Microsoft Edge

Hello,

Today when I ran CCleaner Professional, I got a message "CCleaner needs to close Microsoft Edge to clean internal files.  Do you want CCleaner to close Microsoft Edge?"  I clicked Yes and the same message popped up again and I clicked Yes again.  When CCleaner ran, it noted Skipped for all Microsoft Edge fields.  I opened a new session and got the same result.  Edge was closed before I opened CCleaner.  This happened with CCleaner Free version so I upgraded to Professional.  I've been using CCleaner for several years.  Please help.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I found...and this combination works for me:

In Win 10, go to Internet Options -- either via Control Panel or Cortana, and delete browsing history and temporary files, remember  to tick "delete browsing history on exit" under Browsing history.  Then run CCleaner and Edge will be cleared without skipping any files.

Go to Settings -> Privacy -> Background Apps and Turn Microsoft Edge off and reboot. I did so and now CCleaner removes temp files that Edge uses, and kills the running process that CCleaner doesn't stop and thus, skips.

Open CCleaner and run it.
After it finishes and you see the skipped items....
Click on Options
Click on Cookies
It will tell you something is open and do you want to force a close?
Say yes
Go back and run the cleaner again and it won't skip it.

• 1 month later...

I've tried every suggestion here and several on google search (lots of people with same problem) and its still ongoing. I'm trying the free trial upgrade pro (latest version) I just thought it might solve the problem but alas no. I wanted to have the pro after some time on the free version  (which is great) but now I'm put off by this problem. Windows 10 seems to have a mind of its own, that edge just does not want to close.    The funny thing is I don't use it I prefer Google or Mozilla  no problems there.