Windows2000 support ends on July 13, 2010 !

abu aufa

I've long been dreading that date since it will mean the end of my old, trusty laptop! It's not capable of running XP, so July 13 will be it's last day! My newer laptop is running XP, and even that only has 4 more years left on it it.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

Just because Microsoft is ending the life support for it doesn't make it a useless laptop! It can still be used for all sorts of things although it would be much safer to use it offline so as to not have unpatched vulnerabilities cause issues.

Just because Microsoft is ending the life support for it doesn't make it a useless laptop! It can still be used for all sorts of things although it would be much safer to use it offline so as to not have unpatched vulnerabilities cause issues.

You're right it can, but all I really use computers for involves the internet, so I wouldn't feel comfortable using an unsupported OS while online.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

... I wouldn't feel comfortable using an unsupported OS while online.

I think it really depends on whether any unpatched vulnerabilities exist. I think you only have to worry if new exploits come along that affect that OS. And 2000 is certainly unlikely to be the specific target of any new malware. So you may be okay ... it's just a question of keeping an eye on the situation and trying to mitigate risk where possible.

I agree with Andavari on this one. Just because Windows 2000 is no longer supported on July, does not mean it will be useless. When it comes to basic things like Internet browsing, simple word processing and so many countless things you can do with a computer on older programs, it will still be useful. Older operating systems like Windows 2000 in fact, have less system requirements and far more compatible with older hardware that can't handle Microsoft's new gem, Windows 7.

And, I have actually seen quite some people on Yahoo! Answers talking asking about Windows 98 which is even older pointing out that older operating systems still play some significance.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Microsoft need to sell more copies of Vista / Windows 7 so dropping support for 2k/XP would probably create an incentive for the no so computer minded to spend more cash.

Richard S.

Microsoft need to sell more copies of Vista / Windows 7 so dropping support for 2k/XP would probably create an incentive for the no so computer minded to spend more cash.

I don't think selling W7 is going to be a problem. And I think (hope!) XP SP3 is going to stay in support for quite some while, given the dire take-up of Vista.

• Moderators
And, I have actually seen quite some people on Yahoo! Answers talking asking about Windows 98 which is even older pointing out that older operating systems still play some significance.

I'm still waiting to change my room situation in my house so I can dust off my old Win98 computer do a fresh install with nothing but Windows and an older compatible build of Foobar2000 which I intend to use only as an offline big music player!

Microsoft, I think has extended the support for Windows XP cause the support for it was about to end. Its still a good OS and its the most commonly used Microsoft OS that I have seen today and far more dominant than Vista but as hardware gets more advanced, Windows 7 might take over Windows XP's spotlight.

The reason I have seen from Microsoft why they would end support on older operating systems is that they said this statement on their website, ".....but technology doesn't stand still and neither can we".

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.