Registry Cleaning vs Registry Repair

eniwetok

I've always considered them to be different. Cleaning to me is removing orphan entries\paths to missing files etc. While repairing is updating the key with the correct information.

A while back I used a program that would scan the registry for missing DLL, ActiveX files and program paths. If a file was missing it would search the drive and if found, would give you the option to update the registry key with the found path.

Speaking for myself, I think repairing is different from cleaning.

A while back I used a program that would scan the registry for missing DLL, ActiveX files and program paths. If a file was missing it would search the drive and if found, would give you the option to update the registry key with the found path.

That's what I suspected, though just what sorts of "repairs" are possible, I don't yet know. And CCleaner is only a registry cleaner, I take it? Yup.. from a sticky at the top of this forum:

CCleaner even has a built-in Registry Cleaner. It's not the best (not CCleaner's main function), but it will find invaild registry entries that most Registry Cleaners will not. Unlike the Disk Cleaners with a Registry Cleaner, CCleaner does really fast scanning for Registry Issues. The reason is CCleaner doesn't want to effect Windows performance or effect any applications. It's better to be safe than sorry!

Do you remember the name of that registry repair program you used? My PC is getting pretty unstable and I've not yet been able to track down the cause. Looking at the registry is next.

I want to say it was TuneUp Utilities. But it was a few years ago so I am not positive on that.

I have TuneUp Utilities 2009...

It's a bit confusing. It says in one place it fixes registry errors, then elsewhere it describes itself as a cleaner.

I'll have to track down the manual.

• Moderators
My PC is getting pretty unstable and I've not yet been able to track down the cause. Looking at the registry is next.

It's typically faster to just format and reinstall, and you'll know for sure to have solved any severe registry issues, although I know it's a pain to start from scratch. So many paid for registry repair programs can makes big claims, and after they have your money your system may still be unstable and need to be formatted.

Andavari brings out some good points! Something I started doing a couple years ago is to use True Image to create a full drive image of my system will all of my drivers, programs and personal settings. Every 3 months I backup personal files and restore the drive image. Dosent matter how thrashed my sys is. In 20 minutes my system is fully restored to the time of the image. I just have to restore the personal files I backed up.

Just in case you would like to learn more about it, there is a free application to create drive images here: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

It's typically faster to just format and reinstall, and you'll know for sure to have solved any severe registry issues, although I know it's a pain to start from scratch. So many paid for registry repair programs can makes big claims, and after they have your money your system may still be unstable and need to be formatted.

I'm loathe to start from scratch. Been there done that when my last drive failed. Never again. I image my C drive every few weeks and backup my user files every day.

My big question is whether there's even a problem with my hard drive. SMART shows no problems, yet the PC crashes for no apparent reason then often stalls at the BIOS screen during a restart. I ran some repairs on the drive, chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr and it crashed the next two bootups. Then it was fine. One error message was to uninstall all defraggers. I uninstalled PerfectDisk. So given that the problem could be as simple as a driver conflict or corrupted registry, and it can take a week after an OS reinstall to get back to where I want my system to be...

That sounds more hardware related than anything to me, but who really knows.

You could rule out faulty ram by using Memtest86+ and Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic, both are free tools.

I ran Memtest86 last week. The RAM came up clean.

I, too, am beginning to think it's a hardware problem unrelated to the drive or RAM. Today after a crash I tried to run chkdsk /f from a Vista installation disk using recovery console... and the PC crashed with a blue screen. And yet it rebooted and has been running fine for the last 15 hours.

• Moderators

I, too, am beginning to think it's a hardware problem unrelated to the drive or RAM. Today after a crash I tried to run chkdsk /f from a Vista installation disk using recovery console... and the PC crashed with a blue screen. And yet it rebooted and has been running fine for the last 15 hours.

Could be overheating issues. Something very non-technical to try:

1. Take the side cover off the PC.

2. Get a house fan like a floor fan/table top fan and point at the opening where the cover is removed.

If the PC doesn't crash anymore you'll know it's an overheating problem.

Edit:

Could be a faulty or dying hard disk too, I remember going through that years ago in the Win98 days and that alone can cause severe corruption of files.

Something else to try:

Open the PC case, and unplug all components, then re-fit them making sure they're all installed correctly. That sometimes fixes issues with a hardware component that may not be fully seated.

Could be overheating issues. Something very non-technical to try:

1. Take the side cover off the PC.

2. Get a house fan like a floor fan/table top fan and point at the opening where the cover is removed.

If the PC doesn't crash anymore you'll know it's an overheating problem.

It's something I've been meaning to do. I know the drive isn't overheating because I have a SMART monitor on it.

Could be a faulty or dying hard disk too, I remember going through that years ago in the Win98 days and that alone can cause severe corruption of files.

That's been my first guess all along. But the SMART readout shows no real problem... and running a PC Doctor hardware test also shows no problems. But when it crashes then stalls at the BIOS (bootup) screen I have to wonder about hardware.

Something else to try:

Open the PC case, and unplug all components, then re-fit them making sure they're all installed correctly. That sometimes fixes issues with a hardware component that may not be fully seated.

Sounds like good advice. I've been worried more about the status of my system backup. Maxtor has a real dog with its Maxtor 4 Plus external drive. Its Safety Drill recovery software is pure crap. It doesn't work with many systems meaning there's no way to recover the system. Seagate is quietly moving to Drive Wizard... a version of Acronis True Image. But it can't work with the Safety Drill image. This idiocy is a real black eye for a trusted name like Seagate.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to follow up on this... not that it's related to Recuva. A few days later I got some Blue Screens and for the first time they mentioned memory management. So on a hunch I pulled the RAM sticks out and started testing them one at a time. When I tested the first 1 gig RAM stick I could not even boot up. I pulled it and tested the rest of the RAM. It's been now nearly 3 months and the PC may be running slow since I haven't gotten around to replacing the missing RAM, but I've only had perhaps 3 system crashes compared to perhaps 5 a week.

Memtest86 and PC Doctor obviously missed something.

• Moderators
Memtest86 and PC Doctor obviously missed something.

Possibly not and the reason why:

From the original MemTest86 docs from years ago the original developer actually suggested to test all RAM sticks individually one at a time to properly detect faulty RAM. Luckily you figured it out all on your own, and don't have to put up with those BSOD's anymore.

I'm loathe to start from scratch. Been there done that when my last drive failed. Never again. I image my C drive every few weeks and backup my user files every day.

My big question is whether there's even a problem with my hard drive. SMART shows no problems, yet the PC crashes for no apparent reason then often stalls at the BIOS screen during a restart. I ran some repairs on the drive, chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr and it crashed the next two bootups. Then it was fine. One error message was to uninstall all defraggers. I uninstalled PerfectDisk. So given that the problem could be as simple as a driver conflict or corrupted registry, and it can take a week after an OS reinstall to get back to where I want my system to be...

guess is a faulty ide cable,,just happened to me..

bsod=driver,hardware related.