ublock users

hazelnut

ublock v1.12.1

gorhill released this

5 days ago

No code change, just a re-package with more recent filter lists to ensure uBlock Origin works out of the box with EasyPrivacy without breaking Facebook upload feature: a filter in EasyPrivacy was causing a false positive.

For existing installations, just force an update of EasyPrivacy.

I did not look into the details, but at first glance it seems the false positive appeared as a result of Facebook changing its code. It's unlikely sites such as Facebook (who would rather not encourage the use of blockers) would test their pages when using a blocker in order to ensure their site still works fine with a blocker.

Today I learned: a whole lot of users have no clue that most blockers work based on filter lists which can cause false positives. The Facebook issue would have happened with any blocker making use of EasyPrivacy.

False positives must be reported to filter list maintainers (not here), and often just forcing an update of filter lists may resolve an issue (because maybe somebody else reported the issue and it was fixed by maintainers).

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 4 weeks later...

ublock v1.12.2

gorhill released this

24 days ago

This stable release has been (erroneously) published as version 1.12.1 in Chrome store and Firefox AMO. No other change otherwise.

No code change, just a re-package with more recent filter lists to ensure uBlock Origin works out of the box with EasyPrivacy without breaking Facebook upload feature: a filter in EasyPrivacy was causing a false positive.

For existing installations, just force an update of EasyPrivacy.

I did not look into the details, but at first glance it seems the false positive appeared as a result of Facebook changing its code. It's unlikely sites such as Facebook (who would rather not encourage the use of blockers) would test their pages when using a blocker in order to ensure their site still works fine with a blocker.

Today I learned: a whole lot of users have no clue that most blockers work based on filter lists which can cause false positives. The Facebook issue would have happened with any blocker making use of EasyPrivacy.

False positives must be reported to filter list maintainers (not here), and often just forcing an update of filter lists may resolve an issue (because maybe somebody else reported the issue and it was fixed by maintainers).

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

ublock v1.12.4

gorhill released this

5 days ago

FirefoxCore

• Moderators

Just a quick note:

If you use uBlock Origin, and also Avira Browser Safety they are incompatible with each other - so choose one and uninstall the other and definitely don't have both running and installed at the same time.

I personally uninstalled Avira Browser Safety in favour of uBlock Origin which is much more useful to me.

When both are combined:

* As of uBlock Origin version 1.12 in Chrome/Chromium it was cause several issues, including a possible browser crash.

*As of uBlock Origin version 1.12.4 in Mozilla Firefox when exiting/closing Firefox it will crash.

• 1 month later...

ublock v1.13.0

gorhill released this

2 days ago

New New static network filter option: csp=

This new filter option allows to inject any Content Security Policy header in pages matching the filter. See #1930 (comment) for discussion about the rationale behind this new filter option.

Some existing filters may be converted internally to csp=-based filters by uBO. For example, a filter such as |blob:$script,[...] will be converted to *$csp=script-src 'self' * data: 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval',[...], in order to enforce the blocking of blob:-based URIs for scripts, something otherwise not possible through the chrome.webRequest API.

Element zapper

Ability to zap DOM elements on the current page:

b51a874a-43aa-11e7-8512-0927be4d8992.png

The purpose is to quickly deal with the removal of nuisance elements on a page without having to create one or more filters: see documentation.

Support for keyboard shortcuts

Features which can be launched using a keyboard shortcut:

• Enter element zapper mode: default to Alt-Z.
  • Enter element picker mode: default to Alt-X.
  • Open logger: default to Alt-L
For Chromium or WebExtension-compatible browsers

Update: Default keyboard shortcuts have been removed for Chromium-based browsers, because of issue #2723. You will have to bind your own shortcuts, as the default ones choosen originally (above) interfere with proper keyboard usage in some locales.

You can re-configure the shortcuts through the browser API. For Chromium-based browsers, go to chrome://extensions, scroll down then click on "Keyboard shortcuts". I suppose this depends of the browser, you will have to investigate.

For Firefox (non-webext version)

You can re-configure the default shortcuts for the above commands by opening about:config and filtering with extensions.ublock0. The default shortcuts are built-in, if you want to re-defined or un-set them, you will have to create the entries:

• extensions.ublock0.shortcuts.launch-element-zapper
  • extensions.ublock0.shortcuts.launch-element-picker
  • extensions.ublock0.shortcuts.launch-logger

To disable a built-in shortcut, set the value to -.

To reset to a default shortcut, reset the corresponding entry in about:config.

These about:config shortcut values are read only at launch time, so you will have to restart uBO for the changes to take effect.

Changes Some refactoring work of static filtering engine

• to be more modular and hence make it easier to extent filter syntax
  • to lessen overhead overall
  • to address #2598, #2630
  • to extend filter syntax to support csp= filter option.

This is an important refactoring. At first my intention was to add support for csp= filter syntax, but this required some refactoring, and while at it I decided to address a lot of other details regarding static filtering engine which I meant to address since a while, hence the extent of the changes to the code.

As a result, I have observed that baseline memory footprint of uBO itself is 5-6 MB less with 1.13.0 compared to 1.12.4 on both Chromium and Firefox (Linux 64-bit, default uBO settings).

Improved compatibility with Adguard's filter lists

See #2624. I do plan to add Adguard's English filter lists to uBO's stock filter lists for the next stable release.

Given that both Adguard and uBO support advanced filter syntax not supported by ABP (which advanced syntax benefit end users and make a filter list maintainer's life easier), and given that EasyList maintainers are limiting themselves to support no more than what ABP can support, enabling Adguard's filter lists as default list in their respective locale is something I am considering.

Closed as fixed: Firefox Nightly

Core

ublock v1.13.2

gorhill released this

8 hours ago

Closed as fixed:

Chromium-based browsers

• Inconvenient default hotkey mapping activation
    • Reportedly, the default keyboard shortcut I picked do not work for all locales. Consequently I removed default shortcuts and users will have to pick whatever work for them.
    • Important: For those already affected by the issue, the suggested shortcuts were already added and won't be removed with this update. You will have to remove or re-assign yourself by clicking "Keyboard shortcuts" link in the page chrome://extensions -- the link is at the bottom of the page.
Google Chrome, with uBO installed from Chrome store

ublock v1.13.4

gorhill released this

2 days ago

Notes:

Firefox: I brought back the hybrid-webext package (available below as uBlock0.webext.xpi), because it works as expected with Firefox 54. However it still does not work as expected with Firefox Nightly, because of https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1271354. Until this issue is fixed, the plan to officially start moving uBO onto its webext path on AMO has to be put on hold.

Changes:

To access the dashboard from the popup panel, a cogs icon has been added. The title bar of the popup panel is no longer clickable.

Closed as fixed:

Firefox

• Inconvenient default hotkey mapping activation
    • You will have to assign yourself whatever keyboard shortcut you want, there are no longer default shortcuts.
    • Open about:config and search for ublock0.shortcuts. No value means no shortcut.
    • See modifiers for valid modifiers.
    • Modifiers and key must be dash-separated (-), example: alt-shift-Z.
    • For reference, here are the shortcuts which were originally added (now removed):
      • extensions.ublock0.shortcuts.launch-element-zapper: alt-Z
      • extensions.ublock0.shortcuts.launch-element-picker: alt-X
      • extensions.ublock0.shortcuts.launch-logger: alt-L
Core

• Moderators

Changes:

To access the dashboard from the popup panel, a cogs icon has been added. The title bar of the popup panel is no longer clickable.

The title bar being non-clickable is so difficult to get used to.

• 3 weeks later...

ublock v1.13.6

gorhill released this

18 days ago

Notes:

This release contains a fix for Opera browser specifically -- no point installing it on other browsers.

Closed as fixed:

ublock v1.13.8

gorhill released this

2 days ago

Notes

Stock filter lists

I added code to enable me to remove stock filter lists in a seamless way for users. There are a couple of stock filter lists I wish to remove (because no longer maintained), but I refrain from doing so because it would be rude to remove a stock filter list which might be enabled for some users out there. The added code will convert removed stock filter lists which are enabled into imported filter lists, so that no change occurs in the resulting filterset from a user's point of view.

Firefox WebExtensions

I received an email from Firefox informing me that on September 1st, 2017, all the extensions having "featured" status which are not converted to webext on AMO will lose their "featured" status.

I plan to push the webext-hybrid version of uBO into uBO’s dev channel on AMO as soon as 1.13.8 is published. I don’t think the webext-hybrid qualifies as a webext, but is a necessary step to migrate user data seamlessly.

When I push webext-hybrid to dev channel of AMO, this will happen:

• script:contains filters will stop working
  • cosmetic filters will no longer use the browser's user styles
    • this is something I need to address -- user styles are still possible with webext, but this will require some non-trivial re-work because currently user styles are injected in content scripts, while with webext they have to be injected through the main process;
    • also I still need to take the time to create/demonstrate a real test case of what I see as a theoretical flaw in the API regarding style injection through tabs.insertCSS: the call is asynchronous, thus there is no guarantee the page which is meant to be injected is still present in the target tab.
  • For all those Firefox and Firefox-based browsers base on Firefox v53 and less, the dev channel of uBO will cease to work, and they will have to install manually the xpi version from the repo here.

When I decide to push to the dev channel, I will have to change the id of the extension in install.rdf, this is not done yet.

Closed as fixed:

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Warning for uBlock0 version 1.13.10

There is a problem with Firefox and the latest Ublock when it tries to install. 

Please see here for latest info.  In the link gorhill gives a link to 1.13.8 for users with 1 13 10 problems. Other workarounds in the thread.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/issues/2909

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks, Hazelnut & Trium. 

Ver 1.13.8 is working perfectly here on win xp for two portable browsers, Firefox 48.0.1 &  Seamonkey 2.46.  :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I wonder if it's only bothering the v55.x version of Firefox which seems to be the common version(s) in that Github link Hazelnut provided, and I wonder if it's not causing issues with 52.x ESR.

In any event I've disabled automatic updates for it, but I see no way to disable those in SRWare Iron ("Chrome clone").

hi andavari,

with srware iron - i mean there is no automatic update for extensions

in your srware iron -> customize and control-icon -> "extensions" -> click "update extensions now"

ublockerweiterungenaktualisier.jpg

but there is an option to deactivate apps to run in the background after closing iron

-> options

-> show extended settings -> scroll down to "system"

-> uncheck "continue running background apps when iron is closed"

... i have no updateinfo from 1.13.8 to 1.13.10 for now so i wait :) but i see it on the website B)

Important: If you are having issue with uBO being irremediably broken with the 1.13.10 update, try to un-install the re-install uBO -- possibly quitting Firefox before re-installing. See issue #2909 / https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1372750 (reportedly fixed in Firefox 56).

If this still does not work, you will have to fall back to re-installing 1.13.8 (legacy version).

ublock v1.13.10

gorhill released this

7 days ago

Firefox WebExtensions

Important: If you are having issue with uBO being irremediably broken with the 1.13.10 update, try to un-install the re-install uBO -- possibly quitting Firefox before re-installing. See issue #2909 / https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1372750 (reportedly fixed in Firefox 56).

If this still does not work, you will have to fall back to re-installing 1.13.8 (legacy version).

Direct link to 1.13.8: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/685614/ublock_origin-1.13.8-an+fx+sm+tb.xpi.

Once you installed 1.13.8 above, you will have to choose one of two options:

1. Backup all your settings, then install the pure webext version of uBO from the dev channel on AMO, which is not affected by the root issue. Here is a direct link to that version: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/709305/ublock_origin-1.13.11rc0-an+fx.xpi. Once you have installed the pure webext version, restore your settings from the backup file.

OR

1. Keep using 1.13.8 until Firefox 56 (in which the root issue is fixed). If you choose this option, you should probably disable the auto-update for uBO.[1]

[1] For Android, there is a setting to disable auto-update of extensions, but it applies to all extensions: about:config => extensions.autoupdate.enabled => false.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is the webext-hybrid version of uBlock Origin to be published on AMO. It's still is marked as "Legacy" in Firefox because of the data migration legacy code present, so as to seamlessly migrate your settings from legacy storage to webext storage.

See Firefox WebExtensions documentation for up to date information regarding the uBO/webext[-hybrid].

Closed as fixed: FirefoxCore

• Moderators

hi andavari,

with srware iron - i mean there is no automatic update for extensions

in your srware iron -> customize and control-icon -> "extensions" -> click "update extensions now"

Speaking of uBlock Origin only (no other extensions) it's the only extension I've seen in SRWare Iron that has on several occasions automatically updated itself with no user interaction to manually invoke it to update - even though automatic updating is coded to be disabled in SRWare Iron. That's why I had concerns for not being able to find a way to stop uBlock Origin from automatically updating.

I have however 7-Zip'd the installed version of uBlock Origin 1.13.8 for Chrome that I have installed should I need to restore it.

even though automatic updating is coded to be disabled in SRWare Iron. That's why I had concerns for not being able to find a way to stop uBlock Origin from automatically updating.

yes, in ff is a better handling for this - i have set all of it to manually updating.

per se i mean its a nice feature of iron for disabled automatic update extensions as the basic option :)

ublock v1.14.0

gorhill released this

4 days ago

Changes

Update 1: Apparently there are more issues for people using the 32-bit version of Firefox. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1371255#c21. Please report such issues to Firefox devs, there is nothing I can do. I can only recommend to people with Firefox 32-bit to stay on 1.13.8, or optionally install uBlock.firefox.xpi (legacy version) from Releases section.

Update 2: Also, there appears to be a limit to how much data can be stored in indexedDB, so if you have many more extra filter lists, not all of them will be able to load, and this can also break the future updating of whichever filter lists could load. In short, total mess. Just as I feared, there are issues with indexedDB. Wrong, there is no limit -- I erroneously concluded there was a limit. I can only hypothesize that it I was maybe my network connection which for whatever reason had become less responsive -- and led me to believe I could not add more filter lists.

Update 3: Some users are still using Firefox for Android 54. Unfortunately, this version does not have a way to access extension's popup panel or dashboard, this is fixed in Firefox for Android 55. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1331742.

To recover your lost settings:

Due to the many reported issues with the webext-hybrid version of uBO, I am pushing the pure webext version of uBO to AMO. If this causes all your custom settings to be lost, you can recover them by following these steps (two options offered):

Option 1

1. Install version 1.13.8: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/685614/ublock_origin-1.13.8-an+fx+sm+tb.xpi.
  2. Backup all your settings: go to the Settings pane in the dashboard, click on the "Back up to file" button at the bottom.
  3. Install latest stable release from AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/.
  4. Restore your settings: go to the Settings pane in the dashboard, click on the "Restore from file..." button at the bottom.

Option 2

OR, you still may want to first try the webext-hybrid approach, and maybe the issue affecting lots of users won't affect you:

1. Install version 1.13.10: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/708468/ublock_origin-1.13.10-an+fx.xpi.
  2. Install latest stable release from AMO: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/.

As required by AMO review process, the Firefox webext[-hybrid] version of uBO will no longer fetch the latest version of assets/filters/resources.txt from the project's repository.

The Firefox webext[-hybrid] version of uBO now uses indexedDB to store its cacheable assets[1]. There are positive and negative consequences as a result. See issue #2925 for details. Addendum: In light of https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1371255#c21, I can only recommend to people with Firefox 32-bit to stay on 1.13.8, or optionally install uBlock.firefox.xpi (legacy version) from Releases section.

[1] "Cacheable assets" refer to: filter lists downloaded from remote servers; compiled (pre-parsed) filter lists; "selfie" (kind of dated doc but "selfie" part is still relevant).

Closed as fixed: Firefox

Core

ublock v1.14.4

gorhill released this

2 days ago

Closed as fixed:

Firefox

• The pushed out 1.14.0 on Firefox ESR isn't webext compatible
    • As per popular demand, I set the minimum version to 52.0. However be warned that some features are not available, like the privacy settings for example.
    • uBO/webext should not be used on Firefox for Android 54 and less, because there is no way to access uBO's UI. This was fixed in Firefox for Android 55, so best is that you move to the latest stable version of Firefox for Android.
Core

ublock v1.14.6

gorhill released this

23 hours ago

Notes Firefox

There are many reports of people experiencing issues with some web sites, or images not loading, etc. Turns out many of these are a result of using some legacy extensions along uBO/webext. For instance, Reek's AAK in GreaseMonkey has been causing issues with images not loading.

If you experience such issue, you will have to disable all your legacy extensions and see if this fixes your issue. If so, then you will have to re-enable your legacy extension one by one to find the one(s) causing the problem.

Everything is moving to WebExtensions, so it might be just a good time to start giving up on legacy extensions, they are not going to be supported at all in a couple of weeks when Firefox 57 is released.

Another option is to install uBO 1.13.8 and disable auto-update for it.

There is also an issue specific to webext extensions, which can cause a web page to load improperly: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1396226.

Firefox for Android

There are issues with accessible uBO's dashboard or popup panel in Firefox for Android 55. These issues are resolved in Firefox for Android Nightly, and also in Firefox for Android Beta I believe.

See issue #2958 for discussion.

Closed as fixed: Firefox

What to do if 1.13.10 won't install (dev instructions)

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/1.13.10

i mean i have saved me a little thing of trouble without the update v1.13.10 ;)  :D