ublock users

hazelnut

• Moderators

what's the secret in installing uBO with chromium clones, Slimjet and Opera for example?

auto-update only goes to 1.13.8, manual download only gives .XPI file which is for FF isn't it?, and the chromium.zip file when copied into the chromium browser clone extension folder still leaves UBO on v1.13.8.

what the flock am I missing? :mellow:

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

You have to download uBlock0.chromium.zip from here, and then unzip it mta. Athough I'd personally just wait for it to be officially listed on the Chrome Web Store to avoid any installation issues. Once installed and verified to be working, close your browser and delete the old version.

Example folder structure (using a Chrome clone):

C:\PortableApps\IronPortable\Profile\Default\Extensions\cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm\1.13.8_0

cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm = the extension name or I.D., and has to be there. And the version number has to be present too. Hence the reason to just wait for it to be listed on the Chrome Web Store.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

yeah, I was waiting as this 1.13.8 fiasco has been going on for a while now.

plus, being new to these Chrome clones, I wanted the experience anyway.

I found this on github; https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/tree/master/dist#install which led me the right way.

so I've got 1.14.6 now but will be waiting for the Chrome or Opera Stores to get up to speed one day.

• Moderators

From what I remember messing around with manually installing it last year is if you manually install it automatic updates won't work, since it after all didn't come from the Chrome Web Store. However to get automatic updating to work you'd need to install it from the Chrome Web Store.

• Moderators

yeah, I was figuring that too.

that documentation does say basically, once manual - always manual.

when I see UBO 1.14 or higher in and of the Stores, I'll get it and convert back to automatic.

• Moderators

It just automatically updated the Chrome version in SRWare Iron to 1.14.8 and it works flawless.

Thinking all was well I manually invoked an update in Firefox, that was a mistake! It installed 1.14.4 and it's mostly broken, won't save some settings, always thinks the subscriptions are outdated, etc.. In my case it's the only extension I have installed so it can't be blamed upon any other extensions, however it's probably just broken because of legacy 32-bit so I won't be updating it again in Firefox ESR 32-bit. I ended restoring my profile from a backup I made beforehand.

ublock v1.14.8

gorhill released this

10 days ago

Firefox

There are many reports of people experiencing issues with some web sites, or images not loading, etc. Turns out many of these are a result of using some legacy extensions along uBO/webext. For instance, Reek's AAK in GreaseMonkey has been causing issues with images not loading.

If you experience such issue, you will have to disable all your legacy extensions and see if this fixes your issue. If so, then you will have to re-enable your legacy extension one by one to find the one(s) causing the problem.

If you found that your issue is caused by one or more legacy extensions, there is nothing I can do.

Everything is moving to WebExtensions, so it might be just a good time to start giving up on legacy extensions, they are not going to be supported at all in a couple of weeks when Firefox 57 is released.

Another option is to install uBO 1.13.8 and disable auto-update for it.

There is also an issue specific to webext extensions, which can cause a web page to load improperly: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1396226.

Closed as fixed

Firefox 52 ESR

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 2 weeks later...

ublock v.1.14.10

gorhill released this

9 days ago

Firefox

There are many reports of people experiencing issues with some web sites, or images not loading, etc. Turns out many of these are a result of using some legacy extensions along uBO/webext. For instance, Reek's AAK in GreaseMonkey has been causing issues with images not loading.

If you experience such issue, you will have to disable all your legacy extensions and see if this fixes your issue. If so, then you will have to re-enable your legacy extension one by one to find the one(s) causing the problem.

Those legacy extensions can cause multi-process to be disabled in your browser, and apparently when multi-process is disabled, this can cause many cases of page load failure.

Everything is moving to WebExtensions, so it might be just a good time to start giving up on legacy extensions, they are not going to be supported at all in a couple of weeks when Firefox 57 is released.

There are also Firefox issues specific to webext extensions which can cause a web page to load improperly:

Another option is to install uBO 1.13.8 and disable auto-update for it.

Firefox 52-56 (webext)

Code review-related fix: a test was introduced in #2950, which purpose was meant to punycode only if required for Firefox 52-56. Turns out the regex used in the test was flawed and this caused the punycoding code path to be always taken, meaning a pointless added overhead in network request handlers for when no punycoding is needed. Fixed with 04a41d8.

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 3 weeks later...

ublock v 1.14.12

gorhill released this

a day ago

Firefox WebExtensions

Issues with uBO/webext? If so, then read carefully before filing any issue.

Firefox for Android 56: I have observed that the "Options" button does not appear in about:addons with this version of uBO (while this works fine with Nightly, quite probably because of bugzilla issue 1364945). However, unlike with Firefox for Android 55, uBO's entry in the browser menu is properly shown, so you can access the dashboard through the popup panel.

Changes:

The filter list category Social has been renamed to broader Annoyances.

Changes in selection of stock filter lists:

Added:

• "Adguard Base Filters"
  • "Adguard Spyware Filters" (in "Privacy" section)
  • "Adguard Annoyances" (in "Annoyances" section)
  • "Adguard Spanish/Portuguese" (see #3089)
  • "VIE: ABPVN" (see #2600)

Changed:

• Instruction URLs added for "RUS: RU AdList" and "CHN: CJX's EasyList Lite"
    • So that users can find more about these lists and the recommendations on how to best use them made by their respective maintainers.
  • "RUS: Adguard Russian" and "CHN: CJX's EasyList Lite" will now be selected by default for new installations.

Removed:

• "EasyList without element hiding rules" (not very useful)
  • "Reek's AAK" (no longer maintained)
  • "uBlock Protector List" (it required Chrom[ium|e], uBO must be browser vendor agnostic)
  • "Fanboy Ultimate" (see #3061)
  • "CHN: CJX's Annoyance" (optional list)
  • "EU: Prebake" (no longer maintained)
  • "KOR: Fanboy Korean" (marked as "officially unsupported")
  • "RUS: BitBlock" (see #3019 (comment))
  • "VIE: Fanboy Vietnamese" (marked as "officially unsupported)

For whoever has one of the removed list selected, it will be moved to the "Custom" section (i.e. converted into an imported filter list).

Closed as fixed: Firefox/webext

Core

ublock v1.14.14

gorhill released this

14 hours ago

• 3 weeks later...

ublock v1.14.16

gorhill released this

3 days ago

Firefox WebExtensions

Issues with uBO/webext? If so, then read carefully before filing any issue.

Firefox for Android 56: I have observed that the "Options" button does not appear in about:addons with this version of uBO (while this works fine with Nightly, quite probably because of bugzilla issue 1364945). However, unlike with Firefox for Android 55, uBO's entry in the browser menu is properly shown, so you can access the dashboard through the popup panel.

Closed as fixed: FirefoxCore

• 3 weeks later...

ublock v1.14.18

gorhill released this

a day ago

New

A new setting has been added in the Privacy section of the Settings pane in the dashboard: "Block CSP reports". Default is un-checked. Rationale for this new setting: issue #3150. Documentation for this new setting: Block CSP reports.

Changes

Small improvements to the element picker on touchscreen devices:

• The picker dialog box is now rendered with a minimal width.
  • After you pick an element, if the picker dialog box is...
    • Visible...
      • Swiping right will hide it.
    • Not visible...
      • Swiping left or touching it will un-hide it.
      • Swiping right will quit element picker mode.

Closed as fixed:

Firefox

Core

On 4.9.2017 at 12:43 AM, Andavari said:

With Firefox 52 ESR 32-bit nothing past 1.13.8 is compatible according to the Firefox add-on page - so the incompatibility probably saved me all sorts of problems!

On 9.11.2017 at 7:44 PM, hazelnut said:

Opera add-ons page still only shows 1.14.8 :(

https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/extensions/details/ublock/

i have bad news for you...

origin ublock supports only the current versions of firefox, chrome, safari, internet explorer 11 and microsoft edge.

the current ff esr is supported only as far as it possible. older versions maybe deactivate some features

ie is only supported in "standard mode" - perhaps disable "compatibility view"

ie on xp is not supported because xp is not supported.

perhaps opera is no longer supported...

• Moderators

it still works on Opera, you just have to download it manually and go into Developer Mode in Opera to install it.

that reason, and a couple of my regular sites Opera couldn't handle, was why I have recently ditched Opera, which was a pity, I really liked it.
but I hate having to regularly use multiple browsers to get my stuff done.

• Moderators

@ mta:
Perhaps give Chrome or a Chrome-clone a try. With using a Chrome-clone I haven't ran into any sites where I have to use a different browser, whereas with Firefox it has issues on some sites. Since you have a current OS you'll have IE or Edge to fall back upon too.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:43 AM, Andavari said:

With Firefox 52 ESR 32-bit nothing past 1.13.8 is compatible according to the Firefox add-on page - so the incompatibility probably saved me all sorts of problems!

according to ff add-on page, yes ,nothing past 1.13.8 because they want to list only webext

not to gorhill github page, legacy still supported till latest beta

you need to manually download latest xpi from github page then install

i just found out about this

for automatic update from github, see here https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Firefox-WebExtensions#future-of-ubolegacy

restart first after install ublock0-updater  or you will get the webext from ff add-on page

better create a backup before install update

• Moderators

sadly @Andavari, that's just what I have been doing for the past 3 or more months.

I went back to PaleMoon, over to SlimJet then to Opera for about a month each.

but I have these bloody Dlink IP cameras that (heavens know why) Dlink only supports with Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.
and there are 2 or 3 sites I need to go to that SlimJet and/or Opera wouldn't work properly on (eg: the cart on a site I buy parts from).

to setup those webcams, or change their settings, you have to go to their browser menu pages, if I had known that I would have tried other makes/models.

long story short, I'm back on FF (actually can't remember why I left but I think ironically it was due to UBO and the FF webext changes)
a hell of a lot of sites, I try anyway, no longer like IE and I simply can't bring myself to use Edge (I know, I know, I should, after all I now use Defender and I never thought I'd be doing that):)

And I have an unexplainable suspicion of all things Google, so Chrome would need some really strong mo-jo to get me to convert.

i have ff, iron and qupzilla and for trying things opera

my favs are ff and iron

• 2 weeks later...

hello fans,

i must correct myself:

as i read -> opera is a chromium clone so the extension should normaly work...

ublock v1.14.20

gorhill released this

10 hours ago

Changes

The filter list "AAK-Cont Filters For uBlock Origin" has been removed from stock filter lists, it is no longer maintained. See #3241. Note that uBO is equipped to deal with anti-blockers, it's just a matter of users reporting instances to volunteer maintainers. Everybody is welcomed to assist in finding solutions to reported filter issues.

The DOM inspector has been improved a bit to make it more usable (see #407). Some refactoring was necessary to move forward this part, and as a result the DOM inspector is currently not available on legacy Firefox. This will be addressed only as time allow. Note that I still consider the DOM inspector to be work in progress. In case you wonder, the DOM inspector is the best way to visualize the effects of cosmetic filters on a page and to create exception cosmetic filters.

The semantic of the no-csp-reports switch has been changed from "block CSP reports from" to "block CSP reports to". This does not change the behavior of the "Block CSP reports" setting. This change of semantic makes sense, and this also removes an incompatibility with NoScript 10 (see #3260).

Accepted pull requests:

Closed as fixed:

Firefox

Core

• Moderators

I don't know if anyone else does it but in 3rd party filters I tick Adguards Annoyances list. This stops that message you get when you go to a new site which says ''on this site we use cookies etc etc agree, disagree or learn more''

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

yeah, discovered that a few months ago when suddenly I started to get Got It! blue button, bottom right in FF on some sites (EU ones I think)