Restore Windows 2000 Compatibility

bluebolt

The latest version of CCleaner (4.00.4064) loses compatibility with the Windows 2000 operating system. CCleaner should remain compatible with the entire family of modern operating systems. While some of my machines use Windows XP, many of us also use W2K machines off-line -- a population of computers that doesn't show up on net-analytics. I think Piriform has the expertise to keep CCleaner working with Windows 2000, and that "feature" is obviously valuable to Windows 2000 users, since without it we cannot continue to use this fine product.

Piriform produce three other products besides CCleaner,

and I believe at least one of these, and mayne all three, no longer support W2K.

I would have thought that an old W2K computer that is offline does not need to be subject to updated applications,

and therefore the junk will not be created in new locations,

so the older versions of CCleaner will still know exactly where to find and remove the junk.

Guest Keatah

The latest version of CCleaner (4.00.4064) loses compatibility with the Windows 2000 operating system. CCleaner should remain compatible with the entire family of modern operating systems. While some of my machines use Windows XP, many of us also use W2K machines off-line -- a population of computers that doesn't show up on net-analytics. I think Piriform has the expertise to keep CCleaner working with Windows 2000, and that "feature" is obviously valuable to Windows 2000 users, since without it we cannot continue to use this fine product.

I don't understand what you're saying here.. Why can't you use CCleaner anymore with w2k? Did they all-of-a-sudden deactivate previous installs? Or did the code stop working on a specific date? Just because Piriform is no longer supporting w2k doesn't mean the previous 3.28 version will stop working.

W2k itself isn't being updated anymore and it still works. Same deal with w2k applications. CCleaner will continue to work too.

Well in any case, between the Winapp2.ini and the INCLUDE function, CCleaner can be adapted to accommodate any changes you might do your system.

I would have thought that an old W2K computer that is offline does not need to be subject to updated applications,

and therefore the junk will not be created in new locations,

so the older versions of CCleaner will still know exactly where to find and remove the junk.

Whether it's an old W2K computer or a brand new Windows 2000 installation on a brand new computer, software may be installed and uninstalled (whether the computer is used on the internet or not). CCleaner is helpful in more ways than one, and computers are used in many ways other than just surfing the web. It's really not especially difficult to secure Windows 2000 for web surfing, and the system computationally works great, which is, after all, what computers are for.

Why can't you use CCleaner anymore with w2k? Did they all-of-a-sudden deactivate previous installs? Or did the code stop working on a specific date? Just because Piriform is no longer supporting w2k doesn't mean the previous 3.28 version will stop working.

Piriform could stop updating ccleaner altogether for all operating systems and it would not "stop working" under those platforms; it is updated for good reason, and I think that good reason applies to Windows 2000 as to any other operating system.

its ok, that w2000 droped out in ccleaner 4 :-) take version 3.28!

2000 isnt a modern system, no antivirus support this windows

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

And you are free to continue using 3.28 (as the others here have said)

obviously any software will grow out of sync with sunsetted Operating System Should it also support NT4 in forever? Windows 2000 stopped being supported by Microsoft is July 2010, nearly 3 years ago. Why should users have to forgo new features because someone still runs an insecure nominally-dead Operating System.

as far as

brand new Windows 2000 installation on a brand new computer

I've no idea why ANYbody in their right mind would do this.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

i take for w98 ccleaner v 2.36 and its good. :-)

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I would suggest that it’s not so difficult to understand, especially in light of recent Windows operating systems Vista, 7, and 8, any of which could be characterized as insecure, and two of which are certainly “dead,” albeit walking dead. Arguably, no one in their right mind would run Vista or Windows 8, yet they do. These systems are all part of the market ccleaner serves. So is Windows 2000, which is lean, fast, and functionally superb, plus supported by anti-virus and anti-spyware software of the same type I use on Windows XP, a system with which it has much in common. I suspect that with just a little effort Piriform can restore compatibility with ccleaner.

Guest Keatah

Piriform could stop updating ccleaner altogether for all operating systems and it would not "stop working" under those platforms; it is updated for good reason, and I think that good reason applies to Windows 2000 as to any other operating system.

I understand completely. And I'm not arguing or dissing anyone or anything. I'm also not sure updates to CCleaner are fire-hot-necessary for any older o/s, including XP.

My reasoning is that these older os'es aren't undergoing major changes in their infrastructure anymore. And CCleaner is already developed to a point where it works very well. Changes that do happen to these older systems are mainly limited to addition and removal of applications. CCleaner adapts to that, like I say, through Winapp2.ini and the INCLUDE function. The few bugs left in CCleaner are of little consequence and known well enough to work around.

It is also important to recognize that as CCleaner grows to support new operating systems, it will incorporate new specific features of its target o/s. Eventually, perhaps 5 years from now, CCleaner will have so many new things that it won't apply to older os'es anymore. This is inevitable evolution.

There comes a time when something is already developed enough and I believe we've reached that point with CCleaner and older os'es.

If you're thinking that CCleaner will continue evolving toward wiping out all the personal information revealed by Nir Sofer's LastActivityView, and that as an unsupported w2k user you'll be left behind, think again. Because nothing short of a forensic grade wipe will kill all those remnants.

I suspect that with just a little effort Piriform can restore compatibility with ccleaner.

I'm sure that's the case. I suspect the reason it isn't done because the newer os'es have new features and now warrant their own branch of code. Eventually the two branches grow farther apart and it becomes better to have two separate versions of something.

for w2000 no new software will be developed, and no new cleanerfunktion are necessary-like for w98 :-)

i take for w98 v236 and you take for w2000 just v 328 :-)

RUBBISH

What is "I think that good reason applies to Windows 2000".

If you cannot clearly define that "good reason",

Why should we believe your assessment of the difficulty of continuing to support an Operating System that Microsoft abandoned years ago ?

If Piriform had stopped updating CCleaner last year then it would not have had the capability to clean Windows 8 or IE10.

As you say - it would not have "stopped working" on those - it just would never have "started.working"

A good reason for updating CCleaner is to cope with new junk deposited in new folders by new and/or updated browsers and other applications.,

none of which is likely to apply to a legacy W2K system which has no need for anything new or updated because you claim

is lean, fast, and functionally superb, plus supported by anti-virus and anti-spyware software of the same type I use on Windows XP, a system with which it has much in common.

Guest Keatah

Upgrade madness is just that, upgrade madness! Update this, update that.. Pffaggghh!! You spend more time doing that than getting real stuff done.

• Moderators

this is the downside of using an officially unsupported OS.

hardware/software companies no longer have to release products/services that run on them.

if they do, they do so out of good grace to their large customer base, as that base dries up, so will their support of it.

it's time to build a bridge and get over it.

put up with older hardware/software versions that work, or upgrade the OS.

the same will be happening to all the current XP users in a few years...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

well said MTA.

OK I think both sides have had their say. The developer do read all threads, in an earlier 3.2x version W2K was broken (removed?) and put back in. My GUESS is it was initially removed in preparation for 4.x but re-added temporarily as the features which required it's removal was not yet added to ccleaner.

v3.22.1800 (24 Aug 2012)

- Added full support for Windows 8.

- Improved Startup Item tool compatibility.

- Improved benchmarking for Cleaner summary results.

- Improved support for Custom Files and Folders.

- Improved file security algorithms.

- Added option to Exclude a single registry value.

- Improved wildcard support in search boxes.

- Fixed support for Windows 2000.

- Minor GUI improvements.

- Minor bug fixes.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com