Applications/Windows/Regedit ?

Jerry Lundegaard

Before posting this I used the search option and piled through several pages but didn't find what I was looking for ... apologies if this has already been covered somewhere.

When setting up CCleaner, if you check the box for Applications/Windows/Regedit, what exactly will get deleted? What is the protocol? I had a major snafu editing the registry a few years ago and have been skittish about that since. I use Registry Mechanic for cleaning up the registry. Can someone explain what CCleaner does with regedit? Is it accurate to assume that periodically using Registry Mechanic accomplishes the same task?

In a related question: in Settings/Advanced there is an option to "only delete Windows temp files that are older than 48 hours." Is this just an abundance of caution type option? What is the recommended setting? I am inclined to not use that option and have all temp files cleaned but would be interested in any input on that.

Thank you for your assistance.

• Moderators

AFAIK it's only the last location information, (i.e. when you close the regedit and it remember's where you were)

I just tested it and that is what it did.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
In a related question: in Settings/Advanced there is an option to "only delete Windows temp files that are older than 48 hours." Is this just an abundance of caution type option? What is the recommended setting? I am inclined to not use that option and have all temp files cleaned but would be interested in any input on that.

Some setup programs that require a system restart will leave files in a Temp directory, and will finish the setup process after the restart. I personally have disabled the 48 hour rule, and won't run CCleaner when an application requests a restart. After the restart and after the application that requested a restart during installation it's now safe to use CCleaner.

Also see the CCleaner Beginner's Guide.

I like WhyReboot

WhyReboot is a small (~100KB) Windows application that helps you decide whether to reboot your computer after running an installer. It does this by displaying a list of "pending file operations" (rename, delete, etc) that will occur after rebooting your computer. Quite often, no reboot is really needed.
http://exodusdev.com/products/whyreboot?re...p;ver=1.0.1.537

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

There are things beyond WhyReboot. :wacko::ph34r:

It is quicker and better to get clean programs and certain things reset by a Reboot.

Of course there are some users who insist that "THEY know better". These are the same ones that always have "glitches", hang-ups, slow-downs, freezes, you name it they have had it.

Has your computer been acting "weird" lately ? :blink::o

:) davey

Before posting this I used the search option and piled through several pages but didn't find what I was looking for ... apologies if this has already been covered somewhere.

When setting up CCleaner, if you check the box for Applications/Windows/Regedit, what exactly will get deleted? What is the protocol? I had a major snafu editing the registry a few years ago and have been skittish about that since. I use Registry Mechanic for cleaning up the registry. Can someone explain what CCleaner does with regedit? Is it accurate to assume that periodically using Registry Mechanic accomplishes the same task?

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forums. :P

Good questions and answers from those here.

The one thing I know about your Regedit question is that you will not lose your Regedit Favorite settings.

Registry Mechanic is similar to what CCleaner Registry Issues function does.

As regards "Windows temp files older than 48 hours" most users leave that option off.

As Andavari points out there are some applications that store things in the Temp folders and rely on that data being there during or after the Reboot.

Therefore it is not recommended to run CCleaner immediately after installing new software or deleting some old software in my mind at least. I will wait awhile to run CCleaner in these situations. I will also avoid doing "defrags" soon as well. I would rather wait until I am certain everything is stable before doing "maintenance" type programs or procedures. Of course if you have many "automatic" things then you have created your own "rock and a hard place".

Good luck,

:) davey

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Beginners advice

Start here with this link and follow its advice.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208