Host file Updated

abu aufa

Yep, the Abu updates thread! :lol: Once again, thanks for the updates Abu! ;)

EDIT: Your link to the latest hosts file leads to a different hosts file site than the hosts file I use which is from MVPS.

Here's the link to the latest hosts file from MVPS: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm Last updated on June 21.

Yes, your computer only has one hosts file, but you can use entries from both sources. You're using HostsMan right? Click the update button, check the boxes for MVPS and hpHosts, make sure the "overwrite" button is check, and hit update. That will merge both hosts files together and delete the duplicate entries. If you use the "merge" option, both hosts files will be merged, but doesn't delete duplicates (leaving a LOT of them). With both files merged and duplicates deleted, there are currently 78,xxx domains blocked! B)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

You can also use a batch file to merge all hosts files too, that's what I do and keep my actual HOSTS files that I install on a completely separate drive so in the event of a hijack I don't have to edit one line of the Windows installed version.

• 4 weeks later...

While I wish it was the 27th ( my birthday :) ), I'm pretty sure that's next monday.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

hey guys one question:

never worked before with host files:...does it blocked ads,banners,pop outs from sites or block the whole site?

..if it block those pesky ads,,it works like ad-blockers?

• Moderators
hey guys one question:

never worked before with host files:...does it blocked ads,banners,pop outs from sites or block the whole site?

..if it block those pesky ads,,it works like ad-blockers?

Have a read of the MVPS site linked to above, it has a lot of good info, and the answer to your question is yes:

You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the connection(s) that supplies these little gems.

thanks for the informatiom.

--also i see HOSTMAN has too many betas lately released and last beta was release 10-28-08

and the stable version was release 07-23-08

sine this program can merge the other hosts files "i think" is better.but like i said before they only release betas lately.

I just started using HOSTS ( using Hostsman for MVPS and hphosts ) and for some reason, sites I regularily use ( like pastebin ) are blocked. Anyone know why? I know how to remove them, I'm just wondering what would possibly cause someone to block a site that has very little impact =\

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

tcoffeep i don't use host files yet since i don't know which one to use.

now..i can go to that page no problem.

Oh, I know it's the HOSTS. It only began happening afterwards.

• Moderators
I just started using HOSTS ( using Hostsman for MVPS and hphosts ) and for some reason, sites I regularily use ( like pastebin ) are blocked. Anyone know why? I know how to remove them, I'm just wondering what would possibly cause someone to block a site that has very little impact =\

I found that when I started merging HP Hosts with my usual MVPS. Just about all combination of links to a popular Online Hosting site were blocked.

I'm still undecided whether do unblock as I've done, or just stick with MVPS. It was a case of merging HP Hosts because it was there. Never had a problem really that needed them both.

(tcoffeep ] if you refer to pastebin.ca is a "hell yeah"..i can't connect either..to the others pastebins=ok

just run today this hostmvp and they're great blocking add,banners,parasites. using low resources...

hope this work for firefox and opera too.