Can't install CCleaner

Tuinlaaf

For some reason, I'm suddenly no longer able to install CCleaner. After a clean Windows installation, I've downloaden CCleaner and started the installer. It shows up allright, I can change some things (like the directory and the shortcuts) and then I click "Install". Nothing happens. An older version of CCleaner is not running in the background. Also, Windows Installer is not active at all. I had no problems re-installing Recuva and Speccy. What can I do about this situation? CCleaner is very important for me!

I'm running Windows 10 1703 on a normal x64 Intel processor. Never had problems with CCleaner before. 

Thanks for the post. I have the same problem - it has generally been a little hard to follow the path, without inadvertently clicking on a download button that brings in something else, but this time, last week, when a popup popped up to say update, from 5.32.6129 to 5.33, I ran into more trouble than usual. It went via a place named Filegoat, and wanted to install  7z1604.exe and WEBSEARCH EXTENSION, but I did not succeed in installing the updated Ccleaner. Finally I tried a free trial of the paid version and that seems to be running OK. I guess it is 5.33 but it does not say which it is.

I am running a Dell OXPCG3 with an I7 processor, started as Win 7 but now up to 10. Shortly (working on setup, file transfer) moving to a Lenovo - hopefully leaving some of my troubles behind. 

And next time I will definitely use the link you suggested.

BTW, recently I ran Super Antispyware shortly after running Ccleaner, and it still said it cleaned out a lot of cookies - I was a little surprised that they had managed to hide from Ccleaner. Any suggestions? I try to be careful about the settings, and one thing I like about Ccleaner is that it does not lose the innumerable settings I have chosen when installing the updated version. OTOH, I have noticed with recent versions it puts an icon on the desktop and another one in the row of small icons at the bottom of the page; I prefer not to make it too easy to run Ccleaner, as it could be dangerous - but usually I am the only one using this computer so it has been OK so far.

Again, thanks for the help. If you know anything about Filegoat or WEBSEARCH EXTENSION, I would like to hear about that. 

• Moderators

the version is in the top left corner of CC except when running the trail which takes up that space.

so go to Options > About to see the installed version.

and definitely only get CC from the official Piriform site.

with cookies remaining, there are a lot of variables involved; CC options versus SAS options, normal cookies versus flash cookies, was a browser still open, were cookies flagged to be kept, and the list goes on...

the CC icon in the system tray (bottom right of screen) means you have CC Monitoring turned on.

as to Filegoat, can't help you there, never heard of it.  you'll have to let Google be your friend on that one.  :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 3 weeks later...

I also can't get CCleaner to download on my Windows 10 laptop.  I had it on this machine for 3 years, then tried to update 2 days ago.  When it wouldn't update I deleted it and tried to reload.  Now when I hit download the blue arrow marches down the left side of the screen and disappears instead of downloading.  What's up?