CCleaner and IE7 cache files

Hoibie

Hello to all. I'll try to make this brief. I'm on an Athlon 64 - 3400+, 1gB Crucial RAM & Seagate 500gB drive. Abit M/B with integ NVIDIA graphics - nothing special - just use it for file store and my wife's low usage email. It has XP Pro SP3 and I use IE7. All drivers are up to date and are from the hardware manufacturer's website(s) - I use Driver Genius to track them.

I have this one file I want to be rid of and I think CCleaner should be able to do the job. But... Let me back up a minute. I've not been able to backup the system recently because in the middle of a backup job, it BSODs with a 0X19 stop (Bad_Pool_Header). I can replicate this error with an "on-demand" backup using two different backup utility suites. Without going into a long song and dance, as I try to copy everything off to another drive, I see XP Pro refuses to copy this one particular file out of a folder labelled "YQ9HF0B5" which is likely a hidden folder to store IE7's cache or perhaps its cookie files. XP stops the copy because this one file has too long a filename ( a really gory looking long string of characters) I think this is a corrupt cookie file (at least the filename is so long XP won't budge it) and I'm thinking this corrupt file may be doing something to create the BSOD when the system goes through to back up. I can surf all day with this machine as well as do any other task, like convert an AVI for example. Because of the unique way, now, that IE7 is hiding the cache from the user, you can't find it in Explorer. I've tried exploring in safe mode. I've tried DOS as in go to the root and do a "dir YQ*.* . I've tried Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab > Delete All. I've then tried CCleaner to clear the errored cache file/cookie and its folder. I've tried all of these steps in my account as well as the wife's acct (admin permissions OK).

Isn't CCleaner 2.11 supposed to be able to dump ALL browser files including index.dat?

Second question: Would anyone know of a good way to absolutely find that folder so I can work with it and dump it for good?

I'm of the opinion that should I get rid of the long filename/corrupted cache/cookie file, I might be able to get rid of the BSOD and move on.

What's the opinion of the group here?

Thanks.

Windows Explorer, Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files' and 'Hidden files and folders'. Now the folder will be visible.

Start, run (replace USER NAME with yours) or paste into the address bar of Win Explorer:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

You should see several folders with random characters. Have you tried running the disk cleanup utility?

• Moderators

if that doesn't del the file use unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/) safe and effective. Also try and run CCleaner in safe mode. What Specificaly is the file? what antimalware (antivirus, antispyware) r you running?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Well I've done pretty much all that has been suggested. The filename is long and filled with "%20" escape codes. I've visited Folder Options and I've visited IE7s cache cleaner feature (which is the same as going through Control Panel). Thing is you can't view any of the files in the Temporary Internet folder because it's locked down tight, they won't let you view inside it, they won't let you delete it -not even in safe mode and not even when using another admin acct.

Going to have to think about this some more....

Thanks for the advice.

What I would do is to download MBAM then run it to get its latest updates then run a Quick scan and let it remove whatever it finds and do a reboot to let it remove the locked files if it finds them:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Posts its log file file here if you like.

I would go to Control Panel then Internet Options then in Browsing history click on Delete then click on Delete in Temporary Internet Files then go back to Browsing history then click on Settings and move the slider down to 100MB as that is quite adequate for day to day browsing then I would also set the History for 7 days to reduce the History storage as I find I usually can't remember what I did yesterday never mind 7 days ago.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

OK, folks, here's the real cause and solution:

When I prepped the new disk, I was unaware that Seagate's Disk Wizard imposes a "disk signature" on the drive. Subsequently, I used my cloning software which went through and imposed the cloned image but this important "signature" was inconsistent and probably caused problems with the Volume Shadow Copy service used during the backup process. Whew! I was just lucky to find this.

Anyway, now I don't believe that IE7's cache was the corruption I was looking for. It was something completely unrelated but that's what happens when you have to "guess" at what the cause of an issue is with these things. I did learn how to create a boot disk with SATA drivers slipstreamed - something that I didn't even know was possible. And I did learn how to clean out IE7s caches - absolutely clean them out. So I don't feel it's a total loss and now I'm going to set about re-cloning without Disk Wizard's help.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate.