CCleaner killed my hard drive?

tuj1147

Ran a routine cleaning last night (including wipe MFT free space) on my Dell Inspiron Laptop. Started the cleaner before bed, and then had some errands to run this morning. When I finished running errands, I went to my computer to put the finishing touches on a paper that is due Saturday so that I could concentrate on studying for my Calc II final. The CCleaner screen was still up saying the cleaning was complete with the usual list of deleted items displayed. I tried to "x" out of CCleaner, but it wouldn't close. Also, Firefox wouldn't open. Thinking the computer was just frozen (the reason for the cleaning in the first place) I just restarted the computer. When the computer started to reboot, it got hung up on a Dell SupportAssist screen saying "Initializing Fan...". I tried restarting again several times and each time, the computer made less progress. I ran the Diagnostic ePSA and got the error message "Hard drive 0-0-0 - DST Short Test failed ; Error Code 2000-0151". In a panic, I tried restarting again, hoping for a miracle, and received a message saying that I didn't have a hard drive installed. Because I have a paper on the drive that isn't backed up (stupid, I know) and would take too long to re-write before the due date, I went to BestBuy and bought a new hard drive, Windows 10, and a hard drive enclosure to attempt to recover my paper. After swapping out the drives and installing Windows, I connected the dead drive. The drive still displays the usual folders, but they are all shown as being empty. The only folder I can't open is my user folder (the one with all of my files, of course). When I try to open it, it says I don't have the proper permissions. I tried to scan the drive with Recuva, but it gives an error message: "Unable to determine file system type". When I right click the drive icon on file explorer and click properties, it shows 86 gigs of used space, which is around what I expect the disk usage to have been before this disaster.

TL;DR: I used CCleaner and my hard drive had a stroke. Any ideas on how to recover my school documents?

• Moderators

You say the laptop had an error and was frozen.

So you decided to run CCleaner to try and ''fix it''.

After leaving it for hours and then finding it frozen (again) you then decide CCleaner has killed your hard drive?

Have a read here for how to get permission on the user folder

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/salvaging-harddrive-cant-access-user-folder-or/a529e508-09f5-4b71-8f14-07b9c49bb262

Also consider posting in the Recuva area of the forum for possible.help with recovering your docs

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

how many passes did you tell the wipe free space process to do?

sadly it sounds like CC may have finished off an already failing drive with excessive I/O.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

more info on error code 2000-0151 here; http://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsdt1/SLN288966/en#Using

in particular...

PSA NA ePSA 2000-0151  Hard Drive - Incorrect status = [x] SMART Predictive Failure indicates the hard drive has failed SMART. Check http://www.dell.com/Support/ for a firmware update for your hard drive. Update the firmware if one is available. Reseat the drive is a portable, reseat the data cable at both ends and the power connection if a desktop, and then repeat the PSA diagnostics.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.