Ccleaner for Mac under macOS does not run: Unsupported OS

DanEps

• Moderators

Perhaps be a lot more specific.

First what version of OSX? What version of Ccleaner (don't say latest, that means nothing, give a version number)

Did you get ccleaner from piriform?

Did you make sure you downloaded the Mac version and not the PC one?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Perhaps be a lot more specific. First what version of OSX? What version of Ccleaner (don't say latest, that means nothing, give a version number) Did you get ccleaner from piriform? Did you make sure you downloaded the Mac version and not the PC one?

Thanks for your repoly.  HOWEVER:

OK but I DID say which version of the OS, it i called macOS (see my title).   ccleaner version:  1.13.442 (latest) downloaded from pirform.  Yes the mac version.

This kind of response involving a poor reading of the initial thread wastes time and effort.

Just to clarify if it was not obvious:  this is a NEW version of the OS (in beta) and I assume ccleaner will eventually support macOS but currently it does not -- nothing surprising here.  Maybe there is a workaround or maybe this message will alert the Pirform folks that their great product needs a tweak to support macOS.

• Moderators

MacOS is not a version. It is the brand of Operating System, version would be (for instance) 10.11 "El Capitan"

See release history

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X

If you instead mean macOS 10.12 "Sierra". Piriform does not support beta operating systems (especially this early in their lifecycle, it has literally been out 3 days), you will need to late til it is released (and likely a little longer after that)

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I may have a similar problem.  My Mac is Osx 10.6.8 (I cannot upgrade to El Capitan - when I have twice tried, the installation froze, and I had to reinstall from a Time Machine Backup).  I have used CCleaner religiously and love it, but with the latest version, downloaded numerous times (with numerous reboots of the operating system), it doesn't launch.  When clicking on the application, it first appears in the dock for a few seconds, then disappears before it can run.  This happens repeatedly, with the latest version downloaded from Piriform and older versions of ccleaner (also from your site).  Perhaps I did something to mess it up, but I don't recall anything unusual.

- Nat

• Admin

Hello everyone!

The latest OSX in beta is not supported by CCleaner Mac - it will be announced in the release notes when this becomes available.

npernickcc - Can you please try this version of CCleaner Mac for me and let me know if it works? http://filehippo.com/mac/download_ccleaner_for_mac/download/dd15f4041412aac42fc7df7de05ad8be/

• Moderators
Tom Piriform - Link did not work.

I am running macOS Sierra in beta v10.12 (16A254g)

I would welcome running any Cleaner beta for testing with Sierra.

Thanks in advance

Why would it have, as he said there is no current support for Sierra, there likely will be when it is not beta.

• Moderators

Tom Piriform - Link did not work.

I am running macOS Sierra in beta v10.12 (16A254g)

I would welcome running any Cleaner beta for testing with Sierra.

Thanks in advance

I'm sure the devs will appreciate your offer although I've no idea as to whether they'll take you up on it.

Thanks all the same.

:)

• Moderators

@jlanky,

a belated welcome to the Forums.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@mta - Thanks for welcome.

@DennisD - Thanks for the feedback. I've beta tested El Capitan v1-5 and now Sierra. CC worked great for all versions before Sierra. Don't mind testing anything for the betterment of all, That's what I do - My full time gig is a Senior IT Business Analyst for an automotive supplier here in the states.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hello all, I have the latest regular MacOS - El Capitan 10.11.6, but I get the unsupported comment when I try to run the application. Is CC working for my Mac or not???? thanks

From the CCleaner for Mac support pages ...

CCleaner for Mac system requirements

Currently, CCleaner for Mac requires an Apple Mac running 64-bit OS X 10.6 to 10.10 Yosemite.

* Please note that Macs with a PowerPC processor or 32-bit OS will NOT be able to run CCleaner *

http://www.piriform.com/support/ccleaner#mac

... hope that helps.

I'd be willing to partake in a beta for CCleaner on MacOS Sierra Beta as well. 

We appreciate that, and I'm sure the devs will take you up on that should they require beta testers (or more beta testers), so thank you for the kind offer.

Welcome to the forum to both of you by the way.  :)

Edited by DennisD
Added Mac link.

• Moderators

it says that it will go up to El Capitan,

Mmmm, it certainly does, and I have no idea why the two different OS requirements posted on the different locations.

As this is a predominantly Windows forum it would have to be input from the devs, so I will ask the question for you, and see what comes of it. That's the best I can do for now, so watch this space.

Mmmm, it certainly does, and I have no idea why the two different OS requirements posted on the different locations.

As this is a predominantly Windows forum it would have to be input from the devs, so I will ask the question for you, and see what comes of it. That's the best I can do for now, so watch this space.

Roger that, thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your repoly.  HOWEVER:

OK but I DID say which version of the OS, it i called macOS (see my title).   ccleaner version:  1.13.442 (latest) downloaded from pirform.  Yes the mac version.

This kind of response involving a poor reading of the initial thread wastes time and effort.

Just to clarify if it was not obvious:  this is a NEW version of the OS (in beta) and I assume ccleaner will eventually support macOS but currently it does not -- nothing surprising here.  Maybe there is a workaround or maybe this message will alert the Pirform folks that their great product needs a tweak to support macOS.

For what its worth,  I too wish that Piriform was more pro-active in their beta development for new releases of macOS and future versions.   Being an early adopter and and long time user of CCleaner (MAC & Windows), it's like losing an arm when you cannot use what I consider to be the most important application on my system.  I realize its a choice I've made, but I've made that choice because it's important to my business to stay on top of the newer technologies for the benefit of my customers.  The majority of the utilities I use have had newer versions available for testing under macOS Sierra for weeks and now that we are on the 7th release of the macOS Sierra, I don't think its an unrealistic expectation to have a version of CCleaner available for BETA.  

I encourage them to create an Early Adopters BETA program where nightly versions can be downloaded and tested and only benefits them, having such a vibrant community of people willing to take part in helping them continue their role as the #1 utility for both MAC & Windows.

David