Test for Low Memory

tommyk

I'll use CCleaner to see which tasks/programs/update are run upon start up.

AVAST has been on the system for several years. I use Windows Firewall. This all started when there was a huge Windows Update several months ago. I went to Geeks to Go and went through the entire process of searching for a virus and/or spyware which were not detected. The tech there thought the only other option was low memory. After getting your help here it now appears that is the case. It looks like more memory or a new computer are the only options.

I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks

Windows updates aren't always perfect. In 2010 I noticed that Windows Update Service was enabled by one Windows update. Every time I started my laptop it would make my laptop a complete snail for the first say 10 minutes. And It seemed Microsoft noticed the error and corrected the flaw. But that was only after 4 or 5 months. The solution for me was to manually switch on the Windows Update Service once a week. Hopefully Microsoft notices this error ASAP and corrects this error. In the mean time try if CM helps you to ease your problems.

Perhaps readers of this thread have a better solution ?

Edited by Willy2

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I applied all the recommendations suggested here and my computer is performing better . . . but still slow, especially at start-up. According to CleanMem the Memory Used at start up goes well over 400 MB. Once I'm up and running the system is quicker. I'll see how things go and if I can live with it I'll stay with what I got, but if it starts to S-L-O-W down again I'll have to think about more memory and/or new computer.

Thanks to all who helped and made suggestions!

Sorry . . . one more thing: this is what I found running at start up per CCleaner (I disabled Quick Time & Sun Java) Not sure what ctfmon.exe is (Anything else need to be disabled at start up?)

Yes HKCU:Run ccleaner "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Yes HKLM:Run CleanMem Mini Monitor C:\Program Files\CleanMem\Mini_Monitor.exe /startup

No HKLM:Run QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

No HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

Yes Startup Common PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.0.lnk C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO AutoStart\AutoStartupService.exe

Sorry . . . one more thing: this is what I found running at start up per CCleaner (I disabled Quick Time & Sun Java) Not sure what ctfmon.exe is (Anything else need to be disabled at start up?)

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Yes HKLM:Run CleanMem Mini Monitor C:\Program Files\CleanMem\Mini_Monitor.exe /startup

No HKLM:Run QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

No HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

Yes Startup Common PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.0.lnk C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO AutoStart\AutoStartupService.exe

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

Ctfmon.exe activates the Alternative User Input Text Input Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar.

You can disable also the rest except for CCleaner & CleanMem.

So the list should look something like this:

Yes	HKCU:Run	ccleaner	"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO
No	HKCU:Run	ctfmon.exe	C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Yes	HKLM:Run	CleanMem Mini Monitor	C:\Program Files\CleanMem\Mini_Monitor.exe /startup
No	HKLM:Run	QuickTime Task	"C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
No	HKLM:Run	SunJavaUpdateSched	"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
No	Startup Common	PHOTOfunSTUDIO 6.0.lnk	C:\Program Files\Common Files\Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO AutoStart\AutoStartupService.exe

Edited by nodles

"Jusched.exe" is a good example of a program that shouldn't be run upon startup. Instead use the Task Scheduler to check for Java updates and let it be executed every week or month. Let TS execute the program "jucheck.exe"". That program is hiding somewhere on your harddrive. Use the program "Everything" (Google "Everything", "Voidtools".) to find out where it's hiding.

http://www.howtogeek...-is-it-running/

WARNING: Everytime a program updates itself, it can re-enable the "run upon start up" option. "Java update" certainly does !!! So, you need to check and re-check this every now and then.

Another suggestion: Set the time interval for CM (Task Scheduler) at 5 minutes. That will keep Windows' memory usage "on a short leash".

Edited by Willy2

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

You can do much better than

That is going to slow down your start-up whilst it inspects your system and removes junk.

I suggest that instead you auto clean at SHUT-DOWN, not at start-up, with a desktop shortcut

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO /SHUTDOWN

This will save you "X" seconds delay at system start-up when you are eager to use the P.C.,,

and simply add those "X" seconds to the shut-down sequence that occurs when you leave the computer.

Youtube how to change memory. It's easy.

1) Power off the computer & disconnect power to it. Cycle the power button with it unplugged to drain residual power on the motherboard.

2) Open your case & locate RAM slots.

3) Find a RAM slot. Note the other RAM orientation & carefully pop the new RAM into an unused slot, being careful to only handle by the edges, & only firstly after you have grounded yourself so that you do not release static into the RAM & kill it.

After making sure it is secure, & the lock pins on the side slide into place, put the case back on & power the PC up. It should detect the new RAM.

Enjoy being a genius!

• Moderators

Don't worry Tommy, I think you will be able to manage it :)

Have a watch of this

The only really tricky bit is making sure you push the memory stick down so that the little plastic locking arms at either end snap into place.

So first find out which memory you need via Crucial, get it, fit it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

only firstly after you have grounded yourself so that you do not release static into the RAM & kill it.

Also try not to kill yourself :)

I hold the computer metal-work with one hand when inserting/removing RAM,

and I ensure that I do not at the same time touch any other earthed item / electric fire / soldering iron / radiator / plumbing / kitchen sink,

just in case any earth path is broken and I provide an earth return path and get a shock.

OK . . . I'll look into purchasing more RAM. How do I determine how much to get? Is it better to get it at a local computer store or on-line?

I'm assuming everyone is kidding about getting electrocuted! There are some things worth dying for . . . more RAM is not one of them! :P

U may get charged for installing the RAM if you let someone else do it.

Crucial Memory Scanner is very easy. Download it & run it. It will tell you how much RAM you have, how much & what type your PC supports, & how much it will be.

You can directly order from their page & (Usually) receive it in 3 to 5 business days, or local retailer if your impatient.

But at least you'll know the approximate cost it should be!