Trouble releasing a USB

razz

As you may know from some of my past posts, I use Windows 10 on my laptop.

I am not sure how to best describe my issue, but here goes:  In the past when I plug in a USB stick and when I'm finished with it, I would right-click on the icon in the tray and then click "eject".  Shortly after a little message would pop-up that would inform me that it was now safe to eject the USB.  I gather this is the procedure everyone uses.

My current issue is this: Recently no message appears, even after some time, and I therefore end up just pulling it out.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

• Moderators

I've never bothered with the USB 'eject' for years.

(I just tried it, and I don't get a message in win 10 either, it just shuts the file explorer window if it was open showing the stick).

Normally I just unplug any USB stick when I've finished using it and it's not a problem.

(My old Win 98 PC still doesn't like you doing this though and complains if there was a file open from the stick, but that's all it does).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Try USB Disk Ejector (freeware).

Sometimes end tasking Explorer.exe, and then starting it again will allow for safe removal. Although Win10 rarely in my experience allows for safe removal and you just have to end up pulling the USB device out without knowing if file corruption has happened.

(I just tried it, and I don't get a message in win 10 either, it just shuts the file explorer window if it was open showing the stick).

Normally I just unplug any USB stick when I've finished using it and it's not a problem.

Try USB Disk Ejector (freeware).

Although Win10 rarely in my experience allows for safe removal and you just have to end up pulling the USB device out without knowing if file corruption has happened.

YAY!   :)  Glad to hear it's happening to you guys too.  Andavari, thanks, I'll checkout USB Disk Ejector.

• Moderators

yeah, happens to me as well.

click to 'safely remove hardware' and sometimes the box pops up with "now safe to remove" or most times instead the system tray USB icon just disappears, which I just took for Win10's new way of doing things.

but I see now in the Creator Update and the message is reappearing again.

and for those times when the messages says 'sorry Dave, I cannot do that right now", I usually give it 3 tries then pull the damn thing out anyways.

you can also configure each drives cache buffer via Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Disk Drives, right click your drive, Properties, Policies tab, untick Enable Write Caching.

that way data is always written directly to the device and not stored in Windows cache buffers waiting to be written at some future time.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I usually give it 3 tries then pull the damn thing out anyways.

you can also configure each drives cache buffer via Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Disk Drives, right click your drive, Properties, Policies tab, untick Enable Write Caching.

that way data is always written directly to the device and not stored in Windows cache buffers waiting to be written at some future time.

- Sounds like me - 3 tries and then pull the damn thing out  (probably a little harder than need be)   :D

- Great tip mta, thanks!

• Moderators

I never like to just pull the cord out, especially on my 2TB external hard disk. In the past I've had a ton of files get corrupted just pulling out a USB stick.

One would think after all these years Microsoft would've found a solution for it, guess not.

I never like to just pull the cord out, especially on my 2TB external hard disk. In the past I've had a ton of files get corrupted just pulling out a USB stick.

One would think after all these years Microsoft would've found a solution for it, guess not.

Same here.  Just takes one time to mess things up.

If all else fails, I'll shut down the computer then remove the device. 

Maybe too cautious, but still . . .

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I've had corruption just shutting down with a USB stick, but then again USB sticks have always been Fat32 whereas an external hard disk will have NTFS.

For anyone using a PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 never shutdown those game consoles with USB storage devices plugged in - well at least not with USB sticks (don't know what will happen now that PS4 supports external USB hard disks) because file corruption can happen, and tools on Windows like ChkDsk may not even find anything wrong but you could have a bunch of corrupted MP3s (which will be obvious because they'll have clicking sounds), Videos, Pictures, etc.