

One thing that I have missed though, and seems to have slipped through the announcements, is that the new wipe tool will wipe all data as well as free space. So that may be the reason why the two ways of accessing wfs remain. This is such a killer option to let loose that the warning message (as here http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=30331&view=findpost&p=181242) should be in red lettering a foot high, and should then say 'Are you really, really sure?' I can see the day when a user will be posting here (from another pc) asking how to get his data back.

The whole wfs business is confusing, with some users never touching it and some grimly determined to beat their disks to death. Perhaps the whole shebang should be removed to a new application called Swiper (or something), expressly for wiping bits or all of a disk, and let CC get back to its roots.

• Moderators

Cheers, Aethec, it was the way I phrased it.

I'm wondering if this is a step too far, or at least a step into the unknown. We have no idea what data is removed, is it intended to purge the entire disk, or leave just the O/S behind, or to remove user data and leave applications, or what? A Windows application hasn't a cat in a dog's home chance of achieving any of those. There nothing in the documentation.

CC is a safe cleaner (enthusiastic registry cleaning apart) with a enviable reputation which has introduced a disk-killer option.

No offence taken at all chaps, I was merely trying to surmise what some users would do, and I'm sure do do. I have never run WFS on my hd, and probably never will.

One thing that I have missed though, and seems to have slipped through the announcements, is that the new wipe tool will wipe all data as well as free space. So that may be the reason why the two ways of accessing wfs remain. This is such a killer option to let loose that the warning message (as here http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=30331&view=findpost&p=181242) should be in red lettering a foot high, and should then say 'Are you really, really sure?' I can see the day when a user will be posting here (from another pc) asking how to get his data back.

The whole wfs business is confusing, with some users never touching it and some grimly determined to beat their disks to death. Perhaps the whole shebang should be removed to a new application called Swiper (or something), expressly for wiping bits or all of a disk, and let CC get back to its roots.

I will agree with you...I work on several computers that are older people & it is very scary of the wipe all data. I am sure some people will not understand that the system will be wiped. Not to good of an Idea for people who are not to computer savy. Just my opinion..

I will agree with you...I work on several computers that are older people & it is very scary of the wipe all data. I am sure some people will not understand that the system will be wiped. Not to good of an Idea for people who are not to computer savy. Just my opinion..

There's a huge, all-caps warning that asks you to type a word to continue. I don't think someone will actually wipe its drive without understanding what the Drive Wiper does...

Piriform French translator

No, there are many people who are technologically challenged CCleaner trusting users who would run every new tool it has to offer without knowing its implications.

Remember the time when WFS was introduced for the first time and people started asking how to delete that extra huge file that has been created because of CCleaner and how they aren't being able to remove it?

Simplicity is hard.

Crap Cleaner + Disk Killer. Woohoo.

Yes, but ANYTHING you do on the computer "kills" it. Meaning, all programs you install/remove/defrag/rename/change take up write cycles + send your drive a few minutes further to it's MTBF grave!

Harddisk drives have rated MTBF, or Mean Time Before Failure listings.

You can verify to a reasonable degree with Hard Drive Health programs, what percentage gone your drive is.

This is a necessary "kill" however, as just turning over a disk drive with previously personal data on it would be like, crazy.

I tried CCleaner drive wiper with 7 passes & then 3 & then 7 again on a drive.

It seemed that my data recovery program was unable to find anything left to recover after that, so I reckon it does pretty good.

To tell the truth, I might could have gotten away with 7 passes, but I was testing other things too.

I'd rather let CCleaner destroy all the private data, than to turn a drive over to someone with personal info on it & have them have a few extra hours runtime left on the drive in the MTBF log.

Thanks!