Download site has phony download link

Lucky #007

Just an FYI, right below the CCleaner logo there is a download button that is for some other application.  Wasn't paying attention and installed it when trying to upgrade.  Went back through and noticed the download button was off to the right and looked like it was greyed out.  I think it was a file off the file hippo site where I ended up after clicking the upgrade link inside CCleaner.  I notice that's not where you go if you're just downloading a fresh copy for the piriform page.

• Moderators

FileHippo is known for placing ads that will confuse people into downloading the wrong thing so what you're reporting is already known by many on this forum - it's nothing new since it was reported on here years ago by people duped into downloading the wrong thing. That kind of ad placement trickery (or deception) can very easily happen on download sites if you don't use an adblocking extension in your web browser such as; uBlock Origin, or Adblock Plus.

The safest bet is to bookmark and only download CCleaner updates directly from Piriform at:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

I have no problem with that and would prefer to download directly.  That said, I ended up there following prompts from directly within CCleaner.  If this is a known issue and has been, then the internal updates should really not end up going to filehippo at all.