Slim version?

AliceZ

My grandson installed the CC on our new Win10 computer, but he doesn't remember which one. How can we tell if he installed the Slim version? Is there any place on the CC we can click to make sure it is the slim version?

• Moderators

Slim only refers to the installer. It only means that the bundled wares (Google Chrome or Toolbar, or some VPN software iirc) aren't in the installer.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Slim only refers to the installer. It only means that the bundled wares (Google Chrome or Toolbar, or some VPN software iirc) aren't in the installer.

How can I tell I am using the SLIM version?

• Moderators

Version of installer? I believe it's in the name of the installer.

As I said, in the program (ccleaner) there's no slim vs. Non-slim

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators
You could always just download the latest slim build (which is now available) and install over the top

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

But what would be the point, if the newest ccleaner is already installed (spoiler....none :P )

So from looking at the Slim and the others there is no way to tell which is the Slim, etc.?

The others wouldn't have different toolbar or Google (or something like that) installed with them? They would look exactly the same.

We always used the Slim because we didn't want to install something we didn't want or didn't know about.

We are computer illiterate.

Before you install it you can tell by the file name, or by your download selection in Hazelnut's link. 

After it is installed you can't tell by running the program, but if you didn't install any of the bundled offers it doesn't matter. 

Or, if you did install them and wanted them it likewise doesn't matter. 

Edit: 

This one is or the "What was I thinking" list . . . :P 

If the installer file is still on your computer you can tell by the file name. 

- The regular Installer is ccsetup520.exe
- CCleaner portable is ccsetup520.zip
- CCleaner Slim is ccsetup520_slim.exe

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Thanks. So there is no way to tell if the "bundled wares (Google Chrome or Toolbar, or some VPN software iirc)" were or weren't installed?

it's not like they are malware, they are normal programs which, if accidentally installed, can be removed in the normal way (control panel/Win10 app-settings screen/ccleaner uninstall section

• 7 months later...

I saw somewhere that the slim version is only available after the addons have been taken out. This makes it unusable for me. I need something with a consistent url. It seems that as soon as the new CCleaner comes out, the old slim version is not available anymore... So if someone wanted to install CCleaner in the days between the release of the new CCleaner and the release of the slim version they have two options - wait for the slim version or install the clunky one.

Would it be possible to leave the old slim version until the new slim version is released? Even better have a ccsetupslimx.x.exe url rather than one that is for every version.

• Moderators

The non-slim provides the funds to pay for the slim. The portable also comes the day of the google-supported installer. I think the developers give plenty enough toward opt-out of google installer

NOTE: For those of you who use MB 3.0 (Malwarebytes 3.0), Malwarebytes has upped their aggressiveness on PUP's and PUM's. (Potnetially Unwanted Programs - PUP and Potentially Unwanted modifications - PUM) Which goes directly to the Ccleaner installer version, slim or full. What this means is, with their new attack policy, any software that has additional software that is being slipped into the install with out the users knowledge or lack there of, will be flagged as a "malicious" software and not allowed to be installed. Point in case; Auslogics disk defragger. 

So Ccleaner could be at risk if Piriform is adding in software into the installer, other than Ccleaner itself, from Malwarebytes 3.0. 

• Moderators

Point in case; Auslogics disk defragger. 

So Ccleaner could be at risk if Piriform is adding in software into the installer, other than Ccleaner itself, from Malwarebytes 3.0. 

Yes they flag Auslogics Disk Defrag, even the portable version is flagged however it's clean and doesn't include all the rubbish the install version has in it - I use the portable version therefore I know when MB flags it it's complete B.S.

ESET has been flagging the CCleaner Standard installer for years as containing a PUP. However PUP doesn't always necessarily mean malware.

What Malwarebytes or any anti-malware/anti-virus company flag in installers I seriously doubt won't persuade another developer one bit. Piriform is like everyone else they have to eat, pay rent, etc., and the majority of users they have are probably using the free version so hence the Standard installer with the included Google third-party software embedded helps pay a little (probably not allot) for the software being kept available for free.

Remember they don't have to offer anything for free, they could've just as easily made their software 100% commercial needing to be purchased but they didn't go that route, thankfully.

Edited by Andavari

Totally agree.....

My issue is; when they add these hidden (LOL) gems in the installer and it gets flagged. I doesn't get installed. I for one love the disk defragger from Asulogic and used it for a lot of years. Now I can't....which is a PITA. So now I have been forced to use something else. So I opted for Piriform's defragger. It's not to bad. 

• Moderators

You can still use that defrag software, you just need to input an exclusion into Malwarebytes when it detects it (usually accomplished by unticking the box that would remove it then MB gives the option to ignore it) - it's really simple to do and then it will stop detecting it altogether.