Registry Cleaner Broke My computer

martinuk5

I have used ccleaner for ages now and used it on a number of computers as i am an IT technician. When i went over a friends, i used ccleaner first then the reg cleaner.

He then phones me up that the internet wont work, IE doesnt work, and cant download anything. Said that it was the registry.

After doing a system restore there was still a problem and then it just went into a loop and wont boot at all.

Is the registry cleaner safe to use?

This is the first time that i have had a problem with it, as the computer was fine before i used the program.

I have used ccleaner for ages now and used it on a number of computers as i am an IT technician. When i went over a friends, i used ccleaner first then the reg cleaner.

He then phones me up that the internet wont work, IE doesnt work, and cant download anything. Said that it was the registry.

After doing a system restore there was still a problem and then it just went into a loop and wont boot at all.

Is the registry cleaner safe to use?

This is the first time that i have had a problem with it, as the computer was fine before i used the program.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If it is down to a deleted registry entry then being a IT technician i hope you would of/have made a back before fixing?

"Is the registry cleaner safe to use?" You should know that deleting an entry can cause issues. Registry cleaning can never be deemed 100% safe to do so. It's always strongly advised that before you delete entrys you should look and know what each one is and be sure it is safe to remove.

CCleaner is the safest registry cleaner on the internet. It is very non agresive. I would suggest using a program in the future called ERUNT. makes a registry backup on system startup.

Can you get into safe mode?

Finally can i ask why was you registry cleaning on a friends computer?

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

The registry cleaner CCleaner has is typically safe, however with each computer being different there's always a possibility of an issue.

What you've described almost sounds like some malware issue, where perhaps CCleaner has deleted some malware from a temp folder or browser cache and all of a sudden major issues are happening as if wasn't properly removed.

To rule out any possible malware follow this topic as best as possible:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

• Moderators

When doing registry cleaning (with ccleaner or any program or even manually) follow the advice in my signature

please note ccleaner is a gentle registry cleaner but it's still important to do backups and to do it in small bits

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I am aware of permissions issues that may affect the ability of Windows to use a valid *.reg backup file.

That should NOT apply to System Restore.

When System Restore is performed it should restore system files and not affect user files,

but XP has no clue which is what when it comes to the Firefox cache so it always leaves me with two, one of which is named cache(2)

System Restore ALSO includes a snapshot folder which has a copy of the registry.

No matter how badly any registry cleaner may damage the registry,

if the system is still able to do a system restore I think the registry should be as good as the day the snapshot was taken.

I think that System Restore should be that good, but sometimes Windows does fail.

I have more confidence in ERUNT that it will do the job right, even when Windows cannot boot.

Alan

• 5 years later...
  • Moderators

Yes, this "amazing" piece of software completely wrecked my windows with the last scan. GOOD JOB!!! AMAZING BACKSTABBING JOB!!! I'm not even going to bother asking your stupid useless questions, your software is crap.

Sorry you had problems.

Hope your life gets better soon :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Yes, this "amazing" piece of software completely wrecked my windows with the last scan. GOOD JOB!!! AMAZING BACKSTABBING JOB!!! I'm not even going to bother asking your stupid useless questions, your software is crap.

Or it could be that you are a rash actor and didn't take the time to actually look at what you are removing with, what is considered throughout the internet as, one of the most gentle registry cleaners made; heavens forbid that you try to use some of the competitors and see how wrecked a pc really can get from not using registry cleaning best practices.

Read my signature, then, if you can calm down a bit, actually describe what occurred, what you removed, whether you took the backup advice that ccleaner presented you.

Please include your windows version, the version number of ccleaner and any other needed items.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com