Android v 6.0 Marshmallow problems

dbi

Having upgraded my HTC OneM9 to this new version, a message comes up on CCleaner as follows - "Due to restrictions in this version of Android, Cache and Processes can only be cleaned manually,"  First, if these restrictions are permanent, I don't see a great deal of point in using CCleaner.  Second HELP! How do you clean these manually?

David

• 6 months later...

I COMPLETELY agree with David. The #1 reason I use CCleaner on Android is to kill stray running processes. I'd like it even better if it allowed you to see which running processes there are, and let you pick-and-choose. The fact that it is unable to do this is a BIG DEAL to me... Is this functionality that might be added later (with some additional permission grant)? Or is it that this functionality is now entirely blocked and can simply not be added?

Also, as David asked... is there a link somewhere to how to do this manually?

THANK YOU FOR A GREAT PRODUCT! I hope this can be resolved with some future update.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum both of you.

Someone beat you to it with the question   :) ...

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=46916&do=findComment&comment=275926

Further to my comments there, all I can say is that as far as CCleaner is concerned, Android is like any operating system in that an upgrade usually means that CCleaner will have to update to accommodate the changes.

An update is in the pipeline, so the changes, I assume, are being worked on.

At least CCleaner is configured to still run albeit with a message stipulating it's limitations with the new Android version.

If you want to clean manually, try going into "Settings/Apps" and you should have a list of apps under various headings ie Installed, Running, All etc. Click on the app you want to clean and the resultant page usually gives you an option to "Clear Cache".

Menus may differ slightly from phone to phone, I've no idea, but the above works with mine.

But, be careful what you clean goes without saying really, as there's usually an option to also clear data. Not a good idea if you don't know what that data is.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

On my Nexus 7 there is the message as listed above that basically states I need to clear the Cache of some of my apps as the OS Android 6.01 is stopping CCleaner from doing it.

My Moto "G" phone on the other hand running Android 5.1 states that I need to manually clean/clear the cache three nominated Apps. SMS, Chrome & You Tube.

To manually clean/clear the cache is no big deal and as DennisD says be careful when it comes to "clear data"

In both cases I am using CCleaner v1.16.62 Pro - Nice that the Pro version includes a scheduler. 

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"