help removing right click context menu options on recycle bin left over from another cleaner program called window washer

nukesgoboom

i love ccleaner and now i use it every day. a long time ago, i used a program called window washer that i have since uninstalled. however, when i right click on my recycle bin, i still have an option called wash with bleach left over from this program that i dont know how to remove.

how can i delete this option from the right click context menu on the recycle bin?

thank you very much for your reply.

i installed the program you linked too, and found the registry key of the window washer utility, and i opened regedit and went to that key and deleted it. however, the option is still there.

the only other solution i can think of is to re-install the program and then try to select 'disable from context menu' and then uninstall it. thats all i can think of.

is there anything else besides that i can try? i know there is some key in the registry that is showing this option.

where are the recycle bin context menu options located in the registry?

Humpty is correct as always :)

First you might want to make a backup of the reg key then remove the Washer entries using a reg fix to save you having to manually edit the registry.

Goto Start Menu > Run > Type (or copy and paste) this into the run box

regedit /e C:\Backup.reg "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}"

Then Press OK, this will create a backup file on C:\Drive named Backup.reg

(To add the information back anytime you can just double click that file or right click and choose Merge, to view the contents just right click and choose Edit)

Next Remove the Washer Key

Open Notepad (Start Menu > Run > Type notepad and Press OK)

Copy and Paste the contents of the code box into Notepad making REGEDIT4 the top line.

REGEDIT4[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\Washer]

Goto File on the top bar and choose Save As, Change the Save As Type to All Files, Name it Fix.reg then save it to your desktop

Double click Fix.reg (or right click and choose Merge) and it will ask if you want to merge the contents into the registry, choose Yes and the specified reg entry will be removed.

No more Right click option for Window Washer :)

Andy

AndyManchesta and humpty, you people are gods amongst mortal insects. that little trick worked perfectly, that option is now gone from my right click menu on the rec. bin.

thank you so much for your wisdom and i hope that you have a wonderful day.

• 2 years later...
Your Welcome :)

I'm glad we could help

I have the same issue, with my Recycle bin, but with VLC software. I would like to remove the text "Add to VLC media player's playlist" and "Play with VLC media player" from the context menu when i right click on Recycle bin icon. I tryed the steps u gave above, but it did not work. That would be nice if u give a suggestion thank you. :mellow:

• Moderators

Hello karukera7.

If you've removed VLC you could install it again, then go through it's options and disable everything, then uninstall it followed by a system restart.

If that fails, or if you don't wish to mess with VLC settings there's a couple of freeware programs that may be of use, especially if you still have VLC installed:

* ShellExView

* ShellMenuView

Hello karukera7.

* ShellExView

* ShellMenuView

Thank you Andavari.

I forgot but there was a little note floating around in my little gray cells that I want to delete something from my Desktop context menu. I have seen the discussion before but at the time didn't appreciate the fact that I could make use of these tools myself in the future.

:) davey

Hello karukera7.

If you've removed VLC you could install it again, then go through it's options and disable everything, then uninstall it followed by a system restart.

If that fails, or if you don't wish to mess with VLC settings there's a couple of freeware programs that may be of use, especially if you still have VLC installed:

* ShellExView

* ShellMenuView

Ok i uninstalled it and reinstalled and it worked thank u

• Moderators
I want to delete something from my Desktop context menu.

I can't remember which one it was I used to disable the Windows Media Player context menu because I get both of them thoroughly confused (maybe they should be combined into one single program). They're both very helpful and useful small portable applications.

Another NirSoft tool I like very much out of the eight I have installed is FileTypesMan which very easily made a file type registry edit work, whereas the normal way I kept hitting a brick wall with WinXP refusing the change.

• 7 years later...

7½ years later… you never know who, down the line, your post might help :).

So in my case I had "Open Temp File Cleaner…" in the Recycle Bin's right-click context menu, and it's been there since I uninstalled that program about 2 years ago (although I never looked into it until today). User "Humpty" provided the essential :  the registry key to zero in on :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder

"Shell Folder" is in red because in my case I had to look around under there a bit ; specifically, I had to go back one level, to just before "ShellFoldler", and proceed down a slightly different branch :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shell\Open Temp File Cleaner...

There were no values or data in the "Open Temp File Cleaner…" key itself, but there was a subkey "command" under it :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\shell\Open Temp File Cleaner...\command

… and under "command" was that app's default execution path under %programfiles%. But all I did was kill the whole "Open Temp File Cleaner…" key and voilà, no more problem :D.

So thx for writing that 7½ years ago :rolleyes:.