SSD cleaning

ismet08

• Moderators

By all means. Don't use secure file deletion, or wipe free space, or Drive Wiper. In other words just use CC to delete files, don't do any overwriting.

By all means. Don't use secure file deletion, or wipe free space, or Drive Wiper. In other words just use CC to delete files, don't do any overwriting.

Hello,

I recently purchased an SSD. Can you please tell me why it's not a good idea to do any overwriting on an SSD?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Because a write - which is what overwriting is - will be done to a new page, and the existing data page sent to the invalid page pool untouched. A normal deletion will send the deleted page directly to the invalid page pool where it is inaccessible by any user, and will subsequently be emptied (i.e. set back to all ones) and sent to the valid page pool by the SSD controller.

So an overwrite is just unneccessary work and wear and tear on your SSD. The SSD controller will do the overwriting for you. All 'normal' SSD deletes are de facto secure overwrites.

Because a write - which is what overwriting is - will be done to a new page, and the existing data page sent to the invalid page pool untouched. A normal deletion will send the deleted page directly to the invalid page pool where it is inaccessible by any user, and will subsequently be emptied (i.e. set back to all ones) and sent to the valid page pool by the SSD controller.

So an overwrite is just unneccessary work and wear and tear on your SSD. The SSD controller will do the overwriting for you. All 'normal' SSD deletes are de facto secure overwrites.

Okay, so as long as I use Normal file deletion (faster), don't Wipe Free MFT Space, and don't use the Drive Wiper, I should be fine using CCleaner on my SSD?

Also, what about Wipe Alternate Data Streams and/or Wipe Cluster Tips - should these be avoided as well? Is there anything else I should know about and/or avoid?

Thank you very much. I just ruined a VPS and lost a lot of important data/files because I ran CCleaner with the wrong settings and I don't want it to happen again. However, at the same time I'd still like to be able to use CCleaner.

Thanks again! :)

• Moderators

My spin on the SSD "to do or not to do" debate is really, it all comes down to your personal preferences.

You can do whatever you want to a SSD, there will be an I/O load that needs to be considered, as SSD's have a finite number of read/write cycle per memory cell.

At the start of their introduction, this I/O load was considered important (it still is) but SSD drives brought in those heady days are still in use (i still use my 64GB unit), so to a certain point, these 'points of consideration' are starting to be realised as not too scary after all.

BUT... compared to a HDD, it is a factor when performing what one person may consider wasteful read/writes, but if you need your data securely deleted say, then it's an overhead you may have to live with.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Wipe Alternate Date Streams/Cluster Tips is part of secure file deletion, so if you're not running sfd then you can't check these boxes.

Mta, the reason why overwrites (multiple or not) on an SSD are not recommended is that you can't physically overwrite an SSD data page, so it's a waste of both the SSD's and your own life doing it. It is not in the slightest way any more secure than a normal deletion. However the SSD controller will erase the pages (the equivalent of a secure delete) when a normal delete is done.

It's far better to run an occasional defrag Optimise, as this will mop up any deleted pages that TRIM has missed.

• Moderators

no argument from me on any of your points.

I wasn't recommending (or not) overwrites on a SSD, simply stating that the little buggers have proven to be more resilient then we were first advised. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.