Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

Also I have 4 sata controllers in my system... just sayin..

PC Specs:

MB: Asrosk Extreme x58

CPU: i-7 920 @ 3,8 Ghz

RAM: Corsair XMS3 (4x2) 8GB DDR-3 1333Mhz Triple Channel

GPU: nVidia GTX 480

HDD:DiamondMax 23 500GB SATA 3Gb/s - STM3500418AS ATA Device 500GB (465 GB)

• 5 weeks later...

Please enable "Boot-Time Defrag" in portable version too.

At next system restart, it will defrag the system disk during the boot time, it will remove any registry entries and disk files added for this operation and then it will load the whole operating system.

Thank you

Hello,

My suggestion::rolleyes:

1. Add time, like we can see approximate time before finish

2. At this moment we have two PRIORITY options: normal & background (exaly I don't have any diffirent beetween), so maybe need add options like HIGH? To really be aggressive to system like example: RAM more usage (not 200-300mb like now) + CPU load ( at this moment 3-12%) 50% to make defraggler work more better & more faster.

AMD LCS 5970 750/1050

Nvidia nforce 790i Ultra SLI MCP

Q6600 2.4 => 3.0

OCZ DDR3 PC3 14400 Platinum 1024 x 4

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000 M

Windows 7 64x Home Premium

• Moderators
. Add time, like we can see approximate time before finish

This was not done as it is NEVER correct because the time amount remain for defrag (or really anything)changes and adds and removes (seemingly) haphazardly which in turn would result in many users posting to the forum "My Defraggler has said 3 min remaining for the past 21 hours)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

A higher process priority won't make a program run faster it just guarantees it gets more time executing code in case the CPU was being pegged by another application.

The reality is Defraggler can only work as fast the hard drive reads and writes changing process priority would have very little or no effect on the outcome.

For a quicker defrag don't run background applications that access the file system, having 2 applications fighting over for disk access would certainly slow things down.

Richard S.

A higher process priority won't make a program run faster it just guarantees it gets more time executing code in case the CPU was being pegged by another application...

For a quicker defrag don't run background applications that access the file system, having 2 applications fighting over for disk access would certainly slow things down.

The process that gets higher CPU priority will indirectly get higher disk priority too -- the lower-priority applications will be running slower, so they won't be making as frequent I/O requests.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to all who have contributed to the development of this fantastic program! I use Defraggler for ALL of my defrag needs, and no longer use Windows XP default defrag as Defraggler works better every time!

The only suggestion that I have is when selecting "Replace Windows Disk Defragmenter" I would also love to have it replace the default windows defrag in the Win XP Computer Management window. I know that Diskeeper and a couple of others have that option. To keep the file size down for Diskeeper, this feature could even be implemented as a separate download as a "Patch" option.

We would need:

DfrgSnap.dll

DfrgUI.dll

dfrg.inf

Defraggler.msc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

- Consolidate and move directory/clusters/file system structure (and MFT?) to the beginning of the disk

- Sort files by access time and move rarely used files to the end of disk

- Compact and defragment registry

- Clean/free and defragment memory (RAM)

- Feature comparison with other open source and commercial defragmentators

• 1 month later...

Sometimes when a programm crash or someone power off the Computer without shoutdown, the data wont lost...

Omitting routine shutdown is irrelevant. SRAM and DRAM are volatile; the data can exist only with electricity, so powering off the computer terminates the memory.

Types of RAM Both static and dynamic RAM are considered volatile, as their state is lost or reset when power is removed from the system. Wiki

Deutsch-Wiki Arten von RAMs Die heute gängigsten werden hauptsächlich in Computern eingesetzt und sind „flüchtig“ (auch: volatil), das heißt, die gespeicherten Daten gehen nach Abschaltung der Stromzufuhr verloren.

• 4 weeks later...

how is it with the possibility to defrag the pagefile from windows?

i have any trys to create one continuous pagefile, but xp (the pig, the black :D ) was not my opinion.

can something like this integrated in defraggler?

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

these option i dont know until now, because this normaly not means to defrag the pagefile.sys. in other programs or even in Windows

but good to know now, thank you for this tip @kroozer :-)

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Sometimes when a programm crash or someone power off the Computer without shoutdown, the data wont lost...

one little easy way to prevent lose data or minimize this is to deaktivate the writecache of harddisc, but its reduced harddisk-performance

but for ram... help nothing by a power off

And RAM is volatile -- all data is lost at reboot or power off.

I remember when this was NOT true. See :-

http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/pdp-11/core.html

I actually designed a Power supply that adjusted the voltage to compensate for the effects of temperature on the switching currents of core arrays used for controlling telephone switching networks.

Happy Analogue days :)

• 2 months later...

curious, why not move this to the 'suggestions' forum?

also, modifying the front post, OP, would be helpful, if not too hard; like summarizing all the posted ideas with a green check or red x in front of each on the list, the date it was adopted or rejected, and by whom

;}

;>jamvaru

When will the "when idle" schedule option be fixed? I just noticed that my drive is 13% fragmented because Degraggler no longer defrags when my system is idle.

The current schedule option that "starts defrag only if the computer is idle for" option doesn't help. The defrag still only starts once a day or once a week, and it only does that IF the system is idle at that scheduled time. That is not the same as "defrag anytime my system is idle."

Now I have to google for an older version of deffragler, and stop letting it install updates.

Hi, i have some ideas for new features for Defraggler.

1) real time optimalization - Defraggler will run at sys tray ( or background) and find optimal place for writing files.

2) Defraggler have large number of users , why Piriform don't give possibility for making user-made defrag scheme. "More heads better than one" (best with GUI , for example: *select box* ( find /defrag) *2nd select box* (biggest file/most

fragmented file/ free space etc.) *3rd select box* (and/or) move the file to *4th select

box* (the biggest free space, the smallest free space which is bigger than file, end HDD .... ) and creating from this "rules" scheme.

3) built-in system for sharing schemes ( see par 2) between users

4) what about make some image ( or utility for making it by self-own user ) of bootable DVD or USB flash for offline defrag of all disc and no only some files ( http://www.piriform....oot-time-defrag )

5)Defragler can defrag individual files. What about adding planner ?? I think, user can add files to planner and execute it. Planer will defrag first file, after that second, third ....... or free space ....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Topic Locked and unpinned as there is an entire forum board for this

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com