ie antivirus popup

DHBaldwin

My kids computer has a problem and I cant seem to get rid of it. I get a warning telling me I have a security problem and I need to download [rogue antivirus] it pops up constantly to the point of Internet Explored closing and restarting. If I use IE with no-addons it doesnt do it...Please someone HELP me get rid of this crap. I am running McAfee and it never caught it. Dont know how it got there?? I ran CC and it cleaned my system ok but this is still there.....anyone PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks for any help

DHBaldwin

Edited by Andavari
Please do not link to rogue antivirus software sites.

• Moderators

Hi DH, sorry to hear of your problems. I can't get that link to load a page, but it sounds very suspicious.

If the pc is infected, can I suggest you follow the link below to get the assistance you'll need.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=16943

If anyone else can get the link working, what it shows may make the problem easier to fix.

Don't click that link. It gave my security programs a heart attack but they recovered gracefully and kicked the sucker into next week for trying to download uninvited software. That is obviously your problem so you need to visit the mentioned forum to get rid of it.

I'm using Norton Internet Security so I did some further investigation at Norton's website. The type of attack was labeled as "HTTP Misleading Application Detection". The risk is rated as high. The description of this attack is "This signature detects web pages displaying download prompts or fake scans to lure the user into downloading misleading applications". The recommended response is:

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).

2. Update the virus definitions.

3. Run a full system scan.

4. Delete any values added to the registry.

5. Find and stop the service.

My kids computer has a problem and I cant seem to get rid of it. I get a warning telling me I have a security problem and I need to download [rogue antivirus] it pops up constantly to the point of Internet Explored closing and restarting. If I use IE with no-addons it doesnt do it...Please someone HELP me get rid of this crap. I am running McAfee and it never caught it. Dont know how it got there?? I ran CC and it cleaned my system ok but this is still there.....anyone PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks for any help

DHBaldwin

Download MBAM then install it then Update its definitions then run Quick scan:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

A reboot may be necessary to remove infections.

Download SpywareBlaster then install it then update its definitions then Enable all protection:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user