USB Safely Remove

YoKenny

USB Safely Remove is a neat and handy replacement for the standard 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool. It will make life easier and save time for those who have several hotplug (USB, SATA, Firewire) devices and those who use them extensively.

What makes USB Safely Remove better than the Windows 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool?

• The ability to hide any device from the 'stop' menu.

• Uses real device names and allows renaming.

• Keyboard shortcuts for easy device stopping.

• Unique menu for one-click stop.

• Programs autorun on device plugging/unplugging.

• It tells you why a device cannot be stopped immediately.

http://safelyremove.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I just found out that the beta version costs $14 US for an unlimited Personal Use license:

http://safelyremove.com/order.htm?ver=4.0.6.720

I think I will purchase it after I have used it for a while.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Why do you need to use USB Safely Remove Kenny?

When I use WinXP at work I used to use the Windows 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool because the IT techs said I could loose some files or they get corrupted if I didn't close it safely. Now I used to use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool but it was a pain in the bum because it took a while to load the devices then you select which device you want to close, then close it. This is on an old slow computer so I don't bother now just unplug it and I've never lost or corrupted any files.

On Win98SE you just unplug it without any hassle. The last drivers I installed for my 2Gb Kingston used to install a Safe Removal tool which didn't work correctly. You couldn't double click or right click on the icon in the systray but as soon as you unplgged the flash drive you would get a message you have removed the drive unsafely, so that had to be deleted from startup.

I don't see why you have to anyway, its like using a floppy disk which is a storage device. You can now safely remove your floppy disk. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Even though some USB devices are described as 'hot swappable', imo its better to use the ?Safely Remove Hardware? tool, especially in the case of external hard drives. Frying hardware issues aside, you may have open files even though there is no evidence of disk activity. Windows may have cached data and be waiting for idle time to update the disk file. Using the Safely Remove Hardware tool will force any pending write operations.

• Moderators
Even though some USB devices are described as 'hot swappable', imo its better to use the ‘Safely Remove Hardware’ tool, especially in the case of external hard drives. Frying hardware issues aside, you may have open files even though there is no evidence of disk activity. Windows may have cached data and be waiting for idle time to update the disk file. Using the Safely Remove Hardware tool will force any pending write operations.

Agree.

I use my 'safely remove hardware' taskbar option from windows every time. Once you lose files, as I did, by removing a usb device too early, you don't make that mistake again.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I chose Safety above Folly and have relegated Win98SE ( commonly known as Silly Edition ) to the Great Bit Bucket in the sky and I have a Brother MFC-240C All-In-One copy/printer/scanner that accepts the Flash cards for its use I tried the USB Safely Remove application and it works flawlessly.

I really like the features

• "Return device back!" feature new! sometimes it would be very useful to return it back to the system
  • Stops any kind of hot-swap devices. new!
  • Hiding drives of empty card reader slots! you will see only those drives of the card reader where memory cards are connected
  • Ability to eject card reader memory cards
  • Drive letter management
  • Exploring a device drive in an alternative file manager
  • Mount point support mount your USB storage devices as a folder of a fixed drive
  • Improved interface

Another reason you probably don't like it is that it only works on Win2K - Vista

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I use my 'safely remove hardware' taskbar option from windows every time. Once you lose files, as I did, by removing a usb device too early, you don't make that mistake again.

The same here. Although I use it I've still had two corruptions happen, but there's really nothing vital on that USB thumb drive as I only backup my PS3 saved game data.

I find ChkDsk rather annoying filling up almost the whole disk capacity when choosing the repair option which is why I now just re-format the USB thumb drive and start out fresh.

I have a Sony NWZ-B103F MP3 player with FM tuner that is amazing that is like

t2158_player.png

It is so easy to drag music items from my collection to its storage so that I can listen to them on the bus.

Listening to Bruce Springsteen belting out a few tunes is so much more uplifting than the boring classics, Hip Hop, Rap that is over the air right now.

IE7Pro user