Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

The windows defragmenter ignores all fragments less than 64mb by default. I have several large ISOs on my drive, and it's such a waste of time to defragment a 4gb file when it only has a few fragments.

I would use Defraggler as my default defragmenter if it could do this.

Defraggler v1.09 has feature where one can look for defragmented files which are smaller or larger than a certain size. I think it bloats the program. It should be omitted.

The program has the possibility to defrag selected files and these selected files are moved towards the begin of the the disk. But perhaps it's possible to add a button as well with which one can defrag selected files towards the end of the disk.

I don't like the new versions v1.08 and v1.09.

In version 1.07 the program automatically detects where the fragments of a defragmented file are located. They show up on the diskmap. Once this file is moved to another directory the file no longer shows up in the map once this file is re-highlighted. In fact, the program rereads the filetable. This feature I DO like very much.

But this feature is removed from versions v1.08 and v1.09. In these latest versions the program seem to say the file fragments still are located in the original directory.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I have 8 harddisks on my system,

Defragging them can really be painful, too long to wait.

I found the way that defragmentation speed can be boosted up.

for example i have disk C as system and D,E,F for data

i need to defrag disk E

defraggler can check for available space on disks D & F

and made moove operations from disk E to D and back from D to E

it can be faster with long (more than 2Gb) files.

i really like defraggler. its small, simple and straight to the point.

one annoyance that i do have with it is...

when you full screen defraggler, close it, then open it back up, its not full screened again, but its still more or less the same size as your resolution.

but it seems to be making an attempt as when you check the settings in the ini it has the window pixel size and a full screen flag.

perhaps this only happens when you choose to save your settings to ini.

Also, please make a minimize to tray setting. That would also be greatly appreciated

The windows defragmenter ignores all fragments less than 64mb by default. I have several large ISOs on my drive, and it's such a waste of time to defragment a 4gb file when it only has a few fragments.

I would use Defraggler as my default defragmenter if it could do this.

It does do this, but you must chose to deselect the larger files that you do not wish to defrag.

I use PGP WholeDisk Encryption (9.10) on my Windows Vista PC. I would like to use defraggler (as i do on other PC's) but am really worried about the drefraggler corrupting the disk.

PGP put a warning about third party defraggers saying that there is an important file that should not be moved. Here is the issue and resolution:

Issue

After defragmenting a PGP Whole Disk encrypted boot volume with a third-party disk defragmenter (i.e. not the Microsoft Disk Defragmenter), the computer will no longer boot into Windows. Instead, the computer boots to the black "bootguard" screen (that displays bootguard in the top left corner).

Cause

During defragmentation, some third-party disk defragmenters move a critical PGP file (PGPWDE01) which is used during bootup of a computer protected by PGP Whole Disk encryption.

Resolution

The resolution to this issue is to exclude the PGP WDE file from Defragmentation. If your disk defragmenter allows you to exclude files from defragmentation, exclude the PGPWDE01 file from defragmentation. For reference, the PGPWDE01 is a hidden file located in the root of the encrypted volume. For example, if your encrypted boot volume is the C: drive, the PGPWDE01 file would be located at C:\PGPWDE01.

In summary to guarantee that the disk won't be knackered you need to exclude the C:\PGPWDE01 file from any defrag attempt. I realise that i can "analyse" the disk, then manually exclude the file but am worried that i might one day get it wrong.

Has anyone experience with this process, and (a question to Piriform) can you hard code the exclusion of the C:\PGPWDE01 file in the code so that your software will be compliant? You could probably get Defraggler listed as one of the compliant defragmentation tools on their web site.

Cheers,

r

It does do this, but you must chose to deselect the larger files that you do not wish to defrag.

You misunderstood. I want Defraggler to ignore large FRAGMENTS, not large files! Defragmenting a 4gb file in 10 pieces is a waste of time. On the other hand, defragmenting a 4gb file in 1000 pieces might be worth it.

Only doing a partial defrag by ignoring large fragments will give near full performance, yet take a lot less time than a full defrag.

- Add a legend that will allow the user to know what type of files are occupying the disk. For example, different color clocks to distinguish between occupied space, used space, fragmented space, page file, MFT

- Allow the user to customize the colors that are displayed in the legend. That way, it is more customizable and the user can change the default block color for fragmented files to whatever they like

- Add an animation, similar to the one in Vopt, that lets the user know what blocks are being moved and where they are being moved to

- Add an option to move all System Restore files to the end of the disk

- Make it so that removable drives (optical and floppy) do not appear in the list unless there is active media in the drive. Otherwise, the space that it occupies is somewhat of a waste as it is not necessary

- Add an option to run CCleaner cleaning before the defragmentation starts

• 2 weeks later...

Add the filetypes *.7z *.msi and *.msp to the archives category.

I personally added these files and then checked to move files larger than 0 MB to the end of the partition.

This has the effect that all archives of the windows install on my C: partition move nicely to the end of the partition.

Furthermore please add the following to "Disk Images"

*.vdi|*.vmdk|*.tib

The "Defrag Free Space" is very backwards (or so it seems). It looks like the algorithm looks at the first empty spot, and then finds the first equally sized piece to fit in their. I gather this from the way the yellow and green blocks are placed in the graphic analyzer.

I think the following would be much more efficient: look for the first empty location; fill it with the LAST equally sized piece.

Consider a row of dominoes in which someone removes the second piece. Instead of taking the third and moving it to the second, and then repeating 1000 times, simply take the last and move it to the second right off.

Maybe it already does do this, or there is a setting to allow for exactly that. I apologize if so.

It would also be nice if the "Defrag Free Space" preferred to fill holes with fragmented data. This would slightly defragment the drive while also filling up all those holes

Suggestion:

When defragging free space, if the "move large files to end of drive" flag is checked, then large files at the end of the drive should be ignored (ie. not moved).

It seems that defragging free space then moves the large files from the end of the drive back to the end of the main data block. This is very time consuming and contradicts the flag setting. This results in the large files being moved back to the end of the drive next time a normal/full disk defrag is done.

But great work!

Currently I have installed v1.10 and I like this version more than v1.08 and v1.09.

The tab "Search" can be improved and it has some odd things.

1. One can tick a box called "Include non-fragmented files". When this box is ticked and a number of defragmented files is selected manually, these defragmented files can not be moved by Defraggler towards the beginning of the disk. These files are skipped by Defraggler.

It would be useful to add another function in this program. Add a feature which enables the user to move manually selected files (after using the Search File function) both defragmented and fragmented, towards the end of the disk or to the beginning of the disk. The way to enable the user would be to either by adding a "Move towards end of disk" button or by abling the user to tick a box withe the same name.

I think either the "Include Defragmented files" should be omitted or give the user the ability to move defragmented files.

2. Not only files but (sub-)directory files show up as well. However, in the tab called "Filelist" directory files don't show up. Is this done intentionally ?

3. If one selects a (fragmented) directory file and one clicks on "Defrag ......." all the files in that directory are defragmented as well. One would expect that only the directory file is defragmented and not the entire content of the selected directory. Again, is this done intentionally ???

I think that if the user wants to defragment the entire directory he/she should use the "Highlight folder" feature.

Sorry, I do not speak English .. This is an automatic translation

First of all I want to congratulate the people of piriform for the work they do. In fact I referenced from my website when completed.

Suggestions:

1 .- Develop Task Scheduler to support multiple tasks related to specific files or folders.

2 .- There is enough space in the main window to not hide the legend.

3 .- It may be useful to include sound alerts, for example, 50%, 75% to 90% and an 100% to remote monitor progress without having to come to watch the Pc. The sound files can be specified by the user or created for this purpose.

Nice Work!!.. Good luck

I have additional suggestions how to improve Defraggler v1.10.

A. The "Search" function in v1.10. I think this function should behave something like this:

1. The "Search" tab should be replaced by a "Search" button under the filelist.

2. Click on the "Search" button and a separate new window opens on top of the filelist and or drivemap (and not in the filelist like in v1.10). Here one can specify with which parameters the search should be performed.

3. Click on the "Search" or "OK" ( or another) button in the newly opened window to start the search. After or before the files have been found that new window should close.

4. The results should - in my opinion - be displayed in the filelist under the "Filelist" tab. And that's why the "Filelist" tab should be activated.

5. When the user wants to perform a new "Search" then he/she should click on the "Search" button again. Of course, the previous settings of a "Search" should be preserved.

The programmers should think well and hard which types of files are allowed to show up in the filelist as well. A whole bunch of weird files like "Pagefile.sys", "$MFT", "$...." and "....Zone identifier" etc. show up in the "Search" list. I don't know whether the Windows system allows all/some of these special system files to be moved, whether moving these system files will result in a break down of the Windows system.

I think files like directory files (which contain the content of a particular directory) and the system file "thumbs.db" should be the only ones to be allowed to show up, all others shouldn't be displayed or they shouldn't be allowed to be defragmented.

C. I think the information of a drive shouldn't be displayed in the tab called "Drive ...." but in a separate window which opens on top of the drivemap and/or filelist and this information should be displayed only the first time a drive is analyzed. Just like the way it's programmed in v1.10.

I think it would be better that instead of using the tab "Drive ...", there should be a button behind each row of drive information in the drivelist (which shows all the detected drives like A:, C:, D:, .... etc.). By clicking on that button the user can obtain information which otherwise would be available under the "Drive ...." tab.

It would be useful to add another function in this program. Add a feature which enables the user to move manually selected files (after using the Search File function) both defragmented and fragmented, towards the end of the disk or to the beginning of the disk. The way to enable the user would be to either by adding a "Move towards end of disk" button or by abling the user to tick a box withe the same name.

I think either the "Include Defragmented files" should be omitted or give the user the ability to move defragmented files.

Yes - I agree with - THAT would't be an handy option!

Anyway - my thanks again to the Defraggler-Team for this smart Tool! :)

cheers

at least once a day : to think different ;o)

Hi Piriform,

another low priority suggestion would be to not rely on users having a specific internet browser like internet explorer.

When I click on "help" and "about" there are links like "www.defraggler.com" or "www.piriform.com".

Now, for security reasons I have IE generally disabled and use firefox instead. ,When I click on your links, nothing happens even though my mouse changes its' looking when I hovver over your links.

It would be nice if clicking on your links would open a new tab on my browser window.

Or when I get informed that a new version of your software is available for download, I'd also like a seperate window tab in my browser to open up.

Thanks for your great software.

Regards

linux4all

Hi Piriform,

another low priority suggestion would be to not rely on users having a specific internet browser like internet explorer.

When I click on "help" and "about" there are links like "www.defraggler.com" or "www.piriform.com".

Now, for security reasons I have IE generally disabled and use firefox instead. ,When I click on your links, nothing happens even though my mouse changes its' looking when I hovver over your links.

It would be nice if clicking on your links would open a new tab on my browser window.

Or when I get informed that a new version of your software is available for download, I'd also like a seperate window tab in my browser to open up.

Thanks for your great software.

Regards

linux4all

When I click on the links, it opens a new FF tab...Same thing for updates...

Piriform French translator

When I click on the links, it opens a new FF tab...Same thing for updates...

Well I just tried again and in my german version of defraggler, nothing happens when I click on those links.

I have disabled IE to access the web through my firewall.

Don't know the cause.

Regards,

linux4all

Please add an option to prevent the computer from entering standby when defragmenting.

If this is already a hidden feature of Defraggler, it does not work on my computer, which is running Windows 7 RC x86.

Thank you.