CCleaner sees my C and D drives as SSD but both are HDD.

mpw101

CCleaner sees my C and D drives as SSD but both are HDD.  The hardware is WDC WD10EZEX-60ZF5A0 80.00A80 per Device Manager.  I have a Windows 7 sp1 64 bit desktop computer - HP p6-2220t.  Windows automatically defrags both so I’m really sure both are HDD.

I found a brief discussion of this problem in this forum from 2014 but no resolution or plan to resolve the problem. 

I am using CCleaner 5.33.6162 (64-bit).  I have never used the tool to wipe free space and was thinking of doing it when I noticed this.  I just use normal file deletion and once a month when I am using financial records I use secure file deletion with simple overwrite.

I have not had any problems but am interested in why CCleaner sees my drives as SSDs and if there is something I can do at my end.  If I wanted to wipe free space would I be able to do it.

post-37258-0-70481100-1504580227_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

as you say, this has been around for while.

why it can't be rectified can only be guessed at, there's been no word from the Admins except for a few months ago when a 'manual override' switch was being discussed, but no further update on that front.

the detection of HDD as SSD and vice-versa comes and goes with the different CC versions (as well as Defraggler).

I've had my SSD wrongly and rightly detected. (currently correctly in CC but wrong in DF)

and yes, you'll still be able to wipe free space.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...