Outpost Firewall Free 6.5

Andavari

• Moderators

I just noticed Outpost Firewall Free 6.5 listed on FileHippo.com here, which is a major leap in the freeware version number from the previous 1.0 from several years past.

Has anyone tried it yet, and what are the impressions of it?

I just noticed Outpost Firewall Free 6.5 listed on FileHippo.com here, which is a major leap in the freeware version number from the previous 1.0 from several years past.

Has anyone tried it yet, and what are the impressions of it?

Haven't tried this new free version, Andavari, but I do use the most up-to-date version of Outpost Firewall Pro. Outpost is great -- I've used it for years -- have never had a problem with either the software -- or with an intrusion.

I've installed the new freeware version. To sum everything up I'm very impressed with it.

Thank you for the notice. Is it light on system resources?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Is it light on system resources?

The resident file op_mon.exe is using 8,972K, the peak usage when the computer first started was 14,272K. The whole thing from download, etc., is lighter than ZoneAlarm Free and I'm not having any issues either with my rather finicky computer.

OK.

Comodo firewall 2.4.19 is running here at 9,792k with a peak of 9,384k.

Will try Outpost, probably lighter in the long run.

Thanks again.

edit:

for what its worth.

Outpost 6.5 running here on a VM with 1300 mb available ram is using 3,568k, peak at startup was 23,788k. No glitches.

Passed the GRC Shields UP test. http://www.grc.com/default.htm,

and the firewall test at http://www.auditmypc.com/.

So, looks like a good'un. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I think you'll like it too DennisD, it really is simple to use and it's rather lite on the system and is a definite security upgrade for those of us who were using Windows Firewall without any outbound filtering.

Can someone post some screen shots of this new version? I'd like to see some of the main display and the system tray icon. Thanks!

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Looks pretty good. I want to try it but I already use Windows firewall + hardware firewall.

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

Thanks. I did a Google search, but didn't come across that page. Now I just have to decide if I should finally switch from Sygate. I've used Sygate for ~5 years, and it's so simply and extremely light on RAM and system resources, so I'm still undecided.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

Thanks. I did a Google search, but didn't come across that page. Now I just have to decide if I should finally switch from Sygate. I've used Sygate for ~5 years, and it's so simply and extremely light on RAM and system resources, so I'm still undecided.

Check out the ratings -- should be a pretty easy decision :D. Plus, I don't think it's been updated in 4 or 5 years.

Check out the ratings -- should be a pretty easy decision :D. Plus, I don't think it's been updated in 4 or 5 years.

Thanks for the input. Sygate isn't mentioned in that review. Also, when I turn off my router's firewall (add my PC to the DMZ) and leave Sygate running, I still get a perfect stealth rating on GRC's test. With Sygate still having perfect inbound protection, and still catching all software that wants to access the net, I don't think I'd have anything to gain by switching to Outpost.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

One tip I've taught myself using search engines when looking for screenshots that I myself sometimes want before trying a program is to not include any version number. More often than not multiple program screenshots are on Softpedia.com.

This is what I used when I searched for the screenshots, and Softpedia.com was the first result.

Probably not, then if you went back to Sygate you'd have to reconfigure it from scratch.

That's a good point. I just wish I didn't enjoy trying new things out so much!

Thanks for the help guys. B)

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png