FreeCommander

YoKenny

FreeCommander is an easy-to-use alternative to the standard windows file manager. The program helps you with daily work in Windows. Here you can find all the necessary functions to manage your data stock. You can take FreeCommander anywhere - just copy the installation directory on a CD or USB-Stick - and you can even work with this program on a foreign computer.

Main features in FreeCommander:

• Dual-panel technology - horizontal and vertical
  • Tabbed interface
  • Optional tree view for each panel
  • Built in file viewer to view files in hex, binary, text or image format
  • File viewer inside archives too
  • Built in archive handling: ZIP (read, write), CAB (read, write), RAR (read)
  • Nested archive handling
  • Built in FTP client
  • Easy access to system folders, control panel, desktop and start menu
  • Copy, move, delete, rename files and folders
  • Multi rename tool
  • Wipe files
  • Create and verify MD5 checksums
  • File splitting
  • File properties and context menu
  • Calculation of folder size
  • Folder comparison / synchronization
  • Modification of file date and attributes
  • Folder / program favorites
  • File searching (inside archive too)
  • File filters for display
  • User defined columns for detailed view
  • DOS command line
  • Multiple language support

http://www.freecommander.com/index.htm

Version history:

http://www.freecommander.com/fc_logchanges_en.htm

;) Uncheck free links to eBay, not required to run the program.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm currently using the dev version of CubicExplorer. It seems to work well with my setup. I do have those two as well though.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

I'm currently using the dev version of CubicExplorer. It seems to work well with my setup. I do have those two as well though.

I think all the Windows Explorer replacments are much better than Windows Explorer. I use Explorer2 everyday and would be lost without dual panes.

It looks sounds and looks good. From the screenshots it seemingly has more buttons than an F1 car steering wheel. :lol:
It does not have as good sound effects nor head twisting motion nor the gorgeous chicks ;)

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

If this app replaces the standard Windows Explorer, how safe is it to install/uninstall? I tried O&O Disk Defrag once which is a snap-in replacement for the standard windows defragger in Computer Management. When I uninstalled it, it took the standard Windows Defrag with it. Apparently the defrag API is still as there, as I'm able to use other apps like Auslogics Defrag, but I'd rather avoid problems like this with Explorer.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

This one looks interesting

Q-Dir makes your files and folder easy to manage.

Fast and easy access, with an amazing Quadro-View technique.

You don't have to renounce the usual, Drag and Drop, all Views, and other functions of your system.

No! Q-Dir gives you other nice functions, that make you happy.

One can save many hand moves and also time!

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Software/...anguage=english

IE7Pro user

If this app replaces the standard Windows Explorer, how safe is it to install/uninstall? I tried O&O Disk Defrag once which is a snap-in replacement for the standard windows defragger in Computer Management. When I uninstalled it, it took the standard Windows Defrag with it. Apparently the defrag API is still as there, as I'm able to use other apps like Auslogics Defrag, but I'd rather avoid problems like this with Explorer.

This can be used as a portable app. No need to install. Extract it to a folder and launch it. It's not meant to replace Windows Explorer you use it instead of Windows Explorer. Windows Explorer will still be there and installing uninstalling this won't mess with Windows Explorer.

I gave Free Commander another try and it is greatly improved since the last time I tried it. I like it a lot and will will start using it instead of Explorer2. Great program.

One very stupid design flaw I found though. This is a dual pane and tabbed interface program. The developer has a pile of buttons that you can put on the tool bar to access commonly used functions instead of using the Main Menu. There is a button for almost everything but a new tab :blink: You have to go into the Main Menu to do this. Yet there are buttons for almost everything else. Makes no sense to me. Making a new tab is a very common thing with this type of program. I do it constantly in Explorer2.

• Moderators

Nice one Ken, I tried all the various apps mentioned here, and Q-Dir is something I've needed like forever, and never had.

I was doing some stuff last night which needs 3 windows open to swap and change files around, and it was so easy with this little gem.

:)