CCleaner v5.24

Grizzly

Hello!

I just installed the new version 5.24 and I noticed that the bugs concerning Internet Explorer have not been fixed.I mean i cant see the cookies when the Internet Explorer page is open nor do a cleaning of Temporary Internet Files...like i was able to do in the last version...Problems started from v5.22...As a fix for now i will still stick with the version 5.20 who works.

I was hoping v24 will bring a fix...but i guess I will have to wait for the next version to test this funtionality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike

• Admin
Hi, thanks for your comments. We recently had to make these changes to CCleaner because of changes that Microsoft have made to the way that IE stores data. The data that you're trying to clean is now saved in a database similar to Edge which cannot be cleaned while IE has access to it.

Reverting to an older version of CCleaner like 5.19 will only resolve the issue if you're using an older version of Windows and IE, however if you're running the latest version of these, CCleaner will not clean IE correctly and will not warn the user of this.

This does mean that for the current and future versions of CCleaner, IE will need to be closed to be cleaned. We understand that this may be frustrating for some users but unfortunately this is our of our control.

Thanks! :)

I downloaded CCleaner 5.24 to update from v5.22 running on Windows 10 Insider Preview version 1607 (OS Build 14955.1000). I get an error message as follows:

This app can't run on your PC

To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.

Version 5.22 runs OK but I can't install v5.23 either. Same error message. :(

Hi, thanks for your comments. We recently had to make these changes to CCleaner because of changes that Microsoft have made to the way that IE stores data. The data that you're trying to clean is now saved in a database similar to Edge which cannot be cleaned while IE has access to it.

Reverting to an older version of CCleaner like 5.19 will only resolve the issue if you're using an older version of Windows and IE, however if you're running the latest version of these, CCleaner will not clean IE correctly and will not warn the user of this.

This does mean that for the current and future versions of CCleaner, IE will need to be closed to be cleaned. We understand that this may be frustrating for some users but unfortunately this is our of our control.

Thank you for your reply...although what you said is not enterely true...meaning that this is happening in a Windows 7 enviroment and also on my laptop which has the Windows 10 Pro...cookies and temporary internet files cleaning are working good with v20 and below...but not with v.22 and above...

Also the version of Internet Explorer is 11...the latest in Windows 10 and 7...I am not talking about Edge...so I dont know how the database you describe can affect a Windows 7 with the same IE 11 i used most of the time...

I agree its out of your control for EDGE..because of the database....but you can tell developers to leave the cleaning as it was in v20 for IE 11...as this is really really frustrating to close IE each time.

Thank you!

Hi Tom,

The screen displayed what I put in my post. However, I looked at the Event Viewer logfiles and in the Security log I found the following:

Log Name:      Security
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
Date:          Tue 15.11.16 17:24:53
Event ID:      5038
Task Category: System Integrity
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Audit Failure
User:          N/A
Computer:      HP-G70
Description:
Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid.  The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name:    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\mssecflt.sys    
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" Guid="{54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}" />
    <EventID>5038</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>0</Level>
    <Task>12290</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8010000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-11-15T17:24:53.656212100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1200</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="5516" />
    <Channel>Security</Channel>
    <Computer>HP-G70</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\drivers\mssecflt.sys</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Hope that means more to you than it does to me!  :)

(Log times are UK GMT)

Cheers,

Chris

As I am on Win7 and IE this should not be necessary. Perhaps you should have a separate version for win 10

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Exactly my point too MikeW....if Microsoft have changed databases for Internet Explorer....this still doesnt explain why the version 5.20 still works and cleans without a problem...no matter if on Windows 7 or on Windows 10...also letting you watch the cookies without closing IE.

Thank you!

I don't think anything has improved. There's another issue that I've noticed that was certainly prevalent with 5.23 and I'll need to check with 5.22 (going back again), and that's when I want to look at what cookies are on the system after doing a clean, I have to force IE11 to close even though it's closed and then I see a screen full of cookies that haven't been cleaned. CCleaner isn't clearing any cookies by the looks of it until IE11 is fully closed by CCleaner and whatever else (Edge? -which I don't use). I'd love to go back to a much earlier version where there didn't appear to be any issues (though who knows what problems the latest Windows updates created).

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
http://australianimage.com.au/wordpress/

• Moderators

I'd love to go back to a much earlier version where there didn't appear to be any issues (though who knows what problems the latest Windows updates created).

Older versions are listed on the right-hand side of the page

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

OK, back to 5.22. Ran CCleaner and then closed IE11. Received the same forced closure message when wanting to look at the cookie jar, but the cookie jar is empty. So 'Something is crook in Tallarook' (a small town in Victoria, Australia, that has suffered this saying for a long time). Anyway, things are not as crook in Tallarook as they are at the Cleaner Factory.

• Admin

Morning everyone.

The the latest version of CCleaner will force IE to close to be cleaned regardless of what operating system you're using, because it has to do this to effectively clean both IE 10 and IE 11.

You can revert back to and older version however this will not be able to completely clean IE, although the program will give the impression that it has - even if you're running Windows 7. The latest version of CCleaner provides much more in depth cleaning but requires the application to be closed.

Both Edge and IE (regardless of the OS that they're installed on) use the same data storage techniques which require them to be closed to be effectively cleaned. This means that even if we had separate versions for Windows 10 and 7, they would be exactly the same.

No, it doesn't do that. I can run CCleaner using 5.22, 5.23 or 5.24 without closing IE11 and it doesn't ask for it to be closed. It only does that when I want to view cookies. So effectively, CCleaner is simply giving the impression that it's cleaning when in fact it's not.

I've got a Windows 7 32 bit laptop and CCCleaner is pretty useless on it now - unless you want to wait ten minutes while it tries to do something with IE.  I've tried going back to 5.22 but that was no different.  5.24 installed last night was the same.  It's a shame that constant "updates" seem to have ruined the program.  

Just installed v5.24 and the IE cookie issue is not fixed. First time running the app, all the cookies I have selected to keep are still in the cookie folder. However, IE will not recognize them. I need to re-sign in to all sites, whereupon a new cookie is added to the folder. Running Ccleaner again deleted everything in the cookie folder including the new cookies. Re-importing all the desired cookies just repeats the same scenario. I did make sure that IE was not running at the time. Furthermore, all IE history was deleted as well, which is something I have not selected to happen. I do like to keep 30 days history as I often use this to return to previous sites. Now I have lost all reference to visited websites. (The drop down history is not affected.) and before someone suggests system restore - NO this does not restore IE history. This is the same issue I had with v5.23. Once again I have re-installed v5.22 which does perform as expected. Am I to assume that Ccleaner is no longer compatible with Windows 7 and IE 11?

Don't see a way to attach files to this post but, I can copy/paste the ccleaner.ini file if that would be helpful.

Edited by jopa66

I also noticed that CCleaner isn't cleaning the Windows Defender temp files folder:

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=47339

I don't know if this is CCleaner version related (I am running the latest 5.24) but since I've been running CCleaner ever since installing Win7 (over 6 years ago) I doubt it has anything to do with v5.24 problems.

another 5.24? are there a new notes?

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Those with any outstanding issues try re-downloading 5.24 and installing it over the top as I believe Piriform may have done a small patch on the build today.

Think I'm gonna wait and see. How can such a great program become so unreliable?

Tom,

I tried the revised version of 5.24 (8376 kB) that you mentioned earlier and it failed to install on Win 10 Home Insider Preview 1607 build 14955.1000 (yes, I know it's not supported but this is the next Win 10 version in development, fast track release and the info might be useful to you.)

First I got a pop-up saying:

Windows protected your PC

Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised application from starting. Running this application might put your PC at risk.

More info

Application:

C:\Users\User\Downloads\ccsetup524.exe

Publisher: 

GB, London, London, Piriform Ltd, Piriform Ltd

Run anyway Don't run

When I clicked on Run Anyway and gave the OK to the next screen, I got another error:

NSIS Error

Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media.Contact the installer's owner to obtain a new copy.

More information at http://nsis.sf.net?NSIS_Error

I tried again with a freshly downloaded version and got the same result.

CCleaner v5.22 still installs OK.

Chris

Hello eveybody,

I can confirm that CCleaner 5.23 & 5.24 does not work properly with IE 11 on WIN 7 x64 :
1) you have to close IE 11 (but for me that's a minor problem)
2) it takes a very long time to clean (very frustrating)
3) 5.23 & 5.24 treats & attacks AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows>WebCache in a very bad manner (5.24 even destroys it, so you have to create new cookies for your beloved & trusted websites), it even creates critical eventlogs in the Windows event log viewer
4) 5.24 also treats IE history -files in such a bad manner that it also creates a critical eventlog

To Tom from Piriform (Admin) : it makes no use and definitely no solution to keep referring to Microsoft : everybody (I work in the IT-department of a major bank in Belgium) knows that Edge & Windows 10 is something completely different than the combination IE 11 & Windows 7 x 64 (apart from commercial reasons, there is a development-reason that Microsoft does not disclose Edge for Win7 !!)
If CCl 5.22 works great with Win7 & IE 11, please make the necessary steps to your developpers that 5.23 & 5.24 keeps on doing so, even if it takes a separate version for Win7. I also downgraded and fall back to the great CCleaner 5.22 while waiting for a proper solution.
Thanks from a CCleaner-addict :)

The latest version will not clean any cookies until you close IE, even then, it sometimes goes through a cycle asking you to close IE after it has been closed. You need to click Options/Cookies to see if cookies have actually been removed, and unless the former has been done, cookies are not removed.

This is with Windows 10 x64. If it's now a Microsoft problem, then what's the point of CCleaner?

I have Windows 10, 64bit, a clean reinstall done in October on an 11 month old Acer Aspire V.  It's a Generic copy of Windows 10 installed by Curry's Pc World repair team when they replaced the  motherboard, and the computer doesn't actually know it's an Acer any longer as a result, neither does Acer recognise my pc or allow me to download Acer software now.   

I use Edge and IE.  I have the free version of CCleaner (which I've used for years on various different pcs) and I have version 5.24, updated yet again ten minutes ago.

I have always used CCleaner when I close down for the night, so my browsers are closed before I start up CCleaner.  I'm not worried about having to close them first.  However, with this latest version CCleaner warns me as usual that Edge needs to be closed to clean it, so I click yes, and then it repeats the question. I click Yes again and it runs the cleaner but it states clearly that both Edge and IE have been skipped.  It doesn't even pretend to have cleaned.  Even if I use Task Manager to close my browsers CCleaner still says they aren't closed and cannot be cleaned.

I have skipped the analysis for years and just run the cleaner.  With the issues now I decided to run analysis first, and it shows all the cache and temporary files, but clearly states "skipped" when it comes to cookies.  So that is one problem.  It can't touch cookies any longer.

When you actually run the cleaner it cannot even clean temporary files because so far as CCleaner is concerned no matter what YOU think - your browser is NOT closed.  And it won't work on an open browser.  This is presumably the result of Microsoft's changes

I've had to use Edge's own cleaner and the one built into IE, but during analysis CCleaner doesn't think that has worked either.  The temporary files are still there, and the cookies too, building up and apparently irradicable.