Microsoft said "Don't use CCleaner Registry!"

hawaii07

Recently I installed MS small business 2007 with the BCM tool. The BCM ?views? were not working properly (when changing, in Outlook, from "Contact" to "Mail" back into "Contact", my newly designed views disappeared).

After having contacted MS their solution was to create a new Outlook profile. At first this seemed to be the solution, however, it was not. Now MS informed me (blame me) that all these problems were caused because I am cleaning the CCleaner Registry. They say never to use the ?registry? in CCleaner and requested me to unclick everything.

I had indeed all ?Registry Integrity? clicked.

My questions to the forum mebers are:

- Is MS right by requesting me not to use the CCleaner Registry.?

- Should I not use any more CCleaner Registry or partly use this (which I should click and which not)

- Is MS right that, by me having cleaned constantly the Registry Integrity, my cleaning has caused the Outlook BCM problem?

Thank you for your help and sory for my English (A Dutchman living in France :rolleyes: )

• Moderators

The proof of the pudding (apologies, English phrase) is whether not cleaning the registry cures your problem. If it does, then some aspect of registry cleaning is the cause. Unless you can isolate the cause then the best solution is not to clean the registry.

(My experience is that most Dutch people, even those living in France, speak English better than most English people.)

Thank you both for your reply. I am not sure if these got me any further... If you have the time, perhaps you may like to respond on my questions. Perhaps these questions are unjust. Please help me to ask these questions more accurate.

Thanks,

• Moderators

You also need to look in the Cleaner section to make sure that Microsoft Office is unticked/disabled as allowing CCleaner and most other cleaning tools to "clean" it will remove your user made settings for Office.

• Moderators

For registry cleaning LESS is better use it only on entries you know you want gone read my signature and all will be well

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hmm, well this thread isn't a particularly good advert for using CC; as a matter of interest why does it have such an adverse efect on the registry. BTW I've used the registry tool on many occasions with out problem, maybe I need to be more cautious.

• Moderators

I think as Andavari said, unticking Microsoft Office in the ccleaner list will do the trick for the poster.

It is a natural thing to warn people against cleaning the registry unless they are confident at doing so and know what to watch out for.

It's probably a standard thing that MS warn people not to do.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 months later...
I think as Andavari said, unticking Microsoft Office in the ccleaner list will do the trick for the poster.

I have to agree.

I didn't uncheck something important I guess. After running CCleaner I have a MS Genuine Advantage update that will not complete. I have found on the internet that it is believed CCleaner deletes some registry entries for MS Office that should remain.

My problems are escalating. I reloaded the saved registry but things are still not right.

Win XP PRO SP3 Office 2007 :(

Be Careful

Have you tried a system restore?

I'd say MS was Palming you off as a reg clean is a possible cause,

but remember many many of us use the regclean in ccleaner with no issues (though this can't exclude it as the possible cause)

They probably do 'normal tshooting' then find a possible cause to blame.

if you can verify CCLeaner caused the issue the dev's can investigate it. at the moment its "MS says.."

- Is MS right by requesting me not to use the CCleaner Registry.?

- Should I not use any more CCleaner Registry or partly use this (which I should click and which not)

- Is MS right that, by me having cleaned constantly the Registry Integrity, my cleaning has caused the Outlook BCM problem?

1. its probably a default request not to touch your registry as it can have serious problems if not done correctly.

2. see above recommendation to leave the MS section unchecked in the cleaner section.

3. Anything is possible but many use it without issues

My problems are escalating.

It may help if you post the exact errors and problems you are now having and we may be able to help.

Did the system restore "start / all programs / accessories / system tools / system restore.

Try a 'repair install' of office.

fireryone