Duplicate files keep only newest (or oldest, etc.)

eyas

The tool for finding duplicate files in CCleaner is amazing, although it could be even better with some extra features. Now, when I have found my duplicates (in my case > 15.000), I have to export the results to a text file and do the file manipulations with a seperate script. Sometimes, I have > 5 copies of the same file and I would like to keep only the first or last copy. Now, I would have to manually check > 10.000 checkboxes to achieve this within CCleaner. It would be really cool if there were options like 'check all but newest for each found duplicate'.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a total newbie to this forum and somewhat computer challenged. Just saying.

I love CCleaner, and the tools section in the program.  I found out I have over 14,304 MB of pictures on my laptop.  Found that most of them are duplicates, but in different folders.  I would like to "merge" all the duplicates.  Any clues on how to do this?

• Moderators

@liz,

only you can really decide if the files are truly duplicates, so double check.  it is after-all your data, let CC guide your decision but don't trust it completely.

just saying....

it sounds like you do have a handle on your files though, so once you decide which folders can be 'merged', Windows should handle all the heavy lifting for you.

right clicking on one folder, select Cut, then Pasting that onto the destination folder, will make Windows pop up a message "file already exists, shall I merge files with same name?" (or words to that effect)

of course, standard safety rules apply; have a recent backup, and if you want to play it safe, select Copy instead of Cut and once you are happy with the result, the source folder can be deleted.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.