Disable your java

hazelnut

Go to a gubmint site or your bank site. Rotsa ruck with getting anything done. Oh, you're 20? You'll find out later. Forget Java, most gubmint & bank sites require you log in using IE9. Mmm mmm mmm...IE9...

yuck!

• Moderators

If a program requires Java, I don't use it.

Ditto. I've been interested in a small amount of programs but have seen they require Java so I find a suitable alternative to them. That and in the past I've seen some rather shat programs written in Java that were RAM intensive and resource hogs.

My banking site runs on JavaScript, and lets me login even using Firefox Nightly (18.0a1)

My banking site has always used JavaScript, and works in any web browser I've tried. And if the site doesn't work it simply means they're doing maintenance which is seemingly always at an annoying time at like 8AM-9AM just before the actual physical site (not website) bank building opens.

Don't confuse web-based Java (applets etc) with the general purpose Java Platform. It's only the web where Java needs to die; everywhere else it's actually immensely useful. Android apps almost exclusively run on Java, as do many other cool things.

I'm Shane.

most gubmint & bank sites require you log in using IE9. Mmm mmm mmm...IE9...

yuck!

Century Link also requires it to "activate" your internet the 1st time. I tried using Firefox, & it wouldn't work cause it didn't have active-X.

Had to use Internet Exploder, :blink:

There are actually very few websites or web applications that require Java; I only know about three or four (Secunia OSI is one of them).

My country has just opened an e-voting website for expats; very useful, but it's fully written in Java.

I guess I will just keep the Java plugin disabled, and temporarily enable it when a site requires it.

P.S. LibreOffice is slowly going away from the JRE requirement. Right now only the DB component requires it, and that will be replaced in the next major release. OpenOffice on the other hand, now belonging to Oracle, will of course remain Java dependent.

• Moderators

Century Link also requires it to "activate" your internet the 1st time. I tried using Firefox, & it wouldn't work cause it didn't have active-X.

Don't tell me you actually installed their craptastic software?

You can configure everything via your modem configuration in this IP (of course the config screen still reads as Qwest):

P.S. LibreOffice is slowly going away from the JRE requirement. Right now only the DB component requires it, and that will be replaced in the next major release.

I had not realized that... Sounds good to me!

Java needs to die... Too many vulnerabilities...

Don't tell me you actually installed their craptastic software?

You can configure everything via your modem configuration in this IP (of course the config screen still reads as Qwest):

I usually use 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2.1, etc. But on this occasion, it came up & stated that it had to be activated first before the internet could be used. I presume because the individual I was assisting had a wireless modem connected to a wireless modem, so I hit reset to set default passwords to factory in order to adjust wifi settings while discarding the entirely unneeded second wireless point.

The assumption I have, is the ISP saw a different IP because of disconnecting the second box & thought the connection may have been hacked...

But until running IE through the setup process, it would not cease to bring up the Century link page whether you tried to browse to Google home page, MSN, or any other. Basically a page with "Please verify this is your phone number" etc, etc, to which you would have to click next until it finished "setting up your connection".

Yes, very much craptastic, and it was not fantastic. I think Active-X should be shot dead & left there.

• Moderators

P.S. LibreOffice is slowly going away from the JRE requirement. Right now only the DB component requires it, and that will be replaced in the next major release. OpenOffice on the other hand, now belonging to Oracle, will of course remain Java dependent.

When they finally get rid of JRE then I'll replace OpenOffice on my mothers computer with LibreOffice. OpenOffice is beyond annoying without JRE installed, yet I refuse to install it on her computer.

I have a copy of MS Office sitting in my desk, but I still prefer LibreOffice for some reason :rolleyes:

There are no doubt both known and as yet unknown vulnerabilities in :-

Flash, Java, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and MS Office.

I do believe that there are no deliberate "back-doors" in

Flash, Java, LibreOffice, OpenOffice. :lol:

I installed LibreOffice on my new Windows 7 system, but found that it would not format Word or Excel documents correctly, nor did it execute macros the same way as MS Office does. Worst of all, the Base portion (database) of LibreOffice was severely limited (no support for FULL OUTER JOIN, incorrect results for LEFT / RIGHT OUTER JOIN).

I finally installed MS Office and SQL Server, and all works as expected.

But I still need JRE for other apps.

nor did it execute macros the same way as MS Office does.

Neither does Microsoft Office.

I created Excel macros on a Windows 95 system.

My spreadsheets worked perfectly until I ran them on a later version of Office on a Windows 98 system.

When looking for a new job I created a CSV with Word.

It was formatted perfectly on my machine.

I checked it on a friend's PC and her Word scrambled the layout.

Isn't this quite old feature? Been using it ever since it got released (don't remember when :D), but yeah it's very useful.

I recall it previously wasn't as up-to-date as it is now, I usually had to check from Flash/Java website which is the latest version if I wanted to know it "immediately".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

so can i assume that it is the general consensus of this thread that if we removed java (and maybe flash) that our web browsing experience will be none the poorer ???

i'm always interested in making any PC more secure. i was just under the opinion (maybe naively) that java and flash were somewhat required, especially web bank sites. but i'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Maybe the best test is for me to simply remove those guys and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

You need Flash if you expect to visit sites that require it.

and of course the same goes for Java and any other plug-in or what-have-you.

You don't realise just how many programs & sites expect you to have these things installed to even look at the site, let alone view it in all it's glory.

so the trade-off is, be more secure, turn these things off or surf your sites as they were intended and run the risk (very small IMO) of falling victom to a security hole.

my 2 cents worth...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.