This app can't run on this pc

corganiser

Ccleaner doesn't work on this version of windows.

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else, I've looked but can't find it. I have used the free version for years and it is an excellent piece of software. However recently I get the above error message every time I try to launch Ccleaner. Every time I have to download and instal from new. The good news is that my preferences including protected cookies are retained. But I just get a single use version because the next time I try to run I have to go through this loop again.

I am running windows 10 home version 1607 x64 bit.

Is there a solution to this problem please?

• Moderators

TM,

He says he is already downloading the latest version, but is only getting one use each time he downloads before the problem returns.

Corganiser,

It may be worth upgrading your Windows 10 to version 1703 (The Creators Update).

You will get this eventually through the Automatic Updates should be in the next couple of months, but you can go and get it now rather than waiting.

I updated mine a couple of months ago rather than waiting for the AU.

Go to this page and click on the "Update Now" button.

(Or if you prefer use the Media Creation Tool on the same page to make a USB or Disc to install from).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Usual warning, it's an OS upgrade so backup your system (at least make a copy of your documemts, pictures, videos, etc) to external media before installing it..

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I have now updated windows 10 to creator as suggested. No change. Ccleaner still insists that it can't run on this pc (that is the precise wording of the message). Again I download the latest version of ccleaner, run it once and I'm then straight back into "can't run" etc. Another download and repeat over and over.

Elsewhere on the web I have found suggestions that I should disable windows 10 compatibility assistant as this is what is blocking ccleaner and producing the "can't run" message. This doesn't seem straight forward - anybody got any thoughts on that?

• Moderators

have you tried a completely clean install of CC - that is, uninstall current version, delete Program Files folder of CC (keeping .ini file if required), reboot PC, download and reinstall CC?

also, have you given the Portable build a try? (just in case it helps)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

SOLVED BY ACCIDENT

Firstly thanks to all who tried to help.

In preparation for MTA's suggestion I looked in the start menu to see if ccleaner had an uninstall option there. I accidentally opened ccleaner and it opened fine. I closed it and reopened it - no problem. I then tried to open if from the taskbar (my usual route to ccleaner) and got the error message To be honest I don't understand this at all but I unpinned ccleaner from the taskbar and then opened the app from the start menu. It opened fine. Once opened I pinned it to the taskbar once more and now it opens from both the start menu and the taskbar.

I can only assume the taskbar path has been corrupted somehow. If anybody has an explanation that might serve to help others in the future it would be good to know.

• Moderators

pinned taskbar icons are just shortcuts to the actual program location, and although they can get corrupted, I can't explain why yours worked at least once.

very strange - but then that is computing!

accident or not, always take a win when they come along.

and although the reasoning is unknown, there is a solution for the next poor sap.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Well a win is a win, good that you got it working again.

It does sound as if the taskbar shortcut was pointing to the wrong place, although just how that happened???

(Pity you didn't check the pathname in the shortcut properties before unpinning it).

So CC was installing correctly, and running automatically as soon as you installed it, but when you clicked the taskbar shortcut to run it again it was pointing to the wrong file or folder and so could not find it.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043