Ccleaner (free) not purging some Firefox files

inojim

I downloaded and have run Ccleaner 5.23.5808 but am not seeing the level of cleaning that I did with previous versions.  My browser is Firefox 49.0.1 running under Windows Vista.

With earlier versions, I could either sign out of my gmail account, or not, and then after running Ccleaner, when I pointed by Firefox browser to: gmail.com, I would get Google mail's default sign-in page.  At that point I could sign in to one or the other of my gmail accounts.  Now, however, after running Ccleaner and signing in to gmail, I am presented with my personalized email home page.  In other words, even clearing History, Cookies and all Internet cache, evidently I'm still transmitting identifying information to Google.  This does not seem right, based on previous experience.

I made the same test using Internet Explorer 9, and Ccleaner worked just fine there.  After a cleaning, bringing up gmail under IE brought up the default sign-in page.

Another hint that Ccleaner is missing stuff.  I have now run Ccleaner a number of times in an attempt to prove or clarify this problem.  When I signed back onto the forum here, using Firefox, I was shown as signed-in, even though running Ccleaner should have removed whatever history that carried my earlier sign-in before I ran Ccleaner.

• Admin

Hi inojim,

It sounds like you might have Intelligent Cookie Scan enabled which is saving both your Google and Piriform cookies by default.

Could you please go to Options > Cookies and remove both Piriform and Google from the list and see if the problem persists?

Thanks, Tom

Tom:

You hit the nail right on the head!  When installing the latest version of Ccleaner, I did check the Intelligent Cookie Scan box, trusting that the key word, 'intelligent,' automatically made it the right thing to do.  I don't believe that I ever researched the term on the Website, and really had no idea what it did/does.  My problem now is, that I can't figure out how to uncheck that box.  I looked under Cookies, and under Tools/Settings and /Advanced, but find no mention of the Intelligent Cookie Scan 'switch.'  I can clear these manually for now, and when there's an update to Ccleaner, I'll be sure NOT to check that box!  Many thanks.

• Admin

Morning, I'm glad that we've worked out what has caused the issue!

The Intelligent Cookie Scan just runs during the installation and moves any cookies that it believes you may want, to your 'Cookies to keep' list. If you go to Options > Cookies then you can find the cookies in question on the list on the right, and move them to the list on the left (Cookies on Computer). Once they're in this list, CCleaner will start removing them again.

Tom