What is

phonymouse

Secure Deletion?

if i should use it, what is the best...

Simple overwrite (1 pass)

DOD 5220.22-M (3 Passes)

NSA (7 Passes)

Gutmann (35 Passes)

I run a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 computer, and have the latest version of CCleaner, and have used it for about 3 weeks, and understand what most of it means, but dont know if i should use secure deletions, help?

Well, unless you keep secret government documents, I think a simple overwrite is really what you're looking for :)

Even if you wanted secure deletion, I would go as far as DoD. Everything over 5 passes, I personally consider it paranoid.

Naah, I don't think you need it, but perhaps a CCleaner mod can enlighten us more upon the secure deletion subject.

I would go for a DoD with everything checked on CCleaner (System, Advanced, applications, etc) after having got rid of malware, just to make sure all remnants are "securely" deleted.

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I have read that DOD 5220.22-M (3 Passes) will do the job.

Using it will slow down the process, the more overwrite passes the longer it will take.

I have used it in the past, but opted for a file shredder when I feel the need for a secure delete.

Although, some will say the only way to make sure your files are gone is to take a hammer to your hard drive.

Jamin4u

ya, well, i had malware, but it never infected anything big in my computer, just little small apps which were detected by AVG and thrown in virus vault, but if i wont use it unless some more experienced users (admins/mods) will recommend using it

Secure Deletion?

if i should use it, what is the best...

Simple overwrite (1 pass)

DOD 5220.22-M (3 Passes)

NSA (7 Passes)

Gutmann (35 Passes)

I run a Windows XP Home Edition SP3 computer, and have the latest version of CCleaner, and have used it for about 3 weeks, and understand what most of it means, but dont know if i should use secure deletions, help?

Hi mouse,

CCleaner is a Windows OS cleaning program and not really a "disk wiping" program.

However it will overwrite the files that "it" deletes in it's process when requested.

There are many reasons why other data still exists on your PC after being deleted by other means.

I don't use the "secure delete" option because I know that most of what I delete will be overwritten very quickly in my normal daily use.

If I accidentally delete data that I want to recover I have a better chance of recovering it if I have not used the "secure delete" option in CCleaner.

I also know that I must act quickly and use my previously installed copy of Piriform's "Recuva" program to "recover" that data as soon as possible. I also use "Recuva" once a month to "secure delete" any left over pieces of data.

One (1) overwrite is sufficient to "secure delete" data for 99.999 % of users.

:) davey

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

• Moderators

For modern systems with the NTFS file system typically 1 wipe is more than enough and in fact it doesn't need to be enabled at all times, just enable it if you're removing sensitive data like for instance a Quicken document with financial information, etc.

For completely wiping out the contents of a hard disk which you're going to replace, or for a computer you're going to sale off for something new look into DBAN.