CCleaner and WinZip...

randyc

I'm using CCleaner 2.09, and WinZip 11.2.

When I run CCleaner (the Cleaner option), if the Applications->Utilities->WinZip box is checked, my WinZip registry settings are changed after running CCleaner. Even if "0 bytes are to be removed".

I notice this because I set WinZip to extract to the open archive folder (which is not the default). After running CCleaner (and nothing else), the extract option is reset to the last extract folder. Taking a registry snapshot before and after running CCleaner confirms changes have been made.

Is this just me? And should this NOT be happening? I thought Cleaner mode only deleted files.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Welcome randyc

What operating system are you using?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

OS is WinXP SP2
I don't use WinZip just XP's built in extract of zip files so I can't help further.

Why don't you have SP3 installed?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I'm using CCleaner 2.09, and WinZip 11.2.

When I run CCleaner (the Cleaner option), if the Applications->Utilities->WinZip box is checked, my WinZip registry settings are changed after running CCleaner. Even if "0 bytes are to be removed".

I notice this because I set WinZip to extract to the open archive folder (which is not the default). After running CCleaner (and nothing else), the extract option is reset to the last extract folder. Taking a registry snapshot before and after running CCleaner confirms changes have been made.

Is this just me? And should this NOT be happening? I thought Cleaner mode only deleted files.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi Randy,

Welcome to the forum :D Thank you for taking the time to make a report.

It is not that I doubt you because I also have checked things in the past.

Make sure that WinZip is closed when you are doing the checks. before,during and after CCleaner or any Registry checking.

There are three .ini files that are available for your perusal. These files are embedded in CCleaner for special purposes.

You can get them at this link. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=107739

However, if you know what you are doing, you can modify these files and put them in the CCleaner folder.They will take precedence over what is embedded.

Review the winapp.ini entries for WinZip and you may make changes to do what you want.

I am relatively new to PCs so I cannot advise you but there are some very experienced programmer members that may be able to help you.

The WinZip entries have been set this way for a long time.You are the first member that I have seen to bring this up.

Maybe WinZip has changed and winapp.ini changes need to be changed also.

Good Luck,

:) davey

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Edited by davey

I don't use WinZip just XP's built in extract of zip files so I can't help further.

Why don't you have SP3 installed?

It's my office computer, so I have what they say I can have.

I did try this on my home computer (also XP Pro, SP2) and get the same symptoms.

I'll try to investigate further.

[investigates]

I understand now.

1. Cleaner mode does more than just delete files. It does work over the registry as well.

2. The registry keys in CCleaner's WinApp.ini file for WinZip do get deleted when Cleaner is run, which "resets" my settings to the defaults the next time I open WinZip. (I don't agree that those particular settings should be deleted, but it appears I can change it).

Thanks to all for your help, and esp the info on the ini files.