IE history removal slow?

AliceZ

• Moderators

sadly Alice there are a few 'undesirable features' with v5.23; performance being one of them.

rest-assured, the Devs do know, and are working on it, but until something is released, going back to v5.22 would be best.

previous releases are available from FileHippo.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

sadly Alice there are a few 'undesirable features' with v5.23; performance being one of them.

rest-assured, the Devs do know, and are working on it, but until something is released, going back to v5.22 would be best.

previous releases are available from FileHippo.

I found a copy of the SLIM version (that I use) of the V5.22 on my Win10 notebook (64 bit). Can I click on that and it will install over the V5.23 already installed? Or will I have to uninstall the V5.23 first and then click on the V5.22?

Can I also copy that V5.22 slim version onto my Win7 (64 bit) desktop?

Also, will it overwrite my current v5.23 (64 bit), or will I have to delete v5.23?

BTW: Are there different versions for 32 bit and 64 bit computers? Just wouldn't want to install the wrong bit.

• Moderators

BTW: Are there different versions for 32 bit and 64 bit computers? Just wouldn't want to install the wrong bit.

32-bit and 64-bit are both included within the same installer. The installer will know what to use for your computers.

As to rather you can install an older version over a newer version I don't know, probably wouldn't hurt to try an over-install and see if it works or doesn't.

• Moderators
will it overwrite my current v5.23 (64 bit), or will I have to delete v5.23?

You can install the older version without first removing the newer one.

I was wondering about this as well last week, so I tried it and just ran the installer for v5.22.

It overwrote v5.23 without any problems.

(Of course I now get pop-ups telling me a newer version is available)

EDIT.

For interest I just tried it with v5.09 (the oldest I have saved) and that also overwrote v5.22 and runs OK.

(I'll just go and put v5.22 back now).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the 524.5841 64 bit and notice it too might be a little "slow" with the Internet Explorer. Has anyone else tried and found any "problems" with the Internet Explorer history as there were with the 523?

It even mentioned "skipped" once when trying to check IE  (IE wasn't open).

It still seems to be slow checking (and removing) the Internet Explorer history.  (Compared to earlier versions, prior to 523.) 522 was okay.

Even though my default browser is FireFox and I seldom use IE, starting with version 5.23 (and both versions of 524) CCt takes 4 or 5 times longer to run.  The program appears to be grinding while cleaning something close to (this is from memory, so it could be wrong) C:\Users\username\Windows\History\IE5\somethingmore.... file associated with the current user.  Interestingly, after running an Analyze and viewing the details of every top level section that's about to be cleaned, there's no hint about this path.

So, it this something that wasn't being cleaned up though 522 but is now, or is it a bug trying to clean something which isn't needed in a FF environment?  In any case, it sure takes a long time to do whatever it's doing.

W7x32 Pro, FireFox 50, IE-11

But 524 is taking as long as 523 to delete "Internet Explorer - History," (regardless of size).

(522 was much quicker.)

Win 7 / 64 bit.

• Moderators

I think you'll find the reason it was quicker is it wasn't doing it properly, due to MS changes to IE/Edge, so Piriform has 'fixed' that in the later versions.

There certainly is a lot of threads covering the new releases, and I for one, have no idea if there still is an underlying issue but it's either going to go one of two ways; the Dev team will get on top of it and as soon as possible have a solution or due to those MS changes, CC is now going to have to do it the way it is.

CC v5.24 runs fine on my PC, but I don't use IE or Edge but then nor do a lot of the other threads covering this current issue.

There are numerous unanswered questions out there pertaining to each thread's circumstances: have you tried Safe Mode, is your AV an issue, does Skype effected it at all,.. to name some from the top of my head...

A work-around for the short term may be to untick the IE history cleaning option and do it from with IE itself.

I have IE installed but I rarely use it even though CC keeps reporting it when I run CC before i close down my Win 7.

You say to untick IE history cleaning option. Where is that? I don't see it it the CC. I see FF mentioned, which I use, and it shows Chrome which I uninstalled some time ago.

ojl3tf.jpg

• Moderators

CC will show an uininstalled program if it still finds entries for it in its system files.

to see these files, run CC with the /export switch.

if you are interested, open winapp.ini and winsys.ini and search for Chrome.

that'll let you know on what basis CC is thinking you still have Chrome installed.

caution though - don't edit those CC files, and if you start digging into your Program Files folder or the Registry in order to remove the Chrome entries being detected, the usual USER BEWARE rules apply.

Thanks   Sorry, but I do not know what "to see these files, run CC with the /export switch" means.

Can I just let everything remain "as is?"

If the Chrome is still showing (and there might be a remnant of Chrome still on this Win7) that will not be a problem, will it?

• Moderators

You are entirely correct Alice,

If you leave things are they sit, there is no problem at all.

You are just seeing Chrome because there are traces left over from the uninstall process.

Many programs do that, it's very common.

Whatever is remaining that is enough to 'trick' CC into thinking Chrome is still around and needs to be cleaned will be 'glossed over' when the actually cleaning tries to take place as there is no Chrome installed !

(hope that makes sense) :unsure:

Just now I am having a different problem with 525. I do not have IE open and yet when I run CC I get

2vaibrp.png

I reinstalled 524 and still the same problem. Why is this happening all of a sudden? This is getting me upset with CC recently because I have been using it for many, many years without any problems.

• Moderators

CC v5.24 is the latest version, so I figured that's what you mean. :)

And yep, as you found in your post #6, another change in how CC operates is the warning you are seeing in your post #18.

Here is the official explanation on why CC now does this; https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=47334&p=277953

You can answer No since you don't use IE and CC will continue on.

Thanks.

Yes, I did mean v5.24. Sorry.

Sad to say I am still confused.

#1- If I had answered "Yes,"  (as I think I might have in the past) would that have caused a problem? Even though IE was NOT open?

#2- And if I see that "Internet Explorer needs to be closed to continue on...." in the future, AND IE is not open, the best thing to do would be for me to just click on NO and let CC do it's thing?

#3- Why is it showing "Internet Explorer needs to be closed to continue on..."  when IE isn't open?

#4- Would you know why 'all' these 'problems' are popping up recently? As I mentioned, I've been using CC for maybe 20 years (?) or longer and never had any problems.

P.S. It still seems to be taking longer to do the 'checking' of IE Internet History than it did in 5.22. 5.22 flew right though it but this 5.24 stays on the checking IE Internet History for several seconds, at least.

Apologies for all the questions but just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong and that I do have a 110% workable CCleaner on this Win7 machine. At my age now, I don't need any more problems as I got enough of them already.

• Moderators

It still seems to be taking longer to do the 'checking' of IE Internet History than it did in 5.22. 5.22 flew right though it but this 5.24 stays on the checking IE Internet History for several seconds, at least.

I finally experienced what so many others have posted about with it taking so long on IE history when I cleaned my mothers Win10 laptop.

• Moderators

#1- If I had answered "Yes,"  (as I think I might have in the past) would that have caused a problem? Even though IE was NOT open?

#2- And if I see that "Internet Explorer needs to be closed to continue on...." in the future, AND IE is not open, the best thing to do would be for me to just click on NO and let CC do it's thing?

#3- Why is it showing "Internet Explorer needs to be closed to continue on..."  when IE isn't open?

#4- Would you know why 'all' these 'problems' are popping up recently? As I mentioned, I've been using CC for maybe 20 years (?) or longer and never had any problems.

I also don't use IE/Edge, I'm on Win10, use CC about weekly and I haven't had any issues with v5.24 so I can only come at this from a theoretical point of view.

#1. If you answer Yes, CC will either close IE and continue on OR it will try to, fail, and ask you again.  I suspect the fail path because IE isn't actually opened BUT something IE'ish is.

CC needs access to some file to clean it, it can't because it's in use by something.  IE and Edge share files, maybe other MS products do too (Skype, Defender, Windows Live Mail, who knows what else) and it's one one those causing CC to throw up that message.

#2, yes and then to clean IE, go into it and go to Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History section, Delete button.

#3, hopefully the explanation in #1 sheds some light on that.

#4, in my #19 post, the link explains why this has happened.

I finally experienced what so many others have posted about with it taking so long on IE history when I cleaned my mothers Win10 laptop.

I guess you will be continuing to run 5.24 on your mother's Win10, even though it is taking longer on the IE history? Actually mine is taking longer on my Win7 and not so long on my Win10. Go figure (what is going on)? Guess everyone will just keep using the v5.24. Just a bit frustrating for me.

Haven't tried my Vista yet.

• Moderators

Yes, I'll use the newest portable version on her Win10 laptop since that's what's required to properly clean the IE due to the changes Microsoft made to it.

Luckily on my old XP system that I use it zips through cleaning with no speed issues.

Yes, I'll use the newest portable version on her Win10 laptop since that's what's required to properly clean the IE due to the changes Microsoft made to it.

Luckily on my old XP system that I use it zips through cleaning with no speed issues.

This is happening on my Win 7.

Seems to run faster on my Vista though. Guess many CC users are a bit "baffled" by the IE issue and the time it takes to check or delete the files, etc..