Avira - HKCR\{80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79}

niski

Hey folks,

I'm a Pirform newbie. I wanted to post this quickly because I have to finish my laundry. I'll provide some personal info later.

Re: HKCR\{80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79}. It looks like the topic is alive over at Avira forum: http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?langid=1 Check out the Avira Personal for Windows thread posts for this week. I have the same problem. Avira seems a little shy about discussing it. Forgive me if the above - and the following - are redundant: If you have XP Pro here's a link to learn how to disable the Avira pop-up window we all love using the Group Policy Editor in XP Pro:**link to site removed by moderator **I don't know if it can be done on XP Home. I don't love Microsoft but I'm Glad I upgraded to Pro before my head exploded. I followed the instructions and it works. I think I'll make some more rules in there while I'm at it, but take heed: The wise-ones caution us that the Group Policy Editor must be respected, so be careful ;)

P.S.: Love the quick edit! Very clean and fast forum interface. Nice work.

C ya

• Moderators

As regards this HKCR\{80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79} please see here

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=21261&s

The other link you posted has been removed as it is not really allowed to post info on how to modify a legitimate program.

(Although there is nothing to stop anyone using Google!!)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

As regards this HKCR\{80b8c23c-16e0-4cd8-bbc3-cecec9a78b79} please see here

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=21261&s

The other link you posted has been removed as it is not really allowed to post info on how to modify a legitimate program.

(Although there is nothing to stop anyone using Google!!)

hazelnut,

Thanks for the warning wrapped in irony:) I'll be more careful about posting links and ask first if I'm not sure. Seems this registry entry is getting good play over at Avira. CCleaner is right in the mix. The Group Policy rule really does work. No more pop-up ad. I guess this trick has been known for some time. Good news for the pop-up but I'm not convinced the registry entry should be taken as lightly. Ye olde Prussian arrogance seems to flash at times over there.

These next few days I'll have more time to swim through Piriform forum and others to see if this thing is as critical as it seems.

My anti-virus protection is currently: AVZ Antiviral Toolkit & ClamWin. AVZ is not very well known to some users but it's a comprehensive

no BS system tool with access to all important Windows systems. It was recomended to me by a trusted tech and in his words "She isn't pretty but she can dance." ClamWin has very accurate detection with a minimum of false positives.

Cheers

I realise care is needed about what's posted here, but to provide some information for anyone unfamiliar with Windows Group Policy and may be thinking of using it ...

... GP is all about controlling privilege, access and behaviour for user accounts and processes. It cannot modify any other program. It can only influence its behaviour, like so many tools that we all use. So using GPO is a perfectly legitimate tool ... otherwise even more people would be suing Micro$oft ;)

GP is frequently applied in a corporate environment to enforce tightly control over the users' access to Windows features.

The features available to XP Pro users (GP Editor is not available in XP Home) are a tiny subset of those available to computers that are part of a domain (e.g. corporate environment) but they can still be quite useful.

I realise care is needed about what's posted here, but to provide some information for anyone unfamiliar with Windows Group Policy and may be thinking of using it ...

... GP is all about controlling privilege, access and behaviour for user accounts and processes. It cannot modify any other program. It can only influence its behavior, like so many tools that we all use. So using GPO is a perfectly legitimate tool ... otherwise even more people would be suing Micro$oft ;)

GP is frequently applied in a corporate environment to enforce tightly control over the users' access to Windows features.

The features available to XP Pro users (GP Editor is not available in XP Home) are a tiny subset of those available to computers that are part of a domain (e.g. corporate environment) but they can still be quite useful.

marmite,

Thanks for the reply. Care will be taken. :)

I think I erred in another sense by offering advice about using GP when my experience with it is limited to interface tweaks and a few IP restrictions. Apologies to seasoned members who roll their eyes at newbie enthusiasm. One should refrain from offering advice that isn't based on direct personal experience, no matter what the source.

Re: Avira

I'm switching back to Avast! Avira seems to be jumping the rail with the latest release.

Too many unresolved critical problems, and dubious avnotify.exe behavior.

Re: CCleaner

I've been using it for years without major issues. The HD wipe and MFT defrag is working fine. How boring.

I'm going to try Defraggler tonight. MyDefrag is my preference but Defraggler seems to be firmly based on safe Windows defrag method. Having a GUI for selective defrag is very nice.

Best Reguards,

niski