problem with Outlook 3 and 'html' Link not opening?

kelly2

Hi, not sure when this started? OS is xpsp2. When I get an email with a 'html' Link in it I cannot get it to open. I have no restore points on the laptop.

It is only this type of Link that won't open?

I use Kaspersky and Prevxx and have for many years and no issues until this glitch?

I hope that some experienced member maybe able to help.

Thank you.

Yes I will give suggestions a 'go' and post back as I know that this irritation that I get with this problem would be disturbing to others as well. I always try to post back a solution if one is found as I believe that forums are a great way of sharing information to non techies like myself who really appreciate the experienced input !

My reply might be a tad slow as I am working on a project here right now and not too much leisure time to try to fix this issue.

Thank you.

Well I am back and followed the automatic fix it method as I found the following when I tried to fix it myself manually via "Run" and use the command...the following was found:

1.regsvr32 urimon.dll "LoadLibrary (urimon.dll)failed. The specified module could not be found.

2.regsvr32 mshtml.dll "was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered.

3. regsvr32 shdocvw.dll "DllRegisterServer in shdocvw.dll succeeded

4. regsvr32 msjava.dll "LoadLibrary (msjava.dll)failed. The specified module could not be found.

So I knew that I had to do the MS Fix It 50191.....with the wizard and did a test after it completed and found that still no Links will open.

But having more time at the moment I looked more carefully at my mail that is being unco-operative and I have found a note at the top indicating"this message has been converted to plain text'?

I am definitely not sure what this is all about?

Anyone have any ideas and BTW I genuinely appreciate the interest and support.

Cheers.

Am very puzzled?

BTW, I also checked my Browser as was suggested in the second last post in this thread and found my "Set Program and Defaults" is 'custom' and when I tried to 'tick' off 'Internet Explorer' instead of 'use my web browser'....I went back and the 'tick' mark was back in 'use my web browser'.

Just thought that I would mention that as well.

Seems to me that this changing of my mail message to 'plain text'.....maybe the culprit???

Thank you again for your patience and interest as I sit here and scratch my non tech brain at 1 am. Will be up early and hope that there maybe suggestions. ciao for now!

I forgot to mention that my A/V is Kaspersky and I use Prevxx and have used them together for several years and had no bugs etc.

I am wondering if an update to xpsp2 could cause this change to plain text as now some of these emails are ending up in my 'junk mail'?

Computers are great but it is the operator ... me that creates the problem :blink::lol: ...unfortunately !

Hi there and thx for the Links. I spent time reading and did the following:

Outlook 2003>tools>options>preferences>e-mail options>message handling>read all standard mail in Plain text and checked it off as you indicated it was shut off by Default.

I went and opened several of the mails that would not co-operate...a couple gmails, regular office flyer ones, and then a final mail that I was not able to read and it had been converted to Plain text and the same thing occurred, it would not open? But just that one...I notice that it prefaces in the mail that there are 'line breaks'? I am not knowledgable of that term and wondered if that has something to do with why it will not open.

I went into the second Link that was kindly posted and did my reading and followed it through >tools>Options>Other>Advanced Options>Add-In Manager and the only items contained therein were a 'check' beside 1. Kaspersky mail checker and 2. Exchange Extensions property pages?

Now I am really out of the jargon of what this is all about ! LOL.

So I did not change anything. I did know that I was in water above my neck and best to leave things be until I hear from experienced users.

In the other Links that were included within the Link, I did all the reading and re-reading and came across one possible solution that said:

"A change for No Html. in Outlook 2003 go to Tools>Options>preferences> Unselect or unselect or remove all line breaks and also uncheck or check read standard mail Text."

I was wondering if this might fix the one remaining stubborn mail that I describe above?

I did nothing here as I want to insure that none of what I have done or if I do what I just described re "line breaks"....whether it could affect my Security with Kaspersky?

I again thank you for your interest and post this in the hopes that it may help other users.

I again look forward to replies.

Cheers.

BTW...Yikes, I opened up my Junk mail file and there were a few mails in there that I normally get from specific sites and they were all converted to Plain text and none could be opened? Why would the first ones open and now these ones are Junk and are converted to plain text....is there a Filter problem that I maybe unaware of or something that has just kicked in here. My illiteracy in tech knowlege for my computer is frustrating.

Thank you

"line breaks" won't affect your AV, they are basically extra 'enter key' presses that outlook removes to make it a little more readable.

As long as you take note of which options you change, if they done have the desired effect you can always go back and change it again.

::::

Some useful ideas here to try: http://www.msoutlook.info/?s=plain+text

This one mentions "plain text" may be set via the ISP,

unlikely as it is, do you have webmail access to your email address?

Usually just go to your ISP's home page and find a webmail link, with outlook closed wait for a HTML email to arrive see if those email show images and hyperlinks.

[you may want to try this last as it involves waiting or sending yourself one (not from your outlook as it may set it to plain text when you send)]

Also it seems addons (especially AV addons) can cause unusual outlook issues, so open Kaspersky and try disabling all email scanning,

If you have Kaspersky antispam disable that as well, close and reopen outlook (see if that has affected it). if that fixes it you may can contact Kaspersky supoport to get it working properly.

fireryone

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for the delay in reply...been caught up in a project.

I discovered the culprit causing the problem and thought that I should post in the event that this 'bizarre' transforming of 'html' in emails received to 'plain text' occurs to any other members and the solution is elusive.

It just might be like my situation....and that was that my ISP server was fiddling with their settings and all my mail was converted and ended up as Junk Mail.

Thank you everyone for your time and interest.

Cheers