Cannot activate Windows Defender, Event 577

balloon66

I am using Gdata total security. Since the windows anniversary update I cannot activate windows defender. It is telling me:

Windows could not start the Windows Defender service on Local Computer. Error 577: Cannot verify digital signal; Recent hardware or software change might have installed a file incorrectly or damaged or might be malicious software source unknown. 

I have already tried to uninstall GData and used the AVCleaner from their homepage. But it is not possible to activate Windows Defender.

I have already made Sfc /scannow, etc., and made an inplace upgrade with windows 10.

What else can I do?

• Moderators

see if this helps; http://www.devhut.net/2014/08/18/windows-8-windows-defender-will-not-turn-on-error-577/

But personally, I'd be looking for another AV.

Defender, in all it's incarnations, as never rated well in any AV lab test that I've seen.

Admitted, better than nothing, but there are plenty of better, free ones.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hello mfa, thank you for responding.

I know that defender is not rated well. But with anniversary update windows changed its design and I just want to see if I can use the defender.

So know there is the possibility of doing an offline scan or doing a scheduled scan regardless of GData. In the windows registry there are no longer entries for defender. I am a little bit

helpless because I have a Desktop with GData and defender not working (windows 10 pro 64 bit) and a laptop with Gdata, windows 64 bit home and

defender working as it should...

• Moderators

if Windows detects a third party security program, it should disable Defender.

it tries to make sure there is only one AV running at any time.

so if you have GData running, Defender shouldn't be.  if so, that would indicate some issue with how Windows is detecting (or not detecting) GData.

• Moderators

thanks for the link, I had not noticed that change with the Anniversary Update.

still, can't see why you'd want two programs scanning your PC, at potentially the same time.

and why you'd want one of them to be, by all industry standards, a sub-par performer.

I had to smile in the first paragraph where the author claims "you don’t need an antivirus program from Norton, Avast or the rest; they’re noisy and cause problems and don’t provide any important additional protection"

I suspect Bruce Berls may have ulterior motives...  or is just biased... or just ill-informed. :D

• Moderators

I will just add my thoughts here.  Defender in Windows 10 is a different animal now.

Combined with Smart Screen Filter, it is an av I wouldn't hesitate to put on friends and families machines, I certainly wouldn't call it a sub-par performer at all.

I don't take too much notice of published tests, some of which are paid for by some of the companies anyway.

There is a lot to be said for running an av which causes no problems with the operating systems like some 3rd party one do.

As I said... just my opinion :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I was wondering when you would chime in @hazelnut, as I know you are still an avid user of Defender (I think there is another on the forums too). :D

I use Smart Screen filter as well, as we've touched on before in other posts, it's all about a layered security approach.

And you are dead right about published results, stats are very flexible depending on the argument being pushed.

And Indeed, perhaps MS has changed Defenders core structure, I'll have to go out and gather some recent stats on the matter.

Good job to do today....

• Moderators

As I beta test for an av company I don't have Defender on my machines, but my husband and rest of my relatives do (all Win 10 users)

I also set it up on about 10 machines a week at the little place I help out at.

That's usually after uninstalling a 3rd party av that has tied the OS in knots :)

Not the one I test for of course :lol:

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hello,

coming back to the roots: I have uninstalled GData but Windows Defender will not activate...

Have you checked the link mta posted above?

Have you checked in TaskManager that part of GData isn't still running?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

No other security update. This pc is an alienware x51r2 and I bought last year in November with a clean install of windows 10 64 bit pro.

It came without security software and the only security-programm I have installed is GData Total protection.

• Moderators

Have you run a DISM yet?

Open cmd prompt as admin (easy way is to right-click on Windows start and select it from there)

Enter the following where the cursor is flashing.

DISM /Online  /Cleanup-Image  /RestoreHealth    (note the space after the words Online and Image)

Then press Enter and have a coffee as it can take a little while and sometimes looks like it has stuck on 20%

Bear in mind that if you have G Data installed again you won't be able to activate WD anyway.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

The problem is the Gdata-Programm. Yesterday I uninstalled the Total Protection again and used the tool from their homepage. Restarting the PC there were Gdata-related events in the windows event viewer

regarding the windows logon and Gdata-Driver starting and so on.

Funny - GData support is blaming Microsoft...

I will have to live with the fact that windows defender on this PC cannot be activated unless I install a clean windows...

• Moderators

and a long shot, what about Restore Points.

have you got them going back before GData was first installed?

or better still, any chance you have made a System Image either in Control Panel, Backup & Restore, or with a 3rd party vendor (Macrium Reflect if excellent, and free)

Hello mfa and hazelnut,

thank you very much for your help.

There are no services to be found regarding Gdata. GData was first installed in November 2015 on this machine. I kept no restore points before that date.

I am using Acronis True Image for imaging. But I also did not keep an image that is nearly a year old. So I have to live with struggling defender. Maybe next year I

will made a clean install when anniversary update II is released in April 2017.

Thank for your helping.

Uwe